Tires/Axle

TTrox

I am in Teslin, Yukon headed for Alaska. I have a North Trail 26 RK that was purchased in Aug 08. The tires had approx 4,300 miles on them when I started this trip and they looked to be wearing evenly. Now the front tire on the right side has begun to wear quickly and unevenly on the outside. The other 3 tires are OK, wearing evenly across the tire. The tires have approx 7,700 total miles on them. I have checked the air pressure twice and I am running 63 PSI.

What may be causing the excessive uneven wear on the one tire? I suspect a "bad" axle spindle; can anything be done to correct the problem? Is there a Heartland dealer in Anchorage that I could go see? If I can not fix I plan to put my spare on and hope to get home to Colorado and fix the problem. Will not be home until 15 Aug, will warranty apply? Any assistance will be appreciated.

TTrox

M

Mcreech

We have a dealer in Palmer....Valley RV 907-745-7747..........I have no idea on the tire wear........

Edmonton

I am pretty sure that the max ire pressure for your tires is 50 psi. My label is on the front left that has the tire info with loads and pressures. Yours should be there as well.

David

TTrox

Tires

I'm in Valdez and the tire continues to wear unevenly. Max pressure on tire sidewell is 65 PSI same as on the sticker on the side of the trailer. I'm amazed that the product manager has "no idea on the tire wear". That comment gives me a lot of confidence in Heartland. If anyone in Heartland really wanted to answer my questions they would go to the axle maker and ask them, which is what I will do. Good that customer service is not important to Heartland

Ray LeTourneau

Senior Member - Past Moderator
I'm in Valdez and the tire continues to wear unevenly. Max pressure on tire sidewell is 65 PSI same as on the sticker on the side of the trailer. I'm amazed that the product manager has "no idea on the tire wear". That comment gives me a lot of confidence in Heartland. If anyone in Heartland really wanted to answer my questions they would go to the axle maker and ask them, which is what I will do. Good that customer service is not important to Heartland
There could be several reasons for uneven tire wear and if you want someone to guess, they could do just that. It would be a guess! Get to a dealer or someone capable of looking at your specific situation to determine the problem. Call either customer service for Heartland or the dealer that was recommended for your next course of action. Heartland MAY authorize repair and reimburse you. If you can get the problem repaired, do it so you can at least continue your trip without worry. Plan "B" would be to take pictures, call your dealer at home and explain the problem.

beardedone

Beardedone
I am thinking that considering the 4300 miles you had on it before you left without issue and that now only one wheel is showing wear that this could be related to the road conditions. Did you hit any bad potholes up there. I have been there and seen some awful obstacles at times.

TTrox

Tire

Went to the Heartland dealer in Palmer AK. Their technician looked at the tire and wrote a note to Heartland warranty office that they (the dealer) think the spindle is not straight on the axle. He told me that their experience with hitting potholes usually impacts both sets of tires/axles not just one. Will get axle and tire replaced and hope to get some satisfaction from someone (??) to help pay for cost. If cost to replace is exorbitant, I'll just buy cheap tires & replace as they get worn.