Not So Minor Water Issue

itsbeertime

So we were out this past weekend dry camping and I get up and use the toilet and brush my teeth and turn on pump and hot water heater and go back to bed while water heats. Get back up and try to figure out what small motor running noise is. Can't figure out and go to take shower. NO water. Not a drop. Tank was full earlier. Turn pump off and small motor running noise stops. Ok, things start to register. Go out to UDC and expect to see springs and pieces of check valve all over, but only find the cap blown off the city water inlet and the basement and front compartment and everything in them soaked. I took the screen off the inlet and the check valve falls out in my hand. So after the pump pumped all the water out of the tank and into the basement and onto the ground, it continued to run for who knows how long, a couple of hours maybe. Along with the fact that the hot water heater has now been on with no water in it for the same length of time.

What are the chances both the pump and hot water heater are shot now? I know the pump is made to run dry, but for hours? And the water heater is not meant to be fired up when empty.

And to add insult to injury, it rained off and on all day yesterday so everything is still a big soggy mess. Great way to end what was a nice weekend.

Lesson: For those of you who dry camp, leave the access cover in the UDC open so when this happnes to you at least most of the water will hopefully end up on the ground instead of in your basement.

I have a new valve fitting thing coming from heartland but this should not keep happening. Come on Heartland, fix this issue already.

Ray LeTourneau

Senior Member - Past Moderator
itsbeertime, I think your water heater will be fine unless it drained by siphoning. Even then, while on LP, it should be OK. If it were operating on AC the heating element might have been ruined. Sorry to hear of the check valve problem. I have seen on an earlier thread and have used one myself, a threaded plug to use on the city water connection. Actually, there should be one attached to the connection held in place by a plastic cable.

Pulltab

Yep, sounds like the check valve failed to close. I have had this happen and hearing you tell this story I am going to learn and so can you. From now on when boondocking put a plug in the city water inlet. One just like the one on the black tank cleanout. That way the water can not escape and it will maintain pressure. Bummer of a thing to happen but believe me it could have been worse!

These valves are certainly not error free so even when you get the new one I would still use a plug to install in inlet. A $1 item can save you a lot of headaches. I am picking one up tonight and attaching it inside the docking center with a piece of wire so it won't get lost.

itsbeertime

Pulltab, my black tank flush and city water inlets only have a push in rubber plug. A threaded one is certainly needed hearing all the incidents that keep happening with this valve failing.

Pulltab

Pulltab, my black tank flush and city water inlets only have a push in rubber plug. A threaded one is certainly needed hearing all the incidents that keep happening with this valve failing.
Ok, gottcha! Mine has a screw in plug. I am going to Lowes tonight to find a plug, either plastic or brass. Once I get it I will post a pic if you want. I have the push in deal on my inlet but a screw in on the flush.

itsbeertime

Ok, gottcha! Mine has a screw in plug. I am going to Lowes tonight to find a plug, either plastic or brass. Once I get it I will post a pic if you want. I have the push in deal on my inlet but a screw in on the flush.
Yeah, if you would I'd appreciate it. I need to find one. We dry camp too much. And I HAVE to ask. Why the heck did they put a screw in one on your black but not the city inlet with all the problems with this happening? Makes no sense. I'm still more concerned with my water pump and heater and most likely a soaked under belly than a $2 part.

shaffjc

I once had an idiot attack and my pump ran for 3 days totally dry and still worked fine. Yours might be just fine , also.

Paul & Nan

And we killed our second pump a couple of weekends ago, after only using either one for about 5 days each. We dry camp, mostly, and only got our rig in Sept. last year. We are now having to pay for a better, we hope, pump, so we can camp for a few days at a time and have water. We also had big problems with the fridge, it got up to 60 degrees most of the week when we were out last. Found the fans up top were not working. Hope they will be fixed as well as we are going to our favorite county park this coming weekend. After working 8 days in a row I will have three off. Hoping for the best and the good work of a good dealer. Nan

Pulltab

Paul, has it been extremely hot and sitting in the sun? And does your fridge sit in a slideout with no toppers? Our previous rv had the fridge in the slide and no toppers, in the heat it also struggled to keep temps cool. Just a thought.

itsbeertime

I need to see if the under belly is full of water now that I've got the basement dry. It's sagging but when I push up on it it doesn't feel like there is water in there nor do I hear any sloshing but I need to know so it doesn't get moldy. I dread taking the cover off, or even somewhat off. Anyone know if the insulation is attached up there or is it going to fall out as I undo the cover?

Pulltab

From the factory the insulation is sandwiched between the floor and the black plastic, at least on older units. If yours has a composite floor that may not apply. Dropping the bottom isn't as bad as you think. You don't have to drop the whole thing ..........hopefully. Just drop the front part from the front of the trailer back to say the steps. You will be able to get enough of a view to see if you have further issues.

Pulltab

Here are the photos I promised.

cap002.jpg

cap001.jpg

itsbeertime

Thanks 'Tab, I appreciate the info and pics very much! I was going to try to take just a few screws out at first and see if any water pours out and try to feel the insulation, too. And I received my new inlet panel today as well as a 4 gang light switch to fix my porch light wired to scare light issue. Things are looking up. Thanks to Heartland service!

Pulltab

I don't think you will find any insulation that will be wet as they do not use batt insulation that I know of in the underbelly. They use the foil covered bubble wrap underneath the cover.