Nightmare trip thanks to goodyear marathons

yrusohi

Beware of Goodyear Marathons. I had 3 blowouts throughout the course of a trip from dallas to dalhart, tx. All pressures were right and Cyclone not loaded too heavy. All three either separated or blew to pieces. I dont feel heartland make the right choice on these 15in tires for such heavy rigs, unfortunately, I paid the price on the road.

trvlrerik

I am crazy about tire problems (avoiding at all costs). Were the blowouts all on the same side? With all of the tire problems I read about, are 16" rims and G rated tires a good investment? I pull heavy work trailers with 16" rims and Kuhmo tires and have had no problem (not abuse related) yet.

DMitch

I had the same problems with Marathons. This spring on the way back from Florida I blew three of them. I am very careful with pressures etc. The tires had about 3,000 miles on them. They were 235 - 80 - 16's. One blew to shreds, and two had sidewall failure.

All the best,

Loco

I just had 6 new MAXXIS tires put on our Cyclone. My dealer advised Goodyear is have lots of trouble with their trailer tires,he use to sell them also. He has not had troubles with Maxis. I will find out. We are leaving from Canton GA heading to Vegas then to Denver, Nebraska, then back to Canton in a 2 1/2 week trip. So my new tires will get a work out. I have 2 new spares on board with us. I hope I do not need them. We will see it the 15 inch tires will make it. So far we had put over 10K on the first set of factory installed Mission tires with out failure. But they were 3 years old and no way were we going on a almost 4000 mile trip with those tires still on there. So sending 600 bucks was not a big deal. Now I know I have new rubber on the road. WE WILL SEE. WISH US LUCK. I also wish our rig had 16 inch like the new ones do now.:confused:

Last edited:
I just had 6 new MAXIS tires put on our Cyclone. My dealer advised Goodyear is have lots of trouble with their trailer tires,he use to sell them also. He has not had troubles with Maxis. I will find out. We are leaving from Canton GA heading to Vegas then to Denver, Nebraska, then back to Canton in a 2 1/2 week trip. So my new tires will get a work out. I have 2 new spares on board with us. I hope I do not need them. We will see it the 15 inch tires will make it. So far we had put over 10K on the first set of factory installed Mission tires with out failure. But they were 3 years old and no way were we going on a almost 4000 mile trip with those tires still on there. So sending 600 bucks was not a big deal. Now I know I have new rubber on the road. WE WILL SEE. WISH US LUCK. I also wish our rig had 16 inch like the new ones do now.:confused:

Let us know how it goes with the MAXIS. We are in need of new tires as well. Two of my goodyear marathons are starting to separate/bulge after 10k miles. Fortunately, we're not going anywhere until it cools off (102 today).

b_pilot

I had trouble with Marathon tires on my Everest 5th wheel. The trailer came with D rated tires. At about the 4th year the tires started to bulge at the bead. Goodyear replaced all four with the same tire. After only one year and one long trip, those tires did the same thing. The Goodyear dealer again replaced the tires but this time put G rated tires on the trailer. Didn't have any problems for the two years that I had those tires. My Everest was stolen from storage lot this past Easter. Now I have a 2010 Bighorn 3600RL with 16 inch G rated tires. I hope they hold up well. I'm paranoid about having a blowout. My friend had a blowout that did damage to the underside of trailer.

vangoes

On various forums I can not remember reading any bad things about the Maxxis tires; however, these tires do not seem to be widely distributed. Are these tires good enough to pay the shipping to get them and to pay the premium it will cost to have them mounted at a tire dealer due to not buying the tire at that location. I'm in need to replace my tires so any input would be appreciated.

Here is a picture of what our separated Goodyear Marathon tires look like. Glad we made it home before they blew!

//heartlandowners.org/picture.php?albumid=61&pictureid=250

fhollan

Discount Tire Store!

On various forums I can not remember reading any bad things about the Maxxis tires; however, these tires do not seem to be widely distributed. Are these tires good enough to pay the shipping to get them and to pay the premium it will cost to have them mounted at a tire dealer due to not buying the tire at that location. I'm in need to replace my tires so any input would be appreciated.

Several months ago I called the Maxxis Company and asked for a quote on their tires. He quoted me $197.00 per tire. Doing research on who else sold their tires around my area, I found that Discount Tire sold them. I called them and their price was $130.00 per tire. I got them balanced along with the steel valves. Total package for everything around $780.00.

If you would buy them from Maxxis direct at their price, for four tires would be $788.00. And then you would have to find someone to mount them and pay that cost.

yrusohi

I am crazy about tire problems (avoiding at all costs). Were the blowouts all on the same side? With all of the tire problems I read about, are 16" rims and G rated tires a good investment? I pull heavy work trailers with 16" rims and Kuhmo tires and have had no problem (not abuse related) yet.

Yes, all three tires were on same side. Pressures were all good and temps were not high at all. We made it to Colorado, but now worried about the trip home with the other three on opposite side. They appear to be good, but who knows

trvlrerik

I talked with a fleet manager for a trucking company in regard to good and problem tires. He told me that he has found that a sideways wind load causes more problems than most people realise on high profile vehicles. Wind causes the sidewalls to flex and pull making higher heat on the side being pushed. His advise in regard to specific brands was to check the build date printed on the tire and if it was over 2 years old not to use it as it had a higher probability of "delaminating failure" (blowout). His personal company data showed nearly no difference in different tire brands, just tire age, as long as the tire pressure was maintained properly. This was compairing 16" G rated trailer tires. His personal advise to me was to replace tires in sets, if one tire failed, the others are in nearly the same condition.
Not what I wanted to hear.

yrusohi

Well, return trip yielded same results. After leaving Pueblo, CO the fourth marathon blew just outside of Amarillo. Contacted Goodyear and pulled into Discount Tire. At first, Goodyear wanted to repair only the blown tire, after some choice words with the goodyear rep, 3 new maxxis tires were put on the rig for $28 a piece. All three tires had 8/32 tread and the spare had 9/32. Not a happy camper spending much vacation time repairing flat tires.

boxcar1511

Loco. we also live in the atlanta area and are currently looking to replace our 4 year old mission tires. just wondering what size you are running. and who you delt with on you tire purchase.

lwmcguir

A few years ago I blew a new Marathon on our Yellowstone (actually on the way to the dealer to pickup the Augusta) and wiped out the fender skirt, wiring and so on. Tread came off first and did all the damage. If you are going to tow hot and heavy then look at 17.5 tires/wheels. Takes the worry out.

ghoffman

I had two blow outs within a 100 miles coming back from Key West this summer. Bought two new tires on the road, kept one. One month later another Goodyear Marathon blew out and caused $1800.00 in damage to my Big Country. Filed a claim with Goodyear, sent tire to them and they paid for the tire and the $1800 in damage. I only kept one of the other tires and took it to Goodyear tire center today and they gave me a new one.

SJH

Past Washington Chapter Leaders
Here is a picture of a new Marathon (under 600 miles) Always properly inflated, never curbed, and ran under 65 mph. This was on our previous rig which was only a 10,000 GVWR 5th wheel.

rick_debbie_gallant

Okay boys and girls what should I do? I just happened to look down at
One of my tires and saw a piece of wire sticking out of one of the grooves. I am not
Sure if it is a part of a belt or a foregien body picked
Up.