Reese/Draw-Tite Head lock search

Dmaxcc6spd

Reese/Draw-Tite Head lock search - SOLUTION!

With advice from many members here and on other forums, I choose the Reese Signature series hitch. Great hitch, easy install and very soild.

One thing I don't like is the removeable hitch head. The hitch is solid under proper operating conditions, but what about some dumb punk that thinks it would be cool to steal the head or just take out the pins. I'm suprised the manufacturer's lawyers haven't mandated a change here.

Has anyone found a lock that will fit in place of the supplied pins? The pins appear to be the same as any ball-mount style pin. The clearance under the head is my concern.

Thanks for any ideas.

Last edited:

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
Dmaxcc6spd, that could be an easy fix. I think you could just drill a larger hole in the pins and put a lock on them. And if you are worried that may occur the don't forget to lock your jaw release as well. I always do a visual check on my pins before I take off.

Peace
Dave

chasdvorak

Easy Fix Dave,

These lock plates replace the cotter pins that hold the frame pins in place. You can buy them with or w/o locks, but make sure you get locks that are keyed the same. I think most hitch shops should stock these. I got mine off ebay with 4 keyed alike likes for $25 total cost. Here a link:

http://www.etrailer.com/p-58093.htm

Take care,

Chuck

jgallego

I have a four fold truck bed cover that is lockable. It opens from the front or the back. When folded to the front I am able to tow my 5th wheel without a problem. Once I unhitch I lock the cover in place.

Jaime Gallego

porthole

Retired
I have a four fold truck bed cover that is lockable. It opens from the front or the back. When folded to the front I am able to tow my 5th wheel without a problem. Once I unhitch I lock the cover in place.

Jaime Gallego

Got a picture - brand - model?

I just pulled my fiberglass cap off for the season, but really don't like the vinyl cover - pita.