Can't figure out how to level front to back

We are new owners of a 3914, which we LOVE! This is our first fifth wheel, and front-to-back leveling seems to be a bit different from our previous 30ft travel trailer-type toy hauler. Side-to-side is the same, but we run out of landing leg length when we level front-to-back. Our first time, the front was too high, we lowered it as far as it would go, and it was still too high. Our next set-up, the front was too low, we raised it as far as it would go (blew a fuse), and it was still too low. We have adjustable leg extensions that replace the need for blocks, which we extend first before extending the main landing gear (which is hydraulic- nice!!) Any tips?? Thanks!!

jmgratz

Original Owners Club Member
I put wooden blocks under the front first. This helps prevent damage to the surface. Then I lower the extensions until it is about 1-2 inches above the blocks. Then I use the power button to extend the legs until it is level. This is if I have to raise the front to get it level. If I will have to lower it until level I put the blocks down, then extend the legs until about 4 inches above the blocks then extend the legs using the power button until unhooked. Pull out the truck then lower the coach until level. Hope this helps. Sometimes it is trial and error but once you have done it a few times you will get the hang of it. The other thing I have done is put a stick on level on the side of the coach where I can see it when I am using the leg extension button.

Ray LeTourneau

Senior Member - Past Moderator
nikkita1956, welcome to the Heartland Family & Forum. I'll try to help but I guess I have to assume you are on reasonably level ground to start.. Once you level side to side, place chocks in font and behind your tires. You should invest in the inexpensive graduated levels and install them on the front wall under the bedroom and the side wall just under the bedroom slide out. In a convenient spot so you can see it as you level the rig. First thing, lower your front landing gear about 4 or 5 inches. THEN drop the adjustable legs and be sure the pins lock in. You might need to raise or lower the legs a bit to do this. Once the pins lock in, continue to raise the rig until the weight is off the hitch. Unplug the trailer wiring, emergency brake cable/wire, release the hitch pin and slowly pull the truck out. Start to lower the rig and watch the level. Once level, set your rear jacks and you should be all set.

Thanks, guys!

Sometimes, the most obvious things elude people! :D I now see the error of our ways, and will try your suggestions on our next trip. We want to get all the "bugs" out....We hope to be full-timing in the near future!!!

truknutt

Committed Member
We are new owners of a 3914, which we LOVE! This is our first fifth wheel, and front-to-back leveling seems to be a bit different from our previous 30ft travel trailer-type toy hauler. Side-to-side is the same, but we run out of landing leg length when we level front-to-back. Our first time, the front was too high, we lowered it as far as it would go, and it was still too high. Our next set-up, the front was too low, we raised it as far as it would go (blew a fuse), and it was still too low. We have adjustable leg extensions that replace the need for blocks, which we extend first before extending the main landing gear (which is hydraulic- nice!!) Any tips?? Thanks!!

nikkita,

First, welcome to the forum; nice to have yet another Cyclone in PA!!

Based upon your comments I can only assume you are camping on the side of a hill in West "by-God" Virginia. :p You really shouldn't be running out of landing gear (if the ground is somewhat level or even sloped). If you lowered the front all the way "the front was too high, we lowered it as far as it would go, and it was still too high" on a 42' rig the tail would have to be 4-5 feet off the ground and give that ramp door a heck of an incline.

So you get the rig level side-to-side,
chock the Cyclone's wheels,
lower front landing gear EXTENSIONS (with or without blocks) as far as necessary to contact the ground,
raise front landing gear enough to get truck out from underneath,
check for front to rear level and raise or lower as needed,
lower REAR stabilizers.

I believe the Cyclones use electric front jacks; slideouts are hydraulic.
Don't raise the front gear all the way as you will blow fuses or worse. I gave myself a 6 inch margin of safety and painted a red band on each leg to tell me or others when to stop raising the legs.

You should consider joining the PA Chapter of the Owner's Club up in Pine Grove next month. We'll have a blast and boy will you learn things about your Cyclone. Here's the link to the PA Chapter Rally.