Door Lock

davebennington

I placed this notice here because it may pertain to all Heartland models.

Recently we had a problem with our dead bolt lock, there are 4 phillips head screws that hold the paddle latch in place and under that there are 2 little phillips head machine screws that hold the dead bolt together, If these get loose or worst come out like ours did and the dead bolt is locked you are in trouble. The only way in is to break the lock or hope you left a window open. Most of the windows in our Landmark Golden Gate are small but luck would have it one of the larger ones was not latched and I was able to gain entry and take the lock apart and open the door.
All is well that ends well I did however have to borrow a ladder tall enough to reach the window.

I post this as a warning for people to take a few minutes and check the inner screws of the dead bolt, if they are loose put a drop of finger nail polish or lock tight on them and re-install.

Dave

jbeletti

Dave,

Thanks for the warning. I had this happen one year ago. I noticed the latch was a bit loose but ignored it. Big mistake. Thankfully, when we got locked out, a large window was unlocked and my smallest child was with us. He went through the window easily :)

When I reassembled it all, I used Loc-tite on the threads. Been good for a year.

Jim

moose1

This happen to me also, screws came loose and the lock would not work, but it was not lock so took the whole thing apart and repair the dead bolt lock but I did not use Loc-Tite on the threads but I will if it comes apart again. Thanks for the tip.

jayc

Texas-South Chapter Leaders
Thanks for the info, I'll get our's checked out today. I have noticed that the dead bolt is hard to lock/unlock.

geeksrus

I placed this notice here because it may pertain to all Heartland models.

Recently we had a problem with our dead bolt lock, there are 4 phillips head screws that hold the paddle latch in place and under that there are 2 little phillips head machine screws that hold the dead bolt together, If these get loose or worst come out like ours did and the dead bolt is locked you are in trouble. The only way in is to break the lock or hope you left a window open. Most of the windows in our Landmark Golden Gate are small but luck would have it one of the larger ones was not latched and I was able to gain entry and take the lock apart and open the door.
All is well that ends well I did however have to borrow a ladder tall enough to reach the window.

I post this as a warning for people to take a few minutes and check the inner screws of the dead bolt, if they are loose put a drop of finger nail polish or lock tight on them and re-install.

Dave

Thanks for the heads up... I tightened the 4 screws... two were quite loose.

Could not find the 2 little phillips head machine screws that you mentioned... any further info?

Eh!

SmokeyBare

geeksrus,

Those two tiny Phillips screws are behind the inside door handle Plate. Remove the 4 screws... pull the handle plate away and you should see those two screw heads... you might also see a paper with the Lock Code and a phone number on it... Mine fell off and I made sure I reattached it to the lock body... should I ever need to get a key made.

Jim & Harriet

locked out

wish i had seen this sooner! got locked out while camping at the race in Charlotte, NC last weekend.
luckily my very thin nephew was with us and climbed up thru the laundry chute! even from the inside he could not open the door but did open a window and we got in and took the entire bolt lock apart. next weekend our dealer, rv outlet, will be doing our end-of-the-one-year-warraty check and will be replacing the lock.
still enjoyed the weekend at the race.:angel:

leftyf

SSG Stumpy-VA Terrorist
Don't remember who posted this one....

But, it's my favorite jpg of all time.

//heartlandowners.org/picture.php?albumid=32&pictureid=387

Elder1

oh great info, we are picking up our new 3250ts next week and I will make sure to fix the lock before I have to try and go in a window (eh, Im not built for that).

Bryan

tkralc66

2011 3055 big country

loose screws on door lock ,, i thought it was not working right ,, thanks for the tip saved me a lot of problems ,,

Nell

Thank you for the heads up - we have been having trouble with our deadbolt, I will check that.

jbeletti

Nell,

If you take your lock apart, when you put it back together, use some Loctite thread locker on the threads of the 4 screws that hold the lock set in the door.

I did this to my unit and had no problems with it thereafter.

Jim

8504059028840592.jpg