Too much RV for the truck?

StevenJ

I have a 08 Bighorn 3600RLNone, but my 2003 Ford F-250 crew cab 7.3 diesel doesn't. The RV weight rating says I'm fully loaded,(11,700# dry weight plus cargo), I think I'm overloaded. My transmission went out last Aug. 08 after about approx. 2000 miles of towing, did a total rebuild and built it stronger than orginal with a heavier torgue converter. In May 09 the transmission overheated so I slowed down and limped it home. My tranny guy dissambled the trans. and said it's good so he replaced the torque converter saying it could be slipping and creating heat from friction. This took care of the problem and is working as of today. I'm thinking of re-gearing the axles, I have 3.73 now. Does any body have any helpful info or experiences with this problem? Thank You, Steven J.

kakampers

Past Heartland Ambassador
I think you're right in saying you are overloaded. As for the transmission, replacing the torque converter, etc., with the same parts will just produce the same problems. If you are going to keep the truck you need to have a transmission installed that can handle the load. ATS in Denver makes heavy duty deisel transmissions specifically for towing applications. They include heavier valve bodies, torque converters, fluid pans, etc., and also tranmission controllers (the commander) which will lock the converter out at selected speeds to avoid overheating.

As you can imagine they're not cheap, however, it's much cheaper than a new truck...just a thought.

StevenJ

It looks like you have the ultimate puller. What kind of mileage do you get,(if you don't mind my asking). Yeah, I've looked at new trucks and I can do a lot to the one I have and still be better off. I will know what I have. I usually pull at 68 mph in overdrive. It runs pretty decent even on small hills.

jmgratz

Original Owners Club Member
There are two items I have on my truck which are part of the Banks package I have. They are called the TransCommand and SmartLock. The transcommand changes the shift points depending on the needs of the truck such as towing or not towing, light or heavy acceleration. The SmartLock works on the torque converter and locks up the torque converter when towing as needed to keep the transmission from overheating. You can contact a dealer who carries Banks systems or check out the Banks systems online for more info.

kakampers

Past Heartland Ambassador
Yeah...it's a bit of a beast, recently tamed, but that's another story...:rolleyes:

We get around 10mpg towing, and we weigh in at just of 28,000lb GCWR. When not towing we get approximately 13mpg...not bad for the size and capability of the truck. However, it is a truck, made originally for heavy jobs, i.e, dump truck, tow truck, etc., and it rides like one. It also doesn't have the fit and finish of a light duty pick-up, but it does the job and then some.

It actually has the same 6.6 Duramax engine, and Allison 1000 transmission you find in the regular Chevy trucks...by the way, the Allison is bullet proof...never had a nicer transmission, not even the one from ATS we had put in our old 98 Dodge. Just didn't feel that a 1-ton truck gave us any "room to spare", especially since we fulltime.

I think you may be overloaded.. If i am correct, i believe the tow rating is 12000-13400 on that year.. You didn"t say if it was 2wd or 4x4.. it will make a difference. I would suggest going to at least a 3.73 or even a 4.10 to see if that improves the life of your transmission. Also check into a larger trans cooler. the factory one always seem to be on the small size...

Wallace

That same trans and rear end was available in the F350 dual wheel set up so that is not your problem.
As for a F250 you can max the gross combination weight out at 22,500lbs

geeksrus

MY BAD>>>>>>>>>>>> I mis-read the unit>>>>>>>>>>>> Eh!

I have the same coach as you. A year ago I purchased a 2008 RAM3500, 4x4, DRW with a 4.10 rear end. I got this as it was in my safety comfort zone regarding weights.
The new truck replaced a 2003 Ford F350, 4x4, SRW with a 4.10 rear end. I felt I was quite a bit over weight with this TV.

Eh!

Last edited:

svd

I had a 2001 F-350, and installed a temp guage. When I had the trans flushed and filter changed, I installed a new aftermarket torque converter. The front trans seal was leaking and needed replacement. I also had an 06 Ford heavy duty trans cooler installed. It was about 3 times the size of the one I had. The trans shop said the earlier Fords have trans coolers that he felt were too small.

Before the change, the trans would run anywhere between 200 and 220 (which the trans shop said contributed to the front seal failure). With the new cooler, the range was 160-180.

bighorn3370

You are overweight. I have the same truck, a 2003 F-250 4x4 crewcab with a long bed. I pull a BH3370, and that is overwight for the truck. If you read Ford's fineprint with the F-250, a fifth is only about 10,600 lbs. but you can pull 12,500 lbs from the factory hitch. I know my truck full of fuel and fifthwheel hitch weighs in at just under 8,000 lbs. That only leaves 800 for the 8800 gvw. I have never pulled in big hills, but my truck is stock, and I always tow with the overdive off and my transmission has never been over 180.