Black Water Tank Dump Handle

Barry Crocker

I felt the handle give a little too much when dumping this AM and now when I close it water drips from the dump valve. The drip is very little but over time it could fill up the line. My questing is do I need to drop the cover under my 3055RL to get to the dump valve? has this happened to anyone else and how did you correct the problem. Thanks in advance for any help.
Barry

ChopperBill

I was "lucky" that cable housing came loose at the handle end. Had to just take a few bolts out of the edge of the bottom and take the nut off the back of the handle. I just pushed the assembly out to the door compartment and now I have to hold the outside housing with one hand and push-pull the handle with the other. It works until I can do the real fix. Other wise yes you have to take the bottom off.

ChopperBill

Get one of these and put it on the end of the sewer. I leave mine on all the time.
27868_01.jpg

HappyKayakers

Hey ChopperBill,
I also use one of those valves on the the end of the pipe. But mine is mainly for traveling. If I had a leaky black tank valve, I would want to make that repair ASAP before *stuff* starts solidifying in the tank.

HappyKayakers

I felt the handle give a little too much when dumping this AM and now when I close it water drips from the dump valve. The drip is very little but over time it could fill up the line. My questing is do I need to drop the cover under my 3055RL to get to the dump valve? has this happened to anyone else and how did you correct the problem. Thanks in advance for any help.
Barry

You should be able to remove a few of the screws holding the underbelly to verify exactly where your valve is located. At that point, it's much easier to just cut a flap in the underbelly, then tape it back up when finished.

Barry Crocker

Thanks!

Thanks for the info guys. I think I'll get me one of those valves retired4fun. Probably save me some time and hassles in the future.

You say you leave it on all the time? No problem with clearences any where?

TXBobcat

Fulltime
I think a number of us use them. I never had a leak on mine but later on I started to get some leaking and added one. So far I have had no problem with clearance.

It looks like this is becoming more frequent. Now Barry, dlg449 (Dave) and I are having similar problems. I wonder how many more will be added to the list.

It looks like we need to come up with some solutions.

BC

HOSS

My black tank leaks also. I can close the valve and it will push back out nearly a half inch by itself. I think something is lodged in the valve even though I flushed the tank until nothing but clear water running out. Took it to the dealer since it was still under waranty. In the future I will add the above mentioned valve for a little added precaution.

HOSS

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
Having required one on my former TT, it's a permanent fixture on mine...just in case. Also have the DrainKing between it and the sewer connection...just in case the tank flusher can't break up the logjam at the gate. A clear extension on the other side of the valve and then the sewer hose. Even on the low-rider TT, it never got in the way or got hung up on anything.

This past visit up north, I actually had to remove the DrainKing and valve to come to the rescue of an older couple with a SOB. He was trying to dump his tank and couldn't get any flow. And the water was backed up to the toilet. He was on the phone to either his dealer or his son, not sure which, when my BIL (who had been chatting with him) called me over. He was about ready to haul his rig back to the dealer, thinking the valve was not opening. Between the DrainKing and my flexible toilet wand, the problem was solved.

porthole

Retired
One of my grey water tanks is leaking a bit, every time I pull the cap there is water in it.

I will be installing a valve like below maybe even today, but I am adding the permanent glue on version.
Figure I'll use it often enough I want it to stay on.

Plus an additional benefit of these is the ability tot share your grey water tanks, especially when the shower tank starts to fill up early on a trip.

Get one of these and put it on the end of the sewer. I leave mine on all the time.
27868_01.jpg

HappyKayakers

Hey porthole,
My valve has stayed on for 3 years without any indication of budging. I did have to replace it once in Amarillo during a hard freeze. If it had been glued on, I would've been sawing and looking for a piece of connecting pipe instead of just replacing the valve.

boatdoc

Those valves work great and our's stays on ALL the time. Great for those senior momments. I also wouldn't go for the glue on, the twist on works perfect. I put a small baggie over the handle and down on the housing with some rubber bands and leave it on all the time untill dumping and it really keeps the valve working like new.

SilverRhino

New BC also Leaking

Third trip with new BC....found that our black tank valve was leaking....of course found this out when hooking up sewer hose.....immediately went into town and purchased a valve for end of pipe.

Was concerned about clearence...but...just made sure to install with handle in an upward 45 degree angle....did not add that much to existing length of pipe.

Will add this to my list for dealer...but...will keep the valve on as suggested by others!