Slide Question

itsbeertime

I just was reading another post and it reminded me to ask about this. I've always had electric slides before now, so the hydraulics are new to me. Is there a rule of thumb for how long to hold the button in after the slides extend or retract...especially retract? I don't want to break anything but I don't want to leave them loose either, especially in the retracted state. It seems pretty obvious when they are fully extended and retracted, but was just wondering if there is an actual "this is how they are supposed to be done"?

skyguy

And, experience has taught me to always listen _VERY_ carefully for that change in pitch. It either means I am done running the slides in or out, or I have encountered something that may be in the path of the slides (a cabinet door comes to mind):eek::eek:

Again, don't ask me how I know!!:D:D

itsbeertime

Thanks, that is what I've been doing.

Skyguy... or the electric pedestal? :) I've never done that but came close once or twice.

Hydraulic slides

I just was reading another post and it reminded me to ask about this. I've always had electric slides before now, so the hydraulics are new to me. Is there a rule of thumb for how long to hold the button in after the slides extend or retract...especially retract? I don't want to break anything but I don't want to leave them loose either, especially in the retracted state. It seems pretty obvious when they are fully extended and retracted, but was just wondering if there is an actual "this is how they are supposed to be done"?
I have a 2008 Big Country with hydraulic slides and with a rear kitchen. The second time out with it I started to put the slides out and heard that change in pitch of the hydraulic pump at about the same time the end of the slide toward the kitchen stopped moving. The cabinet door over the refrigerator was open and yes, the slide did remove it. Luckily the damage was minor and it was easily repaired. As a precaution, I always check the cabinet doors above and below the frig before extending the slide.

Bob&Patty

Founders of SoCal Chapter
Duane, no they dont. Just the sides of the coach and the change in the noise of the motor. Bob:D

porthole

Retired
Thanks, was wondering as with my previous trailer when the slide was in, as long as you left power to the motor it was "electrically braked"