Cajun Taters

palebluedot

This recipe was sent to me from a ham radio operator in Eunice, Louisiana With a pan of fresh cornbread, it's good eatin.

CAJUN TATERS

2-3 lbs. Irish potatoes (peeled & cubed)
1 Large onion (diced)
2 Bell peppers (diced)
1 cup green onion tops (chopped)
¼ capful Zatarians concentrated crab boil (small bottle)
¾ stick Parkay margarine
1 tsp table salt
2 lbs. hickory smoked pork link sausage (cut in ½ inch pieces)
Tony Cacheres’s Creole seasoning (sprinkle over cubed potatoes in bowl
& mix in well)
2 cups water

Prepare all ingredients and place in rice cooker or large pot and mix well.
Cook until rice cooker cuts off or if using a pot until the taters are soft.
All ingredients are available at our local Walmart. Don't know if the Zatarians & Tony Cacheres's is available everywhere. WARNING: When using the concentrated crab boil be sure not to overdo this (1/4 cap full) and I ain't kidding - this is powerful stuff. Enjoy !!

Jburks

Is this very spicy, I'm ok with spicy food but my DW is not cool with it at all, sounds very tasty. We will have to try it out.

palebluedot

jburks,
The level of "spicy" is determined by the amount of Creole seasoning & mostly by the crab boil. I would say it is medium spicy using the recipe. Cut the crab boil to 1/8 cap full if you would like it mildly spicy. The link below is to the crab boil that I use.

http://shop.zatarains.com/zatarains®-concentrated-shrimp-crab-boil-p-596.html

combine billy,
I've never tried it in a dutch oven, but it would probably work fine. Just heat it enough to get the taters soft, everything else should be O.K. If you try it, let us know how it turns out. I usually cook it outside on a table with the rice cooker. Everyone close by has to come over to see what the wonderful smell is - especially at Pigeon Forge in the fall when all the gray panthers are out for the evening stroll.