Panel Mount location - Sundance 2800RLS

Hi, we want to install solar panels. Where is best place to attach the panels on the roof and how should the wire be run? We need to drill holes in the roof and don't want to make a mistake. Thanks for any advice.

grizzlygiant

I mounted my solar panel near the refrigerator vent. I installed a i/2" pvc conduit through the screen at the foof down through the refer chimney and into the compartment where the converter is located. Then I ran the solar wires overhead through the basement and directly to the battery. I have a battery disconnect that disconnects the battery from everything except the solar. My 15 watt panel keeps the battery topped off even through the winter snows.

Hi. Thanks so much for the reply. That sounds perfect! We'll let you know how it works out. We just discovered this forum and hit a bingo on the first try! Need to figure out how to use it better. I like your signature lines and need to figure out how to do one for our "land rig".

Meanwhile, I just wanted to say hello. (I'll figure out how to do that in a more appropriate forum - apologies to all readers for going off topic here.) Sounds like we have a simliar rig. We are from Florida but will be in Coeur d'Alene in August. Gorgeous place! My girlfriends and I used to go over (from Missoula) for the regatta when we were in high school (I don't want to say how long ago that was! but as a hint we'll be attending my 45th HS reunion this summer! Oh I guess that was a pretty strong hint :rolleyes:). We will be visiting my family at Flathead Lake, MT and then plan to drive over to bike the wonderful rail trails you have in northern ID. The next big challenge will be getting our rig down to the lake property without knocking the things off the top! We've had our Sundance for over a year but are just now starting to really use it heavily - we've been mostly chasing rail trails and visiting friends (when we aren't on our boat).
maggie
Maggie and Jim Ardito
S/V Sunny Skies

out of Satellite Beach, FL
marguerite@iexco.com

SmokeyBare

Maggie & Jim,

Welcome to the Heartland Family & the best RV Forum on the Net !

Once you get used to moving about inside the forum, you will soon see the search tool. Do a Search on the site for additional postings about Solar. I bet you'll be surprised at the many different methods some have used to bring wires down from the Roof Level.

I too used the Fridge vent to run wires down... I attached a weather proof electrical box under the edge of the Fridge Vent Cover. From the 4 panels I have on the roof, I ran 2 separate wires to behind the side cover of the Fridge. From there, using a junction block... I connected those 2 sets of wires to a pair of much larger wires and those I ran to the Charge Controller which I located in the front compartment where the rest of the Solar System parts are located.

Good Luck with your project...

Thanks a lot for the additional information and hints. Now I have one more question that I can't find an answer to. How do you get that nifty map of north america? I saw instructions on how to upload a picture, but I don't know where to get that one in the first place. thanks.
(apologies again for going off topic)

webperks

Hi all,
I'm buying a cyclone 3812, and wanting to know if there is a "best method" of installing the panels to the roof. Also would you allow the rv company to install the solar system or a company selling it?
Thanks,
Doug

Tom of Ypsi

I am also looking at installing solar panels. If I do not do it myself, with help of course, I will have the people selling the solar system do the install. They are the most knowledgeable about installation of their systems.