Washer/Dryer Debate

MooseJon

My wife and I are looking at Bighorn 3600RL RVs and are wondering about the washer/dryer in RVs. We have heard two opinions, positive and negative.
The positive-It's easier to have the washer/dryer in the Rv so you don't have to go to the laundramat.
The negative-RV washers don't clean as well and the dryer takes longer to dry.
Any experiences with washer/dryer in your bighorn would be appreciated.
Thanks in advance for your replies.

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
Debate? What debate? The wife said she wanted one when we bought the rig. I was still wiggling on the harpoon stuck in my wallet pocket.:rolleyes:

That aside, ours had to go in the bedroom closet (3670's that way). The Splendide combo unit can handle about 11 pounds, which isn't too bad. It seems to clean well, but does take a while to dry a full load. Stuff tends to come out more wrinkled than with a full size dryer, too. And even with stabilizer struts and jacks, you will feel some shaking in the rear of the trailer when it spins. It's a nice convenience, but not a true necessity.

Tom of Ypsi

We have the W/D combo in our Landmark and love it. We actually found the clothes coming out cleaner looking than the one we had in our sticks and bricks. The difference being the Splendide is a front load in comparison to a top loading machine. Drying the clothes does take longer but well worth it. Washing and drying does shake the coach even with the JT's but so does other things in the coach. We just upgraded to the Trailair Level up and could not be happier..

CrazyScotsman

If you go with the washer / dryer. BUY an iron and ironing table.
Only draw back is as Jihn posted , clothes do come out wrinkled, and trailer sure does shake when on final spin.

MooseJon

Thanks everyone

Thanks for the quick replies.
We are in the process of selling our home and will be buying a Bighorn as soon as it closes. The topic of washer/dryer was one of many discussions we are having as we think about our new full time rv life.
JonNone

We put a 7100xc splendide un vented in about 3 wks ago said she is much happier than she thought she would be,clothes come out very clean and not many wrinkles. she uses full circle env. friendly soap, camping world has washer on sale for 999.00 best price i could find. I don,t think you will be unhappy, does shake on spin cycle, not bad doesn,t last long. I hope this helps, good luck Jim Thomas

sharmulst

We have had our BH3500RL for almost 4 years. I have not regretted for one minute that we don't have the W/D. When going to the laundromat we can have all our washing done in 1 1/2 hours and be done for the week. Most RV parks have a laundry and there were only about 2 that were unacceptable.

Ray LeTourneau

Senior Member - Past Moderator
We are a member of the no w/d fan club. Like the sharmuslt, once a week at the laundromat and about $6 allows us to have a small freezer where the w/d sits. It's like a lot of conveniences, some like or want them, some don't.

We have had our washer/dryer combo for three years - we have just moved it into our new Big Horn. I love it but you have to remember that the loads are small - don't try to stuff more in because it just doesn't work. I do a wash just about every day - whites one day, then lights etc. - that way I don't have a huge washing to do at the end of the week. You can wash more than you can dry and yes, drying does take over an hour but the wash does too. I have never had a problem with the clothes not being clean - just don't overload! One thing I don't do is use softener - we found that it clogged the pipe and the grey water flush didn't work well. Once we got that under control it wasn't a problem. I wouldn't be without my washer/dryer!

jmgratz

Original Owners Club Member
We love our stackable Majestic front loading washer and dryer. We have never liked the laundry as you never know who put what in the washer or dryer before you, how hot the water is, or how hot the dryer gets. We like the control we have with our own machines. DW usually washes in the evening and hangs up whatever needs drying by hanging over night. It is dry in the morning ready to go. We find the washer does an excellent job cleaning the clothes.

kakampers

Past Heartland Ambassador
We are of the opinion that we would never want the combo unit...we have had a Whirlpool stack set for three years and would NEVER give it up.

These apartment size units hold almost as much as your regular house-sized separates and, if you remove cloths promptly, wrinkles are not an issue. In addition, since we can wash and dry different loads at the same time, it really does not take much longer than doing clothes in a "stix-n-bricks". The only thing that does take longer is the dryer is 110V instead of 220V...this adds about 30 minutes or so to each load.

I usually do clothes once a week and it amounts to three loads. I just pick a day when we're home and have about 4-5 hours to spend, and then I'm done for the whole week!

Delaine and Lindy

We have owned both the Splendide Combo and the Splendide Ariston stackable in other 5th wheels. The Spendide stackable was by for the best. We tried to do without the W/D while in Florida and Gulf Shores this past winter. But Laundry mats just isn't for us. We ordered the 2010 and went with the Whirlpool front loaders and with our unit they are side by side, which actually gives us more room for storage above the W/D. Our vote is fro W/D without a doubt. Good Luck with your choice. GBY....