Tires and Hubs

salwolfe

Couldn't find an EDGE thread for tires or hubs or figure out how to start one under technical, so sorry about that. Perhaps someone can help me with this anyway. Just got a 2010 M21 and there is no documentation with the unit about EZ hubs, who is the manufacturer, model number, etc., and no tech information on tire pressures, loads, etc. My web search on what I have on the tires, PowerKing Towmax STR, has a marketing company shown on the documentation, TBC Corporation. Their website has no information on the tires, only on companies they own and market through. Where can I get tech info on the tires and hubs? Thank you.

Steve
2010 M21 Edge

Ray LeTourneau

Senior Member - Past Moderator
Steve, I moved your questions to the ask the factory section of the Edge Forum. They should be able to respond to your question about the hubs. As for the tire pressures, you should have a VIN sticker on the off door side front corner of the trailer that has the information you need. If you can't find a sticker, you can run the tires at the max cold inflation psi molded into the sidewall of the tire. I don't know Heartlands schedule this week so please be patient in waiting for a response. If you don't see a response by late Monday, you can try calling Heartlands Customer Service.

salwolfe

Ray, thanks. The sticker is there and tells me the cold tire pressure, regardless of weight of the unit, should be 50 lbs., which is also the max. cold tire pressure molded into the sidewall of the tires. Will hopefully get a response from Heartland next week. Appreciate the help.

Steve

salwolfe

No message from the factory after all this time. Guess I'll be calling them soon. Was hoping for a response about the hubs so I can educate myself about them.

Steve
2010 M21 Edge
2009 Dodge Ram 1500

Ray LeTourneau

No message from the factory after all this time. Guess I'll be calling them soon. Was hoping for a response about the hubs so I can educate myself about them.

Steve
2010 M21 Edge
2009 Dodge Ram 1500
I think the only real info you need to worry about is maintenance. First and foremost, do not over grease these hubs from the ez lube fitting. You can ruin a set of brake shoes and a seal very easy. The bearings should be manually cleaned and repacked yearly and brakes adjusted as needed. Don't rely on the ez lube feature for annual maintenance. Replace the grease seal at your first opportunity with a U.S. made seal. My preference is Chicago Rawhide Seals. Inspect your leaf springs and shackles often and don't forget to check the torque on the lug nuts. Happy camping!

FennerJ

Heartland Dealer Service
I apologize, Ray did such a good job at answering your question I didnt realize you were still waiting on an answer from the factory. The only part that I can see that didnt get answered was who is the manufacturer. Lippert Components and you can get manuals and all the details you want on their website www.lci1.com

salwolfe

Thanks FennerJ and Ray. Yes, I did want the manufacturer name - I'm kind of a detail freak and like to learn as much as I need to know about maintenance and safety issues. Appreciate the responses.

Steve
2010 M21 Edge
2009 Dodge 1500 RAM Hemi

cmj685

Ray,
Could you take a moment and explain why you don't like the idea of using the EZ hubs for annual maintenance? I always thought that was the point of EZ hubs (we don't have them on our current vehicle so I am certainly no expert!)? If you don't use the feature, are you back to doing the job in the regular way every year? Thanks for all your wisdom!
Mike

Ray LeTourneau

Ray,
Could you take a moment and explain why you don't like the idea of using the EZ hubs for annual maintenance? I always thought that was the point of EZ hubs (we don't have them on our current vehicle so I am certainly no expert!)? If you don't use the feature, are you back to doing the job in the regular way every year? Thanks for all your wisdom!
Mike
Hi Mike. I think the theory behind the EZ lube hubs is more for a quick shot or two of grease if an owner may be in doubt about the amount of grease in the hub and bearing set. Grease degrades after time with normal use and breaks down from the heating and cooling of normal use. A shot of grease now and then sort of revitalizes it for a short period. Annual Periodic Maintenance insures you that several things are OK. Your bearings, if improperly adjusted, will create more heat and wear faster. Your brake shoes wear with use and spread dust inside the drum and road grit gets in there as well so annual PM's are a way to insure your brakes, bearings, grease seals and related hardware are inspected, cleaned and replaced and adjusted as needed. This greatly reduces the chance of failure when you least expect it. If you force too much grease in using the EZ lube feature, you can blow the seal on the hub which in turn will allow grease into your brakes and make a pretty expensive mess. I hope this helps. I've moved this thread into Edge General Discussions. Maybe Jim or LK can create a maintenance section at a later time.

Last edited:

wdk450

Don't necessarily believe the tire sticker

Mike:
The tire sticker on my 3670RL says "80 PSI Cold". That is TOTALLY WRONG. I have been advised to always use the max pressure molded on the tire. (Heartland didn't think it important enough to give me a new sticker).

caissiel

Not exactly wrong, the tire pressure on the unit should reflect the requirement as per the weight on the tire. I to use the tire max pressure because its your best for wear and heat. If the ride is to rough like using G tires a lower pressure as low as the sticker pressure could be used. I do the same on my car and truck tires and so far have never had a broken belt or tire problems, and that is since 1976

cmj685

Thanks Ray. I have been lurking on the board for a time and have appreciated your knowledge and the way you share it each time!