Fueling while pulling a large 5er

bigdob24

I have a question about fueling your truck when pulling a fifth wheel.

My truck takes diesel, but only 26 gallons to fill, so I stay out of the big truck fueling areas .

I have a 3300 RCB ordered and it 35' long.

Do most of you find it easy to get in among the cars when filling your vehicle when on the road, pulling such a long RV?

I know Flying Js have dump stations, any others to look for when out on the road?

Thanks

Dan

tmcran

I have a Chevy 2500 diesel that had the 26 gallon stock tank. It really gets old looking for fuel every 200 miles or so. Often I found the truck lanes are the best option . A good number of the regular fuel slots are to short or in spots where its very hard to get in and out. I got a Titan 52 gallon after market tank that fits in the area of the OEM. I didn't want a tank in my bed as it is the short bed. I just got back from 3700 miles and it is GREAT! You can fill up much less often and if ya find a low price load up.

Delaine and Lindy

Fuel Stop...

I try and use Flying J's as much as possible. The fuel is always fresh and in most cases its easy to get in and out. I never use dump stations because we always use RV parks and I tend to really flush until the water is clear. I have never had a problem when getting fuel unless you get behind another RVer that doesn't know the proper procedures for fueling. That being move your RV out of the way after fueling. When fueling we professional drivers are fueling always move you truck forward. And always ask some if you don't know how to use the Sattelite pump. If know the feeling with a 26 Gal fuel tank, been there and done that. The Truck I have now doesn't have to be fueled that ofter but when I do it (OUCH) 180 gals capacity. Good Luck... GBY.....

Barry & Alana

Hi, we use the CFN cardlock system - so we have to fill at the truck stops.

This system is all across th states and in Canada - I think its BC<AB<SASK
(could be wrong about provincial locations)

We have a book with all the locations for both sides of the border and the bill comes at the end of the month.

jmgratz

Original Owners Club Member
I have mixed with the regular pumps if there is a diesel pump there. The reason for doing that is my fuel filler has the standard size pump and not the truck size. The big truck size nozzle won't fit and I have to hold it in the hole making it more difficult to fill. I know there must be some kind of adapter out there to solve that problem but I haven't found it yet. BTW I have a 36 gal tank on my truck and can go between 275-375 per tank depending on driving conditions. But I am ready for a break from driving by that time. We usually only go 1 to 1 1/2 tanks per day anyway.

flamingknitter

I am wrapping up a 3000 plus mile trip and my original intent was to NEVER fill with the rig attached. That lasted until the first day after the rally, when I was on my own!! I have tried to stay with the Flying J's, Pilots, and Sinclair gas stations. I try to go slow and really check out the place before I pull in. Some of them can be hard to get out of. I had one lady pull in front of me, just as I was finishing fueling and then she got upset when I almost drove over her hood!! She was in a Firebird. I'm pretty sure the trailer wheels would have gone over with hardly a bump. Just kidding. She backed up and only used a few swear words!

Hopefully, Dave (dtvista) will chime in. He has a data base of easy in/out fuel stations on his Garmin and he might be able to tell you how to get one for yourself.

klindgren

Retired Virginia Chapter Leaders
Like Barry and Alana, I use the CFN system. Sometimes they are not as plentiful as I need and I have to use "some other brand" but almost always I use the truck side of a station, not the car side. Of course with my big F-450 dually, I fit right in on the truck side.

Keith

vangoes

What really does not make a bit of sense is putting these darn 26 gallon tanks in trucks. Diesels are made for pulling/hauling and putting such a small tank in them is ludicrous.

Tom of Ypsi

With the federally mandated fuel emissions and the increasing pressure on fuel economy the fuel tanks will be getting smaller. My source has told me one way to increase fuel economy is to lighten the weight meaning smaller fuel tanks. Looks like the after market companies will be doing a landslide business.

TXBobcat

Fulltime
I have a 45gal fuel tank in the bed, a 38gal OEM. I try to never fuel up while connected to the 5er. I figure I have about 65 gal of good useable fuel. You don't want to run down low or out of fuel. That gives me at least 650 miles of good travel.

I always try to fuel at a truck stop using the truck bays. I can use the large nozzel, so that makes it quicker to fill. Seeing that I don't fuel with the trailer behind me I can fuel any place that is convenient.

I try to limit my driving distance to 250 miles and on occasion 300 but not more. I stay at least 2 nights at every stop.

I purchased my tank from American Tank & Toolbox . I have a direct feed through an electric fuel line valve by a switch in the cab.

BC

bigredtruck

Reading Mary Beth's post reminded me of last weekend. We were waiting patiently (with the trailer) at the station for the diesel dispenser to be free. When it finally was, there was another car blocking the access to that dispenser. So while we waited for the area to clear so we could pull through, some woman went around us and pulled into the pump we were waiting for to fill up her tiny little car. When able, DH pulled up to her as close as possible and left the engine running. The to top it off, it seemed like maybe this was her first time fueling her car, as she took forever! I guess that until you've had a diesel, you don't realize that we don't always have a choice of which dispenser to pull up to, especially when hauling a 36' trailer. Anyhow, she made a point of not looking at us, even though I was out of the truck by that time, standing there watching her.

wdk450

My worst fueling experience

Gang:
Returning from a recent trip to Southern California, we overnighted in Pismo Beach. We were VERY low on fuel, and I used the internet at the campground to check Gas Buddy for the lowest diesel prices in the area. I found a station on Madonna road in San Luis Obispo listed with a good price. By the time we traveled there we HAD to get fuel. It turned out that the station was a little 2 island, 4 pump place with limited blacktop, a curb on one side and angled parking for a Denny's (full of cars) on the other. To get to an availible pump, I circled behind the station, cutting the truck in hard to reach the streetside pump. The following trailer blocked in both sides of the inside pumps, both sides of the streetside island, and all of the Dennys parking. Everyone sat until i got my 30+ gallons to my tank. To add insult to injury, when we left, we had to back towards the Denny's cars while trying to straighten the rig out to enter the street. I couldn't see the Denny's cars on my right side. Then I got out on the 3 lane street while a nearby light was red to give me an opening, and the transmission suddenly decided not to work. I frantically shifted to park and back to drive and got the rig going before the traffic was upon us.
I try to have more than ONE choice when I go for fuel with the BH attached now.

2010augusta

It has been my experience that at most truck stops, either the first or last pump is a regular diesel pump with no slave. When I am having to take on 60 gallons of fuel with the Augusta I try to find a truck stop with the large pumps, or a station with lots of parking area. As long as a station is not very busy, it is manageable to fill at a regular station, but it is not fun.

jpmorgan37

When I had my GMC, I added a 60 gallon auxillary tank that gave me a total of 96 gallons. In my present hauler, I only have 76 gallon capacity. I use the truck islands, or in the case of Flying J, the RV islands where they have them. No way do I want to use a car island ever again Too many inconsiderate people out there. JMHO

John

Del600

Iowa Chapter Founding Father
I try to use the RV islands, but often find myself in the truck lanes..... trying to make way for the working guy when possible.

santafedave

Santafedave
Filling your diesel tank

I added a 75 gallon bed external tank to my 04 F250 and now I have 105 gallons to work with. I try and fill up at the truck stops because they are set up for rigs like ours, they even have the long poled bug wipers! The truckers don't mind just as long as you stay with your vehicle and pull up as the line moves. Always keep you head up when you are going in to pay because you do not want to get run over by a big rig! D.

MD Buck

I also use the "Next Exit" to find RV friendly fueling stations. But, mostly use the truck stops and truck lanes to fill the 30 gallon OEM and the 60 gallon tool box/auxillary in the bed. Had to use an auto island and took 25 mins. to pump both tanks full last week.

Pulltab

I put a 51 gallon aux tank in my truck to avoid having to do stops with the rv hitched on. It is tough to find stations sometimes as you know that you can get into and out of.