Water Hammering 3950

In our 3950 when we turn on the water, it makes the biggest rattling noises. Sounds like the trailer is going to rattle the pipes out of the walls. Dealer claims this is normal and no need to worry. No this is not normal, please help me out. Embarrassed.

Ray LeTourneau

Senior Member - Past Moderator
The first question, are you using water from your fresh water tank through the on board water pump? If your answer is yes, Then it's normal to an extent. If it's no and you are using water from the campground through the city water connection then no, it's not normal. When using the water pump, it will vibrate and this causes the pex tubing to bounce and vibrate against anything it's touching. It can be really loud. First, make sure your pump isn't bolted down too tight. It should be mounted in rubber bushings and loose enough to absorb some of that vibration. Next is to try and isolate the pex water lines away from each other and away from anything they touch. I've used 1/2" foam pipe insulation as needed to do this. These tricks will help quiet the beast down to tolerable levels.

ok Ray we are using water out of our fresh water tank. The problem that I have is that the noise was not here at all for the first 8 months. After that you can't even talk in the trailer when your washing, showering or even flushing the toilet. It's baddddddddddddd

jbeletti

desertrider15,

Please contact Heartland Customer Service in the morning. The number is 877-262-8032. Have your VIN ready.

Jim

I am moving this post now to Cyclone - Plumbing

Ray LeTourneau

Senior Member - Past Moderator
ok Ray we are using water out of our fresh water tank. The problem that I have is that the noise was not here at all for the first 8 months. After that you can't even talk in the trailer when your washing, showering or even flushing the toilet. It's baddddddddddddd
Due to the nature of the beast, something may have vibrated to the point of coming loose. Get into the area where your plumbing and water pump is and find the cause. Have someone run the water while you visually inspect and isolate the cause. I'd bet it's related to the pump vibrating. It could be something very easy to fix.

porthole

Retired
In our first trailer we experienced a similar condition. Most of the noise came from the PEX tubing vibrating. Especially noisy where the tubing laid on the floor or against a cabinet.

I covered as much tubing as I could with foam pipe insulation from Home Depot.
That solved most of the noise. Eventually I replaced the water pump with a "non pressure" switch pump.

Many water pumps have a pressure switch the turns the pump on and off at a set pressure, and they tend to pulsate.

Newer pumps are available that pump at the speed required to maintain pressure and are much quieter.