Adjusting Brakes

Dusty

Has anyone had to adjust the brackes on their trailer. If so, anyone got any good advice, my trailer just doesnt seem to stop well, impossible to lock up the wheels even with the brake-away activated
Dusty

Dusty

brakes

Looking around in another forum, I found a link to a good source of repair information. www.rvrepairmanual.com

Dusty

slaytop

There should be a rubber plug near the bottom of the plate behind the brakes. Jack up the axle until the tire is off the pavement and rotates freely. Take out the plug and insert a brake adjusting tool or small pry lever. There is a notched wheel in the assembly that will turn up and down to tighten or loosen the brakes. Tighten the brakes until the tire is difficult to rotate and then back it off until you can rotate it freely with a light contact of the pads. Try to get the same adjustment on each wheel so they brake evenly.

It's not a difficult job but sometimes the adjusting wheel is awkward to manuever. Make sure you replace the plugs.

I hope this helps you do the adjustment.

HappyKayakers

slaytop said:
There should be a rubber plug near the bottom of the plate behind the brakes. Jack up the axle until the tire is off the pavement and rotates freely. Take out the plug and insert a brake adjusting tool or small pry lever. There is a notched wheel in the assembly that will turn up and down to tighten or loosen the brakes. Tighten the brakes until the tire is difficult to rotate and then back it off until you can rotate it freely with a light contact of the pads. Try to get the same adjustment on each wheel so they brake evenly.

It's not a difficult job but sometimes the adjusting wheel is awkward to manuever. Make sure you replace the plugs.

I hope this helps you do the adjustment.

I thought jacking suspension components directly was a no-no, either jack under the frame or drive the other wheel up onto levelers.

slaytop

Happy
I agree that jacking directly on the axle tube is not wise. All we want in this task is to lift a tire off the pavement without having to hitch up and move the trailer. For this purpose I put a block of wood on a jack and lift the axle under the spring clamps. The stress that places on the trailer is insignificant and the spring/axle clamps are strong enough to protect the axle tube. Be careful not to pinch any brake wires.

If my intention is to get both tires off the pavement for serious brake and bearing work, then I will lift directly on the frame and secure it with jack stands or blocks of wood.