Need weight distribution hitch?

I'll be pulling an Edge M21 with a 2009 Tacoma Prerunner SR5 double cab 4x2 longbed pickup with sport suspension and tow package rated for 6500 towing capacity. GVWR is 5350. GCWR is 8100. Should I get a weight distribution hitch? That's the same as an equalizer hitch, right?

jnbhobe

Yes you should,with a sway control. You only get one chance to do it right! I've seen trailers start swaying Its not a pretty sight. Jon :eek: :eek: :eek:

Thanks for the input, Jon. There were no ifs, ands or buts in your advice, so you view it as a must. My limited research lead to me think it wasn't really needed with a lighter trailer like the M21, 4000 pounds and change fully loaded. Comment? Anybody else want to weigh in on this?

Peteandsharon

Just to be clear, there are two separate concepts here. A weight distributing hitch works to level the tow vehicle by distributing the weight of the trailer front to back. You don't mention what the hitch weight is but if you take 15-20% of the total weight you can still have 600-800 pounds on the hitch. With a light truck, weight distribution would absolutely be a good idea, in my opinion.

The second concept is sway control. That's the second part of Jon's reply. That keeps the back end of the trailer from fishtailing as you buck side winds and semis on the road. Absolutely a good idea too. With weight distribution and sway control you should be ready to roll.

Pete

irvin56

yes a must for both

you only need to get a WHD for 10,000# load. (Class 4 or 5) hitch

this gives you a 1,000 # hitch weight, which you wont need, but if you upgrade to a larger trailer you have hitch setup for it.

combine_billy

Thanks for the input, Jon. There were no ifs, ands or buts in your advice, so you view it as a must. My limited research lead to me think it wasn't really needed with a lighter trailer like the M21, 4000 pounds and change fully loaded. Comment? Anybody else want to weigh in on this?

Get the equalizer hitch with sway bar and you won't be disappointed. I would consider it a must.

Peteandsharon

Irvin,
If I understand your comment correctly, I have to disagree totally with the 10,000# statement. I have pulled two travel trailers, each around 7000# fully loaded. They were 30 ft. travel trailers and the second one had a 1000# tongue weight. I would not have pulled either one without both a weight distributing hitch and a dual cam sway control. I would also think that even 700-800 pounds of tongue weight on a Toyota truck would point the headlights at the sky and make the steering mushy.

irvin56

sorry i did not state that right

I meant that you do need a wdh, but only need to get a hitch that is rated for 10,000#.

you don't need to get a wdh setup for over 10,000 # as their worth more money and over kill(stiffness with bars).

I have had different tt and will not pull without WDH and sway control

Sorry for the missing info.

I wouldnot pull anything except a single axle without wdh set up,
and wil not pull anything, long distance, with out sway control.
(trust me on that sway control, I now first hand)

Thanks for all the great input! I'll be getting a WDH with anti-sway. Any comments on styles, types, or brands that are best - or those to avoid?

And, lastly (I think) is installation best left to pros or can a reasonably intelligent and handy person do it at home?

Peteandsharon

Skinnymike,

I only have experience with Reese's dual cam sway bars. The load equalizer and anti-sway are built into the same setup. You torque up the bars and the cams on both sides sit in grooves which work to keep the trailer tracking straight. I used them over almost 20 years on two travel trailers and liked them very much. They do a great job. What I can't say for sure is if they are appropriate for smaller rigs. I do know that there are different size bars which give greater or lesser tension. You would have to make sure that you get one that is appropriately sized for your rig. I originally purchased mine with the rig and the dealer installed them on the the trailer(s). It's not rocket science at all, though. The key thing is to mount them correctly placed on the A frame and to adjust the number of links you go down so that your rig and tow vehicle are level. Not difficult at all. As I stated, I bought mine with the rig from the dealer but you can get them online or camping world or many different places. Just google Reese dual cam and you'll find it.

truknutt

Committed Member
Here is a link that explains the "terminology" (eTrailer.com FAQs)

Clarification: Hitch weight on a tag-along/bumper hitch/receiver hitch style trailer is 10-15% of the trailer's Gross Weight. 15-20% is the rule for 5th wheels and Goosenecks because more weight can be handled when placed over the rear axle instead of way behind it.