Insulation in Slides

elwaller39

Evans & Lana
there is some insulation, but there is a need for alot more. I hope the day will come when there is more insultion in the slide outs.

jbeletti

Hi Terri,

Great question. I think I have the answer for you on Landmark.

There is fiberglass batting in the roof and narrow side walls. There is solid block foam in the large outer wall. The floor is not insulated.

Hey Evans,

I too would like to see more insulation in the slide rooms but I also understand the challenges and costs in doing so. It's a great point, so let's dig into this a bit to help others better understand.

For a flush floor slide out, my sense is that to increase the floor thickness by say, 3" would require a floor that has a "step-up".

To add more insulation to the ceiling, say another 2" or 3" would require either a taller slide room, if that is possible, or a shorter ceiling height in the slide room.

To add more insulation in the narrow side walls of the slide room would be the easiest to do. Just make thicker (say 2 more inches) walls with more insulation in them. Trouble with that is you'd lose 4" of interior room in the slide. That would make an already cramped space even more cramped. Now, I suppose we could make a 4" longer slide (in some models).

Everything like this drives costs at the manufacturing level which increases the wholesale/dealer cost which increases retail cost to the customer.

I think the way Heartland would evaluate this is to ask "what percentage of owners would pay for the increased cost if it was, say $2,000 for all slides?'' (just a guess on cost)

If the answer is not 80% (my guess, not an official Heartland answer), then is it right and fair to add that cost for everyone buying a Heartland?

Then, on a competitive level, does that put us in another price class?

In order to provide an RV people want at a price point they can afford, relative to the competition, we need to be very mindful of our retail price. Hate to start losing hundreds of unit sales because we drove the cost too far offering something in 100% of coaches that only a smaller percentage of buyers were willing to pay for.

That's my 3 cents :)

Jim,
you are right on some of the things you said...however there are more than several different 5er manufacturers that do insulate their slide-outs all the way around...Some have a little more heighth in the slide-out...but there is no step...they are flush with floor. The thicker walls, that are on some manufacturers slide-outs, do not cramp the space. Surprisingly, the manufacturers that offer this better insulation, are in the same price range and some a little lower...obviously there are those 5ers that have this insulation in there slide-outs, that are a bit more pricier than the Landmark.