ac freezing up

lev622

We have had a 2009 razor 3110DS about 2 months now. We had to take it back to the dealer for repairs to both slides and for the ac freezing up. The ac is better but still freezing up especially when using to quick cool vent. So we have to keep it on the low setting. It also doesn't keep it very cool.
Any suggestions? I don't want to take it back to the dealer if my husband might be able to fix it because we are planning to take a short vacation in about 3 weeks.
Thanks
LEV

SmokeyBare

First suggestion... Do a Search on the forum for other modifications & Fixes to the A/C.

Second suggestion is to have Hubby get a ladder... yeah I'm height Challenged... and open the grill below the A/C unit. there are two covers over the screws in the grill... other screws are in the intake side above the filter.

Once he's got the plastic grill off... using a flash light... look for the sheet metal divider wall that separates the air coming into the A/C... from the Cold Air flowing out of the A/C unit. This sheet metal wall is all that prevents the Cold air from being pulled right back into the Return air side of the unit.

The sheet metal divider is held in place with double side tape... this tape can lose it's holding strength and allow the sheet metal wall to slip down... and allow the air to circulate inside the Unit... this, along with a humid condition where your parked.. can create a risk of the Condensation Coil to freeze up.

While your looking up there... be sure the small sensor that detects freeze up conditions... is in place on the Condenser coil. It has 2 wires and it clips on the upper center of the condenser.

If you've found the Sheet metal has a gap that is allowing circulation of the Cold A/C air... use the foil tape to seal the 2 sides of the A/C unit... and seal any other areas that could allow the A/C air to flow into the ceiling... such as holes in the frame of the unit. Last... check the foil tape that seals the discharge side of the A/C Cold flow of air that goes into the duct work... smooth any rough edges... this will help the air flowing into the duct work.

Last is the A/C Tent trick... which you should discover once you've did your search on the forum...

Good Luck !!

lev622

Thanks for the info I will have hubby check into that. Hubby is not height challenged he is 6'4 and we did clean the filter and when we had it in the shop the tech told us that sensor was to far down on the coil so he moved it up but I dont think the tech looked to see if the tape was in place or not.
Thanks again
lev

lev622

Thank you smokeybare,!!!!! Dh found some of the foil tape had come off of the sheet metal divider and a couple of the ducts. We will be going to home depot to get some tape. I will let you know if it helps. I am sure it will help.
Lev