Custer South Dakota

jpjulian

Beaver Creek Campground in Custer, SD is a nice place. God's country. Quiet, clean, well maintained, good people running the place. They even have a water slide for the kids. About 10 minutes from Crazy Horse Monument and another 15-20 minutes to Rushmore. Just don't eat at "The Bank" Steak and Rib restaraunt. They had the audacity to serve sliced hot dog buns as dinner rolls!! Great street appeal but a very poorly managed restaraunt.

rjr6150

Hi guys were just up the road in Hill City at the Rafter J Bar. And yes would agree the Black Hill area is one nice place to hang out. If you looking for a really great meal head on up to the Alpine Inn in Hill City. And if your in the area stop by were in the Island area;)

Taz Devil

Post Some Pics

Hey guys, we used to live out there before moving to Fl. How does Crazy Horse look? Enjoy the area and have fun and maybe post some pics.

Kevin

Nabo

Southeast Region Director-Retired
TazDevil - we were in the Black Hills, SD in May going back to Crazy Horse. It's been 9 years since we were there and surprisingly enough you can see some progress. Still impressive!!! We also stayed at Rafter J Bar Ranch, ate at Alpine Inn (soso) and then headed over to Cody and yellowstone, WY. Hopefully I have attached a picture for you but I'm not good at this stuff. If it don't come thru - email me at natbyrd@hotmail.com and I'll send you them the regular way.
Byrd

DSCN0763.jpg

creeper

Crazy Horse is just crazy. Sadly we will never see the finished product. 60 years so far and no where near completion. Sadly it seems to be turning into just a money maker for the family...

My Uncle paid to visit in the 60's and asked me if it was finished when we visited... He laughed when i told him it was no where near completed and probably won't be in the next 60 years.

The Black Hills is a beautiful area.

Taz Devil

The reason it is taking so long to construct, it is all private donations. They don't want any money from the feds. At least that is what we were told while there. Certain times during the year they do a walk up to the face and back. Kinda like a volksmarch in Germany and they give out little medals for completing the walk.

TXBobcat

Fulltime
We were at Crazy Horse the end of last month. We stayed at Custers Gulch RV Campground just outside of Custer SD. I looked at a number of other campgrounds and feel that it was the best one of the bunch.

Another thing. Has anyone read the news about the storm around Sturgis and the area.. Baseball size hail. Messed up some cars, bikes and RV's. We left just in time... Do a google search on Hail storm sturgis 2009

Here is a couple of pictures of Crazy Horse...

DSC_2422.jpg

DSC_2456.jpg

BC

Taz Devil

That seems to happen every year during the rally. When I was stationed there a big hail strom hit and really did a number on the a/c unit and the sides of my TT. When winter time came most of the dents and dings popped out but the a/c needed replacing. Sturgis is a nice place to visit but everything goes up in price during that time frame. Lots of bikes.

jmgratz

Original Owners Club Member
We bought 4 T-Shirts for $25.00 in Sturgis last year two weeks before the Rally. The lady who sold them to us told us they would be $50. apiece during the Rally. Sure rip those folks attending the Rally off.

TNT

We were there from July 18 to July 26 (8 days before the start of the rally) One of our best trips ever. Rode the bike 6 out of 8 days for 150-200 miles a day. Stayed at Elkhorn Ridge RV Park and it was beautiful. Every amenity imaginable! Lots for families to do. Went into Sturgis twice and ate at the Knuckle. Best steak tips we have ever had! Hope to go back in 2 years.

Jewels55

Custer's Gluch RV Park

We went to Custer the middle of September. We wanted to see all the sights and ride our bike without all the traffic that happens during the Custer and Sturgis rallies. We rode to Mt. Rushmore, Crazy Horse, Custer State Park, Sturgis, Deadwood, and Hot Springs and we weren't disappointed! It rained a couple of days but beautiful weather most of the time. We stayed at Custer's Gluch RV Park. We had a 90' pull-through right next to the laundry and showers. It was awesome! Its surrounded by the Custer National Forrest on three sides. Amazing wild life! Stars in the night sky that went on forever! That was the beginning major stop for us on a 4,000 mile trip from Corpus Christi, Texas through South Dakota, Wyoming, Montana, Utah and ending up at our new home in Tucson, Arizona. Of all the places we stayed along the way, Custer's Gluch RV Park was the best! The only negative was that we didn't have any cell phone service. Everyone else in the park did......but we have AT&T (until our contract runs out), and AT&T sucks when you travel!