Updates

leftyf

SSG Stumpy-VA Terrorist
There will be a lot of updates to this area over the next few weeks. I've been doing the VA shuffle re-learning how to walk. And, this has kept me from doing anything with this section.

TTYL.

SmokeyBare

Sure glad to see you Post once again Lefty !! Missed your West Texas Humor !!

I'll be looking forward to seeing the updates.

Marv

TXBobcat

Fulltime
Hay Lefty.. Glad to see your still kicking. Thought maybe some of those nurses got the best of you...

Bring us up to date. Where are you in the upgrade and how are you getting along..

We need all the old fa.... Well you know.. we can get.. Keep in touch..
BC

Bob&Patty

Founders of SoCal Chapter
Well dude its about time. How the heck are ya. Been missing your snipits and your ol' cranky answers. Welcome back... Bob:D

yondering

Retired-Full Timer
Not sure if this is the right place to ask, if so, I am researching info on a power lift or steps to replace the factory steps on our bighorn. My wife has very bad knees, and it looks like replacement time. We would need all the help we can get to enter/exit RV. Thanks, And God Bless ya, Al

cjbearden

Visitor
//heartlandowners.org/showthread.php?t=8405

Here is a thread Lefty started with good information on various entry lifts. Yondering I totally understand about the knee replacements and wish your wife well. Been there, done that but when we had a stick/brick house. Needing to have a left hip replacement myself but haven't committed to it until I can have some type of lift installed.

leftyf

SSG Stumpy-VA Terrorist

The majority of the lifts are really for motor homes. The ones that are available look like an add-on after thought.

Biggest problem is that the Heartland products don't bode well for many commercial modifications. Most of the, under the trailer, lifts require more space than is available by a foot or more. The placement of the tanks interferes with installation of a decent wheel chair lifts that don't appear to be a hodge-podge of mismatched equipment.

The external lifts are really nothing more than a long electric trailer jack with a seat.

The biggest handicap is going to be a finding a vendor that will do a proper installation and complete the follow through necessary for a quality installation. The vendors are only concerned with selling you their product. They could careless how it gets installed, how it looks after installtion or even if it works properly. H*ll, most aren't concerned anything other than payment.

The VA made Ride-Away remove their mods to my truck as they were incorrectly installed and a real safety hazard. They wanted to do a 4 bolt installation and did not have the capability or the interest to any type of other mods to make their equipment work properly.

No one wants to be told that their $1800 chrome whatchamacallit has to be removed before their $800 step will work.

Hope you can find the right combination of vendor and equipment to meet your needs. I'm still looking.

SmokeyBare

Lefty,

Thanks for correcting the questionable information I posted. I was hoping you would offer some assistance. Sure hope you locate someone who can produce and install correctly something that will do the Job for you...

Hope to see you on the road some day my Friend...

Marv

leftyf

SSG Stumpy-VA Terrorist
Lefty,

Thanks for correcting the questionable information I posted. I was hoping you would offer some assistance. Sure hope you locate someone who can produce and install correctly something that will do the Job for you...

Hope to see you on the road some day my Friend...

Marv

Your information is not questionable nor incorrect, Marv. I've been to your sites myself and there is valuable information there for people other than me and my weird wants and requirements.

The equipment is really mostly for motorhomes and I wish I could find the equivalent for my Big Horn. There is little equipment that will fit a Heartland product as far as lifts go. There is quite a bit of information here about the search for a lift and a good Bruno type seat for my Silverado.

The equipment is there...just finding it is going to be the problem. There is no acceptable swivel seat base for the Chevrolet truck with anything other than a manual seat.

jmgratz

Original Owners Club Member
The equipment is really mostly for motorhomes and I wish I could find the equivalent for my Big Horn. There is little equipment that will fit a Heartland product as far as lifts go. There is quite a bit of information here about the search for a lift and a good Bruno type seat for my Silverado.

There you go Lefty...it is your opportunity to design something that will work, get a patient on it, market it then just sit back and watch the money roll in. Sounds like at great plan to me.:eek:

elwaller39

Evans & Lana
I hope all is going well with you Lefty. I sure have missed visting with you on the chat line. good luke to you Lefty!!

leftyf

SSG Stumpy-VA Terrorist
Well H*ll....

Looks like I've once again got the time to update what's been happening and the progress that I've made in making my RV a little more handicapped friendly.

In a word, zip, nada, zilch. About 99% of the work here has come to a screeching halt.

1. I added a second AC to the RV. The main AC took a hike and because it was going to take a couple of weeks to get the part and get it installed...I opted for a the scond unit. Well worth the money. The primary unit has been repaired. The big two unit test will have to wait until next spring/summer. Adding the second unit cause me to have to move the Wingard dish over nearly a foot. So, if you put up a roof dish....be careful of placement if you plan on adding a 2d AC.

2. I fired the contractor doing the work on my RV. I got tired of being #10 on his priority list and #1 on his cash cow list. He left with 1/2 of the flooring undone. At least he didn't have time to mess up the under-the-floor heaters.

3. All the marker/stop/turn lights have been replaced with LED's. Along with all the overheads replace with florescents. Go with the 30watters...the 15's just don't put out the lighting these old eyes need.

4. The rooftop internet dish was rehomed to the new satellite per Starband...boy, now that was fun, fun, fun. Signal levels way up...speed up too. Now, lets see how it works when they transition the other 58, 934 dishes to the same bird.

5. Replaced the toilet seat again. The new one split into two pieces the 3d week of use. If this one dies...me and the old rotozip tool are going into the toilet seat business.

6. Adding that chest freezer was one of my best ideas so far.

7. Going to be doing a little winterizing later this month...before the temps start going down. Have to dig the old waterhose out and see how badly the heat tape has been damaged by the park mowing. And add a couple of 40 watt light fixtures to keep the center heat up above the freeze point.

8. And tons a minor stuff to do over the winter. Have to dig all the neat stuff out of the storage area and get it installed over the winter.

9. Bought a new heated waterhose from Doctor Fosters. Back ordered until November...I anticipate a small ice age while I wait for delivery.

Last edited: