stailizing the Big Horn 3055 RL

kascraft

What is the best way to stabilize the fifth wheel when parking? it seems no matter what we do we get a lot of movement after unloading. we level it from side to side using small flat boards, Trex boards we have cut to fit under the wheels, usually maximum of two boards, the we level front to back and lower the rear stabilizing jacks before putting the slides out. Any information would be greatly appreciated.

TXBobcat

Fulltime
I have seen a lot of trailers using the tripods and JT Strongarms to stabilize their trailer. I have never used one.

While in Goshen getting Mor/Ryde IS installed, they had the JT Strongarm system and everyone said it was a world of difference, so we had them installed.

Well, it is true, JT Strongarm system does work... We get no movement if I set the trailer up correctly. A little expensive for me but it will be worth it in the long run.

If you can afford it, go ahead, it will make a difference.

BC

Badpig

John & Becky (with Piper)
IWe have the 3055 and use a king pin tri pod which has helped significantly on the front. The rear stabilizing jacks seem to do fine in the rear but we do still get some movement.

John

osims

bsims
We also use the JT strongarms and they work very well. I think they are about $350, but well worth the money. They furnish good installation instuctions and it takes about 3-4 hours to install.
Bill

Ray LeTourneau

Senior Member - Past Moderator
We use an aluminum tri pod stabilizer. We also use chocks in front and rear of the tires. When we set the chocks, we put the rears in and put the truck in reverse and put good pressure against them before setting the front chocks. This prevents front to rear movement after set up. I just added two scissors jacks to the frame just in front of the tires, one on each side. This combination works well for us. Very little movement. Keep in mind, everyone has their own method for stabilizing and all of the methods probably work very well. I guess like all things, you go through the trial and error method to find what works best for you.

ChopperBill

I just cinch up the rear stabilizers fairly snug and our movement is pretty unnoticeable. When we first got the trailer I use to just let them contact the ground and the trailer would rock pretty much.

kakampers

Past Heartland Ambassador
I just cinch up the rear stabilizers fairly snug and our movement is pretty unnoticeable. When we first got the trailer I use to just let them contact the ground and the trailer would rock pretty much.

This is one thing we learned...you must "load" the rear jacks to make them function properly. After lowering the rear jacks and snugging them up..."bump" the front landing gear "up" just slightly (make sure to leave your front to back leveling slightly off to accomodate this manuever). This achieves what is known as loading the jacks...they must have significant pressure on them to stop movement. In addition, JT stabilizers are indispensible in helping to stablize any RV.

jmgratz

Original Owners Club Member
Never heard of that loading procedure but it stands to reason it would work. I remember my PDI being told to stop the rear legs as soon as they make contact with ground. I often wondered what good they would do if you did that. I always let them make ground contact and then keep going until I hear the motor begin to labor. Then stop them. That seems to work for me. I will try the loading procedure to see how that works. Always open for another, maybe easier, way.

Bobby A

The biggest improvement I've noticed, is to keep your front landing gear as low as possible, cinder blocks, concrete blocks, wood, ect. That way I don't have to extend my landing gear to high, I noticed a BIG improvement.

DntDctr

JT's or some other brand. Best investment yet. First trip out couldn't enjoy it cause of the movement. Readjusted the next day and still way too much movement. Installed the jt's the following weekend and rock steady ever since. Pricey at 350 but knowing what i know now I'd pay 1000 for them.

2010augusta

Ultra-fabs are the same as the JT's and both are great. We can run the washer at 1200 rpm spin and barely notice it.

kakampers

Past Heartland Ambassador
Jim...learned this little trick from the guy who installed our JT's on our travel trailer back in 06'...he's also the one who developed the JT's. He explained that the jacks just touching the ground did no good unless they had pressure on them...thus the "loading" theory...seems to work great!

Peteandsharon

I guess the question I have about that "loading" procedure is whether you can overload the rear electric stabilizers. I would assume they have a weight capacity so I'm guessing that "bumping up" the front landing gear means exactly that. If you over do this I'm assuming that you could do damage to the rear stabilizers or even the front landing gear????