do my lug nuts have covers?

bgscott

I have an 09 sundance 2980rb with 16" wheels. My rims are the solid silver ones. Are my lug nuts covered with caps or is that a lug nut I am looking at? I have tried to pull off the caps with a pair of channel locks and I can't get them to budge. then I try to turn a lug nut with my lug wrench but that never moves either. I think these are caps, I have found four that are cracked but I can't get them loose to check for major damage. can you guys help me out?
thanks

tmcran

Yes, the lug nuts are covered with the chrome metal you are referring to. A deep socket and a cheater pipe will do wonders in getting these loose. I had to remove one on another trailer and I used a chisel to get the metal covering off as the socket would not go over the damaged area. You can get replacement lug nuts that will fit that don't have the cover.

Pulltab

Yes, the lug nuts are covered with the chrome metal you are referring to. A deep socket and a cheater pipe will do wonders in getting these loose. I had to remove one on another trailer and I used a chisel to get the metal covering off as the socket would not go over the damaged area. You can get replacement lug nuts that will fit that don't have the cover.
Something don't sound right about that! The outside dimensions are not metric are they?

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
Tab, I use a 22mm deep well socket. It fits my lug nuts better than the 7/8.

Peace
Dave

Duramax1

I have had the lug nuts off my Sundance and they did not have any caps on them.

I cannot figure out why you should have cracks, either with or without caps.

tmcran

I have used the 7/8 . When I got my RV I loosned every lug nut to be sure I could get them loose before I got somewhere and found out that a 800lb gorillo had put them on. I then re-torqued all to specs. If the outer cover gets bent, damaged and you can't get the socket on then it is a PITA to get them off.

bgscott

I think 15" rims don't have caps and 16" rims do. I will try a deep well socket and a cheater bar. tmcram, did you destroy the caps when you removed them this way?

tmcran

bgscott-I didn't damage any and you just have to be careful. I would sure recommend a 1/2 drive. Mine are 16" and they do have the caps. Not sure about the 15".

tmcran

Something don't sound right about that! The outside dimensions are not metric are they?

I was not clear. I hit a rock and damaged the cover on the lug nut. Bent it outward. I was not able to get the lug wrench on and had to cut the cover off to get the nut off.