service contract from Dometic

Bobby A

just got in the mail a service contract offer from Dometic, just want to get the general consensis on this. As a rule, I generally don't buy service contracts, but was wondering what everyone thinks of this.
Refrigerator 1year $73, 3 year $189
Air Conditioner 1year $49, and a 3 year for $130.
Again, I normally don't take advantage of these offers, but it has me thinking now because we are full time in our rig. Does anyone know of a better deal than this ?? Thanks in advance for your comments.
Bobby A

CrazyScotsman

I got the extended warranty on everything on trailer for 7 years, so in my case adding in an extra $171 ( 2 a/c's 1 fridge ) a year would be waste of money.
Hope the 3580 is working out for you and the DW Bobby, we still love ours, even more since fridge now works properly, thanks to the great work of Jim F and his great crew at the rally.

Cheers Ken

Ray LeTourneau

Senior Member - Past Moderator
just got in the mail a service contract offer from Dometic, just want to get the general consensis on this. As a rule, I generally don't buy service contracts, but was wondering what everyone thinks of this.
Refrigerator 1year $73, 3 year $189
Air Conditioner 1year $49, and a 3 year for $130.
Again, I normally don't take advantage of these offers, but it has me thinking now because we are full time in our rig. Does anyone know of a better deal than this ?? Thanks in advance for your comments.
Bobby A
Bobby, I recently registered our new bedroom a/c and got the same offer. I'm seriously considering the 3 year. It would then be a full 6 yrs. parts & labor. Might just be worth it for $130.

Pulltab

Not sure about their AC warranty but can tell you that you best read their contract closely. Apparently they have some wording that saves them a lot of repairs at their cost and I would bet your fridge is probably already voided the warranty. You must have your fridge inspected EVERY year to keep warranty in force, and I believe it says BY the in service date. I have only read where people were refused warranty work on this stipulation and have not experienced it myself so take it for what it is worth but be cautious, you could possibly throw your money away for something that is already out of warranty by their terms. Just a friendly FYI

Pulltab

This warranty requires the Original Purchaser to provide preventative maintenance on a yearly basis, starting at the anni-
versary of his date of purchase. The Original Purchaser must keep a record of the preventative maintenance to keep the warranty
in effect. Failure of the Original Purchaser in providing this annual maintenance may void the warranty. The preventative maintenance
must be performed at a Dometic Authorized Service Center/Dealer. The preventative maintenance required is an inspection,
cleaning and full diagnostics performed on the entire electronic system, burner assembly, wiring and cooling unit. A copy of the receipt
covering the maintenance checks must accompany the warranty claim during the second and third year of ownership. The cost of this
preventative maintenance is the Original Purchaser’s responsibility and should take about one hour

Bobby A

Thanks for the fast response you'all, seems we have a mixed bag of responses. Now I'am really confused !!(lol) I value each and everyone's opinion, so please keep um coming, I have a little time left before I make the decision.
Thanks again,
Bobby A

Ray LeTourneau

Senior Member - Past Moderator
We had a few situations with our reefer and all were covered under Dometics warranty. I never once had an annual inspection performed but that's just us. Year 1 a resistor was added by Holmes on Wheels to increase cooling. Year 2, a door replaced due to a seal malfunctioning. Year 3, Cooling unit replaced but I had to pay labor of 3.5 hours. We are having a current issue with frost in the lower section. The door seal is good but we have to defrost about every 3 weeks. The rear fins get pack FULL of frost. All of these "services" may be considered an inspection of sorts but I can't say for sure. My 3 years is almost up on the reefer and if anything serious/expensive goes wrong, I may just replace it with a residential model that will fit perfectly into the hole. The down side, no LP operation. I'm still seriously considering it for our recent a/c purchase.