Refrigerator Use on the road

Snapper

Can anyone tell me if it is safe to use our fridge while driving down the road. I have read the instructions and they are not clear on this issue. Any help will be a great help.

Be safe and enjoy

Ray LeTourneau

Senior Member - Past Moderator
I'm not sure what the factory will recommend but we leave ours set on auto most of the time so it will switch to LP while traveling. There are some or maybe a couple states that have regulations regarding traveling with LP tanks open and I think NY is one of them through certain tunnels. You can also shut the fridge off and travel for several hours without worry about anything going bad as long as it's cold when you shut it down.

Bob&Patty

Founders of SoCal Chapter
We have never had a problem traveling with the fridge on with any of our many RV's. Bob:D

TXBobcat

Fulltime
Aw heck. This is a real debateable topic. Each person has to make up their own mind.
For information read these topics and then read as much as you can on this page.

http://www.macthefireguy.com/Home-old.htm
http://www.macthefireguy.com/34_fire_facts_that_can_save_your.htm

I took some fire fighting training in the Navy, but I am not a fireman or even close. I am more of a computer guy. So I try to learn from the people who have the most knowledge. Mac McCoy. I have actually met Mac and attended his siminar.

The biggest fires in RV's come from the 12v in the front overhead in Motorhomes. But leaving your Propane on while traveling can be a problem. Sorta like taking out insurance.. You know ERS with Good Sams. You don't say.. I am never going to break down... No so you take out insurance. Well turning off your propane is like taking out insurance. It may never happen to you or to others very often but if it does you will wish you took the precaution..

So for me... I turn off my propane when I travel. Your Refrig will keep food cold and frozen stay frozen for more than a full day. I know, because I have done it.

So take your choice.. Never happen or most likely won't happen. Roll the dice.

BC

klindgren

Retired Virginia Chapter Leaders
Put me in the "I travel with the propane turned on and the refer running" catagory. I've read a couple of horror stories about propane going off durning an accident, but I'm one of those "it's a very small risk I'm willing to take" persons.

In all the years I've been camping with a trailer the only time I shut the propane off is when I am made to going through one of the many tunnels down here in the Tidewater area of Virginia. Problem is, they provide a spot for you to pull over and turn the tanks off (and have them inspected) but they never provide a spot on the other side of the tunnel for you to pull over and turn the tanks back on.

Keith

Tom of Ypsi

Recently had our coach in the shop for two days unplugged and no propane with no thawing of food and the beverages stayed cold. As long as the refer and freezer stays closed it should stay cold.

geeksrus

I always travel with the propane off... reefer is sealed so well it acts as an ice box & we don't get melt in the freezer even on 10-hour travel days.

I feel much more comfortable with the tanks off.

Eh!

itsbeertime

Problem is, they provide a spot for you to pull over and turn the tanks off (and have them inspected) but they never provide a spot on the other side of the tunnel for you to pull over and turn the tanks back on.
You've noticed that too, huh?:rolleyes: Have to make a mental note to remember to turn it back on next time you stop.

As for the OP, I have done both. I usually travel with it on now, but there were times I turned it off and a few of those trips I know for sure were 8-10 hour days in August on our way to Bristol, TN with temps easily in the 80's and 90's all day. No problem with food staying cold and frozen.

combine_billy

I travel with the LP on and the fridge on auto. Usually when I unplug from electricity and before I head down the road I doublecheck the fridge and make sure it switched and is working. Sometimes I have had to turn it off and back on again to get it to work, especially if I havn't used the propane in a long time.

Snapper

Thanks for all the information, I think it is a judgement call on everyones part. I agree that there is a safety issue, however traveling the long hours on the road in the hot summer sun, things could get a little warm.

Thanks again, be safe and enjoy the season.

GETnBYE

When I do "get to go" (see camper repair posts). I always freeze all the food, even butter, sandwich meat etc. I get the fridge and freezer cold before I leave. Then I turn it off. I put some of the frozen items in the freezer that I plan to keep froozen and some in fridge (that I plan to use early in the trip) to keep other Unfreezables cold. By the time we get there (when we get to go), everything is just right.
Does it seem like I getting a little bitter about (NOT GETTING TO GO:(!!!

jmgratz

Original Owners Club Member
Something to think about. According the "Mac the fire guy", don't forget to turn off all of your propane and appliances such as the refrigerator when fueling. A spark from the refrigerator trying to light or water heater trying to light could cause an explosion at the gas pumps from the gasoline vapors in the area. If you can smell the gasoline then the vapor level is high. Just as static spark and ignite the vapor so can the igniter or flame from an RV appliance.

SilverRhino

Something to think about. According the "Mac the fire guy", don't forget to turn off all of your propane and appliances such as the refrigerator when fueling. A spark from the refrigerator trying to light or water heater trying to light could cause an explosion at the gas pumps from the gasoline vapors in the area. If you can smell the gasoline then the vapor level is high. Just as static spark and ignite the vapor so can the igniter or flame from an RV appliance.

We RVed while I was growing up......my father was always seemed to be a fanatic about shutting propane off, extinguishing pilot lights.....when I asked about it he told me of three fires that he saw that were caused or made much worse due to propane being on..........by the way.....he retired from a major metro area fire department as an Arson Investigator!

Soooo.....I have always followed the practice of PROPANE OFF while traveling.....never been a problem....maybe avoided a few!

boatdoc

No reason to have it on if you're doing 10 hour travel days. We used to be "leave it on folks" but we tried "off" many years ago and have never had a problem.

Duramax1

And the debate goes on and on. Typically when I am refueling I do not have the trailer connected or, if it is, the ignition points on the trailer are at least 20 feet away from the gas pumps which is beyond the recommended distance for smoking at the pumps!

wdk450

If this is such a hazard . . .

Gang:
You know they make 3 way RV refrigerators - 110 volts A.C. heating element, propane flame, and 12 volts DC heating element. In fact, the 12 volt and 110 volt electric heating elements are combined in 1 heater cartridge.
The 12 volts was to be used when you are travelling down the road and the vehicle alternator supplying the 12 volt power. The propane was a back-up when you were boondocking as the 12 volt heater ate a lot of power.
So if propane power going down the road is such a hazard, why aren't the 12 volt heated refrigerators standard?

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
wdk450, we had a three way refer in our tent camper. 12 volt worked really well when traveling. However, the last time I checked on a larger size refer like the ones that come in our fifth wheels they were
a little more costly. So I guess that with all the neet things we would like manufacturers to put in our coaches, I think the cost would skyrocket. And I have to add my nickles worth on the debate, we have traveled up to 8 hours in hot weather and have had no problems with anything getting too warm. And if you really want to run on 12 volts, get an inverter for the refer.

Peace
Dave

lhetsler

Refer on while traveling

These new refers are not what Dad used. They have automatic relight systems and a thermocouple with a safety shutoff if no heat is present. If wind blows out the burner, it will automatically relight and will continue to try to relight it self. If relight is not sucessful the gas will shut off.

lhetsler

Refueling

On my 3670 Bighorn, the refer is on the opposite side of the refueling side of the truck and easily 25 feet further back.