Did I mess Up? (or not)

rick_debbie_gallant

:confused:Just bought us a brand spanking new Dodge Ram 2500 Big Horn Quad cab with the 6.7 cummins. Then went out and bought a 3670 Big Horn fifth wheel (my wife fell in love with it). Now after reading all of the posts about this, that and t'other I am wondering if I screwed up with the 2500. If I did I will just have to pull light and stock up when we get to where we are going. Anyone have any thoughts? Someone put my mind at ease.... Anything that I can do to make things better?

wyleyrabbit

Hmmm. I have the truck in my sig and the 3055RL, and honestly I am very glad I have the truck I do. I've gone through the scales and have been close to the payload limit. Seriously. My GVWR is 11,400 lbs and with the hitch, a full tank, the trailer, the 70 lb dog, my wife and son...it was close.

Ya might want to sit down and do the math again with your truck dealer.

Chris

Badpig

John & Becky (with Piper)
I had a 2004 Dodge quad cab 2500 when we bought a Bighorn 3055 RL several months ago. After much research and consideration we now have a new 2009 Dodge quad cab dually with the 6.7 and factory engine brake. I was not comfortable with towing long distances on 6% grades with the 2500. Luckily I had someone that needed it to pull a boat. Other than load considerations you might want to think about an engine brake if it did not come factory equipped.

sgtbigb

I just brought a 3610RE and have a 07 Dodge 2500. I know I am over the limit and is looking to upgrade to a 3500.

ralphpam

We have the 3670RL and pull with a 2009 Dodge 3500 CTD drw and when loaded to go we are running at 23300 pounds which is slightly over. There is now way you will be within your weights especially the pin weight. The engine and transmission will handle it and if you put air bags on the truck you will be better. Myself I would not want to tow long distances with it.

wyleyrabbit

Plus, as has happened to people here on this forum, you do not want to be towing overweight and get caught by the highway patrol.

2010augusta

We we started looking for a trailer, I found a great piece of advise. Pick the fifth wheel first and then find a truck that can pull it. We fell in love with the Augusta and ordered one with the exact options we needed and heartland or the dealer gave us a good estimate of dry weight with the options and the max trailer weight. I took the numbers to the local Dodge truck dealer and after a few minutes of talking the salesman told me they have nothing and I need to go across the street to Ford if I want to pull a trailer that heavy. Ford just happened to have a great F-450 Hauler setting on the lot for close to 100 days, so I got it cheap. Sorry about the long story, but to sum up it is very important to match the truck and trailer, and it look like your truck is too small or your trailer is too big, I would change one of the two. JMHO.

Delaine and Lindy

Rich until you get the correct weight which can be gotten at any Cat Scale you want know. I would guess your pin weight will be the problem and you will be close on you GVWR but as I said you want know until you put it on the Cat Scales ready to go RVing. I have never met anyone who has been given a ticket for being over weight in a RV. Maybe someone has but I haven't. Good Luck... GBY...

Drew

I have a 3600 RL. I towed it once empty with my F-250. When we hooked it up at the dealer my bride said we could get a new truck. We now have a F-250 and a Dodge DRW,3500, 4x4, quad cab.
IMG_2721.jpg

rick_debbie_gallant

That sure is a purrty red truck ya have there:D. Same color as my 2500. Want to work out a trade:cool:? I will even through in some storage boxes. Thanks for the reply.

Drew

As you can see, I have the 3/4 ton truck covered:). I do feel for you. You really do need a dually. Good luck to you. Drew

If it makes you feel any better, I know two guys that pull 40 toy haulers with SRW Dodge trucks..............

We have the Bighorn 3370 RL and pull it with a 2005 Dodge. We just completed an 11000 mile cross country trip without any problems at all. Before I left I had airbags and a jake brake put on. Could have done without the Jake brake. We had it weighed at the Rally in Goshen and everything was in limits. Avg. 13 mpg. IF we ever buy a new truck it will be a RV hauler. But am very happy with the one we have.

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
I think there are a few folks pulling 3670's and Augusta's with 2500 series trucks. Might be stretching it doing so, but they claim no problems. Might all depend on where you plan to haul your rig and how much excess baggage you're carrying. And as mentioned frequently, it's not so much the pulling but the stopping that you need to be concerned about.

Pulltab

It is refreshing to see people paying attention to what they are towing with! :) Always best to error on the safe side.

mregister

In my research of late not even the 3500 series diesels from Dodge (and others) are suitable either in most instances to tow the bighorns with a gvwr of 16000 lbs like the 3670 I am looking to buy.

Unless (in the case of the Dodge) the 3500 truck is equiped with the 4.10 axle, it is not rated to tow a 16000 lb trailer.

sgtbigb

2500 vs 3500 dodges

You are right, there is only 1000 lb difference betwwen the two unless you have the 410 rear end. :confused:The F250 ford and F350 ford has the same Limit:eek:

mregister

yeah, attached is a snippet from the dodge website. Look how much the tow capacity varies, and unfortunately, the 3.73 gear is the only one available within 500 miles of me in dealer stock. I hope I can get lucky and find a good used one (Montana is full of crappy trucks at a premium price), but if not, I will order a new one and be sure to select a 4.10 differential.

towrating.jpg

dbylinski

NE Reg Dir Retired
Drew, I noticed in you pic that you have the new style mirrors on your Ford. Are they the newer factory mirrors or a knock off? Where did you get them? I don't like the mirrors on our '05 and if I'm going to learn to haul the BH I want to be comfortable.

Oldlthrneck

Just an Old Jarhead
Plus, as has happened to people here on this forum, you do not want to be towing overweight and get caught by the highway patrol.

I am not aware of anyone on this forum that was "caught" by the highway patrol from being overweight. Could you elaborate or could the person that was caught speak up, would like to know what exactly transpired?
I have pulled my rig in many states and have never gotten a second glance from any LEO. Sure would like to know where this happened.
Thanks
Fred