2998RB.... Wet Carpet Near Entertainment Center

Del600

Iowa Chapter Founding Father
The wife noticed the rug right at the base of the TV is wet.

I open the panel last night and noticed a lot of damp saw dust in the area, looks like the hot water tank is in there (big styrofoam box).

I did not have water hooked up or in the tanks to check it, and I have an appointment at the dealer tomorrow.

I searched the forum but can't really find anything....

Any thoughts????

Rmcgrath53

It sounds like the problem I had . The fitting on the water tank was loose and I hand tightened and have had no water issues since.
Ron

proudowner

formely cannotdecide
The same thing happened to us, we had to have the whole wooden casing on the slide replaced at the wood swelled at the bottom of it. It must have been leaking for quite some time in our unit (same as yours- 2998 RB).

tmcran

Loose fittings. Tighten every fitting you can find. I did not have one that was tight. I have had no leaks since. I check them about every three days when traveling.

zztop

I copied and pasted this from my post on the Big Horn plumbing page.

ZZ

Well, I think I have found the problem. Although I have not checked for the loose shower drain fitting yet, that's on the back bunner for now.
I got wet carpet again, next to the entertainment cabinet and even a little in the slide under the sofabed. I took a good look in the shower and low and behold, next to the bathroom sink cabinet where the metal frame holding the corner shower glass meets the shower pan, I found a gap about 3/8 of an inch near the wall down to zero at the door hinge. It had been half heartedly caulked. The problem was that whomever had installed the shower had not pushed the frame down against the shower pan and over against the wall. They had just simply screwed it right there leaving the gap. I'm sure he must have been a little behind the rest of the crew and they were yelling at him to hurry up so they could roll the unit down the assembly line. Although it should have been done right in the factory, the fix was easy. Since we are on a 2 month trip to Alaska, I figured I had better bring a few tools. I just happened to bring my Makita cordless drill along. So I just backed out the three self-tapping screws and lightly pushed the frame into place and rescrewed it in the proper position. I then bought some clear caulk and caulked it using a borrowed ( WHAT? You guys think I would have thought to bring that too?) caulking gun from the RV park owner. And guess what ? I was hooked up to sewer with the valve open so I was not worried about an overflowing holding tank.

Well the carpet still got wet.

I found that the hose connection to the city water is leaking at a very slow drip, but enough to fill the bottom of the docking station box. From there it is leaking either through the docking station box joints which appear to be lightly caulked or running out the big hole and seeping under the box and into the living area. I put some plumbers tape around the male hose end which has stopped the leak.
I am going to try to caulk the inside of the docking station box when I get it dry and also up under the big 5-6 inch hole where dsb meets the floor. But I also want to put drains in all 4 corners of the dsb to drain any leaks. Any ideas??
Right now I wish the docking station was all on the exterior as I have flooded the basement before this as others have with a bad hose connetion and had the basement door closed and had not found it for an hour or two.

Any other ideas??

No, I am not a new RVer. The last 5er that I had for 5 years was 5 yrs old when I bought it and had most of the quirks worked out and I did a lot of boondocking and only once was hooked to city water.

ZZ