Maximum safe tire pressure

branson4020

Icantre Member
We have a Bighorn 3385 with 6000 lb axles and E-rated tires. I've recently installed a tpms and yesterday, on our trip home, the "high pressure" alarm went off. We started out in the morning in nice 70 degree weather with 80 psi in trailer tires and truck rear tires. By 3:00 in the afternoon, it was 95 degrees as we rolled through central Washington and the tire pressure had increased to almost 100 psi :eek:.

Anybody have any wisdom here? I know that a pressure increase is normal as tire heats up, but I was a little concerned by the numbers. I've checked a couple of manufacturer's websites and can't find any information about a maximum safe working pressure. In the meantime, I think I'll just disable the TPMS alarm. Ignorance is bliss ;).

Ray LeTourneau

Senior Member - Past Moderator
I know nothing about tire presure monitors but I think 100psi while traveling in 90 plus temps is normal. I've read in several articles that tires are designed to accommodate those higher warm pressures as long as the max cold pressures are adhered to.

jmgratz

Original Owners Club Member
At a tire seminar at the Escapade this May I asked the tire expert (he was a tire engineer with Goodyear for 37 years) that very question about the increase in inflation. He told us the tires are designed for that and there is nothing to worry about. I don't know what kind of TPMS you have but I have a Doran. I can program my baseline and my tire will vary from 80 cold to 118 hot. I don't worry about that since the seminar. He did say underinflation if the tire's big enemy.

branson4020

Icantre Member
Ray, Jim,

Thanks for the info. I also have a Doran system and I only turned on the high-pressure alarm this last trip. Guess I'll just disable it and not worry about it.

jmgratz

Original Owners Club Member
Yeah, that is why I asked him the question is because I was noticing how high the pressure would get. It is kind of spooky. Also have noticed there is a 2-5 psi difference in the sun versus the shady sides.