Honda Trouble

Jimmyt5

This came from a Honda e mail I received...:mad:

What a bummer. I thought I had it covered. While camping at Jedediah State Park in California I had my favorite EU 2000 cable locked to my bumper with a 5/8 inch cable lock. sometime during the night someone came in cut the cable and stole it. Not only did take my generator but also hit 5 other campsites for some valuable equipment. Other people had stored their camera equipment (a film crew was doing some filming in the park and had some very valuable stuff) stolen from their car as they slept in a tent right next to it. I was asleep in my motorhome just above the bumper where the generator was attached. My dog usually is awakened by the slightest noise didn't hear anything either. These guys were good. I'm glad I was covered with insurance but it's not my idea of how to get a new one. The insurance let me go down and purchase a new one from town. I got the camo one this time and store in a locked cabinet when not in use.

So this is my warning to you all, I know we all love our genny's so go the extra step and PUT IT AWAY WHEN YOUR NOT USING IT. I've seen some of the setups you have to secure them, however it seems if it's OUT OF SITE YOUR BETTER OFF

TXBobcat

Fulltime
Sorry to hear about the loss of your property. I have two hondas and have not used them much at this time. Bought them when I got my first 5er. Thought I would be needing them.

That is one of my fears if I wanted to use them. It is a shame that there are people that are to lazy to work for what they get and take from others. I see you were at a state park. I wonder how often this happens. So far as we travel around fulltime we have not lost anything to theft and have not been at a place where items were stolen.

This would be an intresting topic to see what can be done to keep this from happening to others..

BC

Jimmyt5

Bob this did not happen to me it was from an E mail I received from some other poor sole....

jmgratz

Original Owners Club Member
That is the exact reason I would rather stay at a private campground (preferably one with a gated entry such as Thousand Trails). Many state parks have no control on who comes and goes and they are easy pickings for thieves. May a pit bull bite their hands off.

linuxkidd

I had a similar experience myself...

I had a 5550 Watt generator security cabled to the slide bar under my dinette slide.

DSCF9003.JPG

On top of the genny was my remote temperature sender for my indoor/outdoor thermometer. Went to bed and noted the temperature... Got up and no outdoor temp was listed.. Thought the battery had died in the outdoor unit.

So after eating breakfast, I stepped out to replace the battery and.. 'twas GONE!

This is all that was left:

dscf9031.jpg

So, the good news is that my insurance deductible is only $100. In the long run, I ended up getting more from the insurance than I could have gotten selling the unit. I just wasn't ready to load up the built in genny on my Landmark yet ( and still haven't ).

Really chaps my hide... I work hard for what I've got. Don't understand some think it's OK to not do the same.

L8r all,
LK

P.S. This happened when we were staying in Lexington, KY at a Trailer park that allowed long term RV'ers. So, environment may have played a large role in this disappearance.

TXBobcat

Fulltime
OK.. There has to be some electronic or electrical genius that can think up a way to place a motion detector on the generator so that if it gets moved the alarm goes off.

Anyone have any ideas...
BC

jmgratz

Original Owners Club Member
Believe it or not you can get a LoJack device for your generator. Then it is trackable by the Police. Some of the construction companies use LoJack for their portable equipment. I don't know if the cost of the LoJack would be worth it for our type of equipment. Seems like it would be easier to develop some type of siren that could be activated by a motion device much like a car alarm.