Inverter location?

wyleyrabbit

As I sit here shopping for a modest (500 to 600 watts, I think) pure sine inverter, it occurred to me that I should probably as the group a couple of things. Our 3055RL has 2 x 6V golf cart batteries in the same compartment as the slide hydraulics stuff, and the unit was factory wired for an Onan LP Generator, which we will probably never acquire. We have dual 110W solar panels on the roof.

When we're boondocking (well, camping in a BC Provincial Park campground that has no hookups) and running off of batteries, the only thing we'd want to use 110V power for would be to run the TV and stereo (170W and 60W respectively), run my laptop (~ 95W), charge my camera batteries (~15W), and charge my cell phone (~15W); it's unlikely that I'd ever need to do all of this things simultaneously.

I am seriously thinking that I don't need to do anything with the inverter other than screw it to the front wall of the basement, and run a couple of wires over to the batteries. From there, I think I should be able to simply connect a 15A extension cord (the ubiquitous orange ones that everyone has) to the the 15A to 30A adapter, then the 30A to 50A adapter, then to the huge black cord that would be plugged in to the shore power plug on the side. Am I wrong?

Northern Virginia
I would be worried about other things on the same circuit as the tv/stereo circuits and the receptacle circuit that you will be using for the other items. You have many unseen things that all want to run (pumps,battery charger, smoke/gas/co2 detectors, etc) that share those circuits. Since you are plugged in, won't the converter will be using line power (from the inverter) to power the converter?

I would want a dedicated circuit or two, run directly from the inverter.

Just some thoughts, hope this helps-

John

wyleyrabbit

Hmmm. Some good points John. When a dealer hard-wires the inverter, how do they deal with the same points you made?

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
Smoke and CO detectors run off alkaline batteries, not AC. The LP gas detector is wired to the coach battery power, not AC.

wyleyrabbit

So then the only concern would be that the converter might try to charge the house batteries. There must be a way to prevent this, right?

thomasinnv

the fridge will also try to run on the ac. you would need to manually switch it to gas. also don't forget about phantom loads...things like tv's, dvd players, stereos and microwaves will all use a small amount of power if they are plugged in, even when they are 'off'.

wyleyrabbit

Would the circuit breaker be on the converter? Or just in the breaker panel?

Doesn't the power flow from the campground through the converter then to the various breakers? I haven't seen a wiring diagram but would like to make sure this will work.

jmgratz

Original Owners Club Member
You will be able to use your DC 12 volt powered items as long as the batteries hold out. But remember low 12 volt power can damage some items.

k6fn

K6FN
hello.. im having similar delimmas.. I want to install an inverter to power the tv and dvd player plus maybe make coffee in the early hours pre-generator run time, but dont want to always use extensive battery power when hooked up to shore power..
a main concern when depending to shut off breakers is that you slip and forget something, you can make things go "Boom" if you paralled inverter and shore power at the same time without proper phasing.
my 2000 watt inverter draws 3 amp DC load on standby so beware ! they are power hogs.. im still in the experimental stage on this..
good luck
jerry/Riverside, ca.

porthole

Retired
You can solve your "boom" problems by using a proper transfer switch, either automatic or manual.
These are made to be a "break before make" switch. E.G. it will physically disconnect the shore power before making the connection with the inverter.

These are common in the marine world.

Many of the hard wired inverters used in the marine industries have an auto transfer switch built in. Similar to what you have in a properly installed RV genset.

I had a 3KW Heart Interface inverter in our last boat. No genset and it worked great. Plugged in it was a "smart" multi stage 90 amp battery charger. Unplugging from shore power was an instant transfer to inverter power, and it was enough to make coffee etc. Even ran a small portable AC unit with the engines running (to keep the batteries up)

RVCamper

On my trailer I put the inverter in the front compartment and hooked it to the batteries with 3Ga wire. From there I used an extension cord to "upstairs" in the unit to power the TV, etc.

2965540520103722371S425x425Q85.jpg

2001730500103722371PzsTZz_th.jpg

One of the other members of the Northtrailtalk.com forum one one better and added a remote control.

By the way .. the way I make coffee is the morning is with coffee filter bags. They make about 4 cups per bag, we use two, and simply put them in a stainless steel tea pot, then use the stove to make coffee. No muss no fuss, brewed coffee. It uses no electricity, and makes no noise (as long as you flip of the tea whistle). We no longer travel with the electric coffee pot.

:):)

wyleyrabbit

By the way .. the way I make coffee is the morning is with coffee filter bags. They make about 4 cups per bag, we use two, and simply put them in a stainless steel tea pot, then use the stove to make coffee. No muss no fuss, brewed coffee. It uses no electricity, and makes no noise (as long as you flip of the tea whistle). We no longer travel with the electric coffee pot.
:):)

With all due respect, you've got to be kidding! The ONLY way to make coffee while camping is with a percolator!!! We have a very good drip coffee maker (with a built in grinder) at home, and it's very convenient. But nothing beats the smoothness or the taste of percolated coffee. And, best part is, you make it on the propane stove. Zero drain on your batteries! :rolleyes:

Northern Virginia
I guess I am way crazy. I just bought a 2500 watt inverter to run my espresso maker (not to mention two 6v interstate golf cart batteries). We consider it a basic necessity:D

wyleyrabbit

Newbie,

Have you tried percolated coffee? It's MUCH better than drip, in my humble opinion. And, as an added benefit, works on virtually any good heat source. Plus, it uses far less coffee to achieve the same flavour level.

Chris

RVCamper

With all due respect, you've got to be kidding! The ONLY way to make coffee while camping is with a percolator!!! We have a very good drip coffee maker (with a built in grinder) at home, and it's very convenient. But nothing beats the smoothness or the taste of percolated coffee. And, best part is, you make it on the propane stove. Zero drain on your batteries! :rolleyes:

Yea, I have a percolated type maker too. Just hate the crunchiness of coffee grinds, unless of course I'm making campfire coffee. :rolleyes: