2nd A/C 9000 btu or 13500 btu?

ncrebel8

Wesley and Niki Norwood
We are going to order a 2nd A/C for the bedroom in our BH 3410. I need some advice. Should I order a 9000 or the 13500 btu unit? Need any advise all you nice people can give us. Thanks.

Wesley and Niki

Peteandsharon

I think you'll find many different opinions on this. Many people have gotten the 13,500 and been very happy. We just recently purchased the Polar cub which is 9000 btu. What I was told and I believe is that a unit that is "over powered" will cycle off too soon to adequately remove humididty. That's why I opted for the 9000. Thats my 2 cents.

Pete

TXBobcat

Fulltime
We have the 13,500 installed in the bedroom. We run it at night for two reasons. One to keep the bedroom cool and to provide white noise. If it is cool outside the A/C will only run on fan. The fan provides white noise to mask out the noises of people starting thier diesel, talking, construction equipment, highway noise, and trains.

Our penguin rv air conditioner has a heat strip and interior thermostat, therefore the fan runs continously. If you had an external thermostat the fan may cycle on and off with the compressor.

We have no problem with our A/C and yes it may cycle on and off frequently but it will drop the temp in the bedroom to about 63*. I am not sure what a 9k will do if you needed the cooling..

BC

Tom of Ypsi

We have a 9000 BTU unit in our bedroom and it is more than enough. We want to stay cool and comfortable but we do not want to use the bedroom as a meat locker.

porthole

Retired
I haven't seen where the 9k unit is an option from the factory.
Are you referring to aftermarket?

I have a Cyclone 3010 ordered and I added the 2nd A/C, which is a 13.5.

That does seem a little big for just the bedroom, especially if it is not ducted and just a direct unit.

ncrebel8

Wesley and Niki Norwood
porthole,
yes, we are doing this aftermarket.

I am kind of concerned about the 13.5 unit being to big for the small area and short cycling. but as was mentioned, there doesnt seem to be much information about the use of a smaller (9k) unit. We do not want to buy a unit that short cycling my shorten the overall life of the unit, but i also dont want to buy a smaller unit that we find out later is not big enough.

guess I just want to hear some real world experience with both units before I make the purchase.

jayc

Texas-South Chapter Leaders
We added the 13,500 btu a/c when we bought the trailer new and have used it a lot this summer. I have no experience with the 9000 unit.

I been researching this for a long time, I,m about to buy a polar cub for several reasons, the polar cub fan will shut down. some unit run constant unless there hooked to a wall thermostat. The main reason is a lot of campgrounds have only 35 amps services,with polar cub 8.5 amps lowest amp useage you can get, you can run both units with no troubles. this is a BIG PLUS! No sense having 2 units if you can,t use them. hope this helps. JIm Thomas

phranc

Makes sense on the amp deceision..Although I would go for a 15,000 . You could always open bedroom door . Two large Ac's will cool down quicker and you could run one or the other as needs dictate, Such as watching TV . Of course that does require 50 amp

Larryheadhunter

X-Rookies Still Luving it
with the tent in the vent option, go with the polar 9000. U dont need anymore a/c amd get a heat strip as well. me personally, we cooled off 30 degrees in napa at a 110 degrees until it went down under 70 of course we dont have the rear window because the 3400 RE keeps out the heat.

Oldlthrneck

Just an Old Jarhead
I had a 15000 installed, in our BH, and have not been sorry. It does a great job and I have not noticed an inordinate amount of cycleing. You can set the temp control for what you want. I blocked off the bedroom vents and the air flow in the rest of the vents increased considerably. We are in SW Texas and with the temps and humidity in the high nineties, it is doing a great job.
Fred

porthole

Retired
I had the 13.5 installed at the factory on our Cyclone. Glad I did too.

Although on the new Cyclones the bedrooms are a bit smaller with the enclosed bathrooms and a 9KW unit might be sufficient. Especially considering that they are not ducted and on the Cyclones the rear air is almost centered on the coach.

I absolutly would do it again.

jmgratz

Original Owners Club Member
We have the 13500 in the bedroom. It is not ducted but does have a wall thermostat. During the day we put the fan on high and low at night. This unit will help keep the rest of the coach cool helping out the LR unit. This is important in the 100 plus degree Texas heat. I put the BR thermostat on 70 at night and leave the LR on 75. It keeps the whole coach cool. Have not noticed any short cycling. Be sure and keep the air filters clean regardless of what you get.