Potty Geyser in Bighorn - thoughts?

Dave42

Hello all. My first post. Got a '09 3055 Bighorn last December. I haven't had it back to the dealer yet (watchout Holman RV)! We've towed about 3,000 miles. We have a few irritating problems, one of which is particularly interesting: When the black water tank is somewhat filled (but I don't know just how full), the Sealand toilet, when flushed, issues a powerful geyser! The geyser reaches up past the seat! Anyone else have this? I'll be taking her back to Holman in a couple of weeks and I'm afraid this problem will baffle them!
Dave

itsbeertime

Mine does the same thing except it's more like a big bubble kind of thing. I suppose it's got something to do with air, or lack of, in the tank, but have no idea. But now I know when it does it it's time to empty the tank.

jimtoo

Hi Dave,

Welcome to the Heartland Owners Forum and Family. Here you will find lots of great people with lots of information.

Regarding your geyser, I think you will find that every time the black tank starts getting full, they start burping. Usually not a pretty sight or sound. But nothing wrong, just the nature of the beast. I usually need to burp when I start getting full also.

Jim M

SmokeyBare

Nature of the Black Tank Beast...

It starts to warn you with a small bubble of air when you flush...

But !! IF you decide to ignore the bubble burps... they GROW !

Then at a last attempt to Catch your attention... A Geyser Erupts !!!

jmgratz

Original Owners Club Member
When it starts burping you really need to empty your black tank. You will find and empty tank does not burp.

SouthernNights

Past South Carolina Chapter Leader
4 trailers, 4 trailers that black tanks burped.

Whats bad is when the JohnDar's sewer trout come with the burp.:eek:

Peteandsharon

I gotta say this is a new one on me. I've had three different rigs over time. I can't say that I've ever seen the black water burp and I've definitely never had a sewer trout swim back upstream on me. Maybe with enough ambient temperature outside and enough time between dumps of the black water tank...... I suppose it could happen. But isn't this why they're vented? Can you fill the black water tank past the level of where the vent pipe comes in?

SouthernNights

Past South Carolina Chapter Leader
Yes they are vented. The only time it has happened to me is when dry camping and the tank is darn near full. When the bowl is full of liquid (and other things) and you open the vavle, air is dispaced inside the black tank.

When there is not much air in the tank, (almost full), and you introduce more liquid very quickly, the air has to go somewhere. The vent cant handle the amount of air being displayed that fast so ---you get a burp.

At least that is the way it works in my very finite mind:rolleyes:

The sewer trouts are an invention of another poster-JohnDar.

And I dont want to know why he has actually named them!!!:D

Pulltab

All above is correct but you also have to be sure to always use plenty of water in the bowl when flushing or else you will build the dreaded pyramid at the bottom of the pipe into the tank.................I have heard tell of this happening :p:p . If you get that :p you have to use a snake to whack it up :D

Dave42

Thanks everyone. I suppose the geyser is just normal. I was afraid they had installed the vent pipe too deep into the tank and when the contents covered the pipe's mouth, the loss of venting caused the geyser upon flushing. I'll just be careful!;)
Dave

Peteandsharon

Dave, I'm still thinking that is a possibility. I would like to know definitively where the vent pipe exits the black water tank. As long as that pipe is unobstructed, it should do its job, I would think.

Like I said, I've never seen this burping occur but I don't tend to let the potty tank get too full if I can help it. Maybe that's the difference.

Pulltab

I am not sure but would think that the fitting they use on the tanks has a collar not allowing it to go down inside the tank. But then again I have been wrong every time I have opened my mouth :p

grizzlygiant

Most likely it is caused by some kind of obstruction in the vent. Try running a hose down from the top to make sure the vent is clear.

slmayor

Founding California Northern Chapter Leader
Ours burps, but only when it is very, very full. In other words, dry camping for several days. We usually don't let it get that full before dumping otherwise. No issues unless the holding tank is really full.

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
4 trailers, 4 trailers that black tanks burped.

Whats bad is when the JohnDar's sewer trout come with the burp.:eek:

At that point, they've mutated into sewer salmon, heading back upstream to where they were born. I've never experienced that phenomenon. Are you guys sure it's not a dietary issue? Lay off the refried beans and jalepeno sauce for a while :D

ChopperBill

I think the burping problems start because the sewer pipe is angled toward the tank and does not go straight down to the tank, causing an air pocket when close to full. I have had others that sewer pipe goes straight to the tank with no burping. Considering the tank level indicators are not much better than decoration, when our burps its time to dump.

porthole

Retired
My boat has a porcelain toilet, residential size with a built in macerator.

Flush the toilet and it adds more water, starts the marerator and it grinds away and sends only "little" stuff to the holdings tanks. Also eliminates and bottom build up in the tank.

Always thought this would be a much better toilet in a trailer (except for the noise)