Front landing legs not working

I'm sitting in the middle of the Grand Tetons with my relativley new Sundance 5th wheel and for some reason my front landing gear is not working. It has been working all week on my way here. Is there an inline fuse somewhere; a fuse; anything I can look at? I was able to lower them manually with the crank but have a lot of stops to make over the next week and could use some help. I have a couple of other things not working but this is the most troublesome for a 6 month old camper.
HELP!! Thanks!
Marci

Ray LeTourneau

Senior Member - Past Moderator
Marci, It sure sounds like a fuse or a 12volt circuit breaker of some type. When you push the button for the jacks, do you hear any noise, motor turning? If not there must be a fuse. Look for the wires from the motor and trace them. I'm sure someone in the know with a Sundance or the factory will reply soon.

fuse

there is a fuse from the battery to the motor 30amp. becareful not to raise the jacks up to high it will blow the fuse and or break the pins 400$ to replace and heartland will not cover under warrenty.:(

D

Dave Willis

I have sent this info to our service dept. I'm sure they will be getting in touch with you soon.

Thanks,

I went out and looked at the wiring and there does appear to be a 30 amp fuse sitting in a little cover. The wire appears to be the same color as that coming out of the motor. I will remove that and see if it blown. There is no noise or anything coming from the motor so I'm hoping that maybe this will fix it. Thanks so much for your input. Happen to know why a fridge only works off of gas and not electric?? :(

Ray LeTourneau

I went out and looked at the wiring and there does appear to be a 30 amp fuse sitting in a little cover. The wire appears to be the same color as that coming out of the motor. I will remove that and see if it blown. There is no noise or anything coming from the motor so I'm hoping that maybe this will fix it. Thanks so much for your input. Happen to know why a fridge only works off of gas and not electric?? :(
The first thing that comes to mind is the GFI outlet. The outlet that the fridge is plugged into is in the back behind the wall vent for the fridge. You should have a GFI outlet possibly on the bathroom vanity base. Check the GFI to see if it's popped. This GFI outlet has several other outlets in line and protected by it. Otherwise check the breaker panel. Sadly the cause for ther GFI popping could be a variety of things. Maybe related to the ground of the wiring in the campground pedestal.

Ray...when i checked the back of the fridge...the plug isn't plugged into the outlet! Does that sound right? It is just pushed off to the other side. Could it be hard wired?

Bob&Patty

Founders of SoCal Chapter
Marci, if you have to go and buy a fuse, get a 30 amp circuit breaker instead. Take the fuse with you so you get the right size breaker. If they have a 40amp breaker get one of those and install it. The circuit breaker will reset if there is a problem and continue to work where as a fuse will blow again. As was said before, make sure you are not running the landing gear up too high. They never need to be ran all the way up. Bob:D

Success! I was successfully able to locate the fuse for the landing gear, change it and now it works likes a charm. I marked the legs at a point I felt was a safe retracting point so that i don't run into the issues described in several threads. I took the back off the fridge after reading an earlier post and it was unplugged! Thanks everyone!

Pulltab

Odd, has it not worked for a long time? I am assuming it was left unplugged at the factory?

jmgratz

Original Owners Club Member
Ray...when i checked the back of the fridge...the plug isn't plugged into the outlet! Does that sound right? It is just pushed off to the other side. Could it be hard wired?

The fridge must be plugged into the outlet for it to work on AC. Plug it in and it should work. Make sure it is set to AUTO and it should work on AC when you have shore power and switch to propane when you do not.

Bob&Patty

Marci, your welcome. Thats what this forum is for, helping HL owners. BTW, I think that I would still get a circuit breaker for the landing gear when you have time. Its cheap insurance for the next time. Bob:D

jbhd

Well on my maiden voyage I to blew the fuse. I read about this issue a week before I picked up the 3200RE. So here I am extending the legs to get it off the hitch. The motor started to labor a bit and I only needed a little more. Well I got a little bit more and at the same time the landing gear stopped. :eek:

So I knew exactly what the problem was but did not know where that sticking 30AMPER:confused: was. Well after fixing other minor issues such as 2 ceiling fan blades coming loose I got on the forums and once doing so found the 30AMPER just where you all said it would be. Bingo.:D.. I now have power to my landing gear again.

Theses forums are excellent and very helpful.

John
Boy

Bob&Patty

John, do you put anything under the front landing gear when running it down to unhook?? I use 2x8's about 12" long. Other wise you have to run the landing legs out as far as they will go. The lumber also helps the feet from sinking into soft dirt. If you dont already, you should have some 2x8's cut in short 10" pieces for the rear stabilizers. I carry about 8 pieces of that size, cause you never know when you might need them. My 3cts worth. Bob:D

Bobby A

John, do you put anything under the front landing gear when running it down to unhook?? I use 2x8's about 12" long. Other wise you have to run the landing legs out as far as they will go. The lumber also helps the feet from sinking into soft dirt. If you dont already, you should have some 2x8's cut in short 10" pieces for the rear stabilizers. I carry about 8 pieces of that size, cause you never know when you might need them. My 3cts worth. Bob:D

Another reason to put wood under your landing gear is, it seems the more you build it up the lower the trailer is to the ground and as a result you have more stability when walking in the coach. Thats my finding anyway.

jbhd

I use those yellow / orange RV leveling blocks. I had the SNAP Jack pins at hole 5 and I used 4 of the RV leveling blocks. I think it was the
lay-of-the-Land. So for now :rolleyes:on I'll use 6 of the RV leveling blocks and have the Snap Jack pins at hole 6.

John
Boy

jbhd

Just an update on the landing gear:
So I replaced the PITA fuse with a 30 AMP circuit breaker (type 1) auto reset. I blew the fuse again as I guess:confused: I retracted it to far. I stopped when I heard it clicked once. So, I'll not retract the LG's fully anymore. But if I do no more fuse replacement needed.

So Heartland, is there a fix to this issue? It seems the motor is underpowered. Its not like I'm going way beyond the retraction / extension point. I now use 2 leveling blocks per side and extend the snap jacks to about hole 6/7. I've talked to other 5th wheel people at the camp site and they said that they don't have this issue with their LGs. Hmmmm:confused:
Thanks
John
Boy
PS the Sundance is an :pEXCELLENT5'er:D

D

Dave Willis

I have sent this over to our service department to see it they can help you. They should be getting back to you soon.

Thanks,

Ray LeTourneau

Just an update on the landing gear:
So I replaced the PITA fuse with a 30 AMP circuit breaker (type 1) auto reset. I blew the fuse again as I guess:confused: I retracted it to far. I stopped when I heard it clicked once. So, I'll not retract the LG's fully anymore. But if I do no more fuse replacement needed.

So Heartland, is there a fix to this issue? It seems the motor is underpowered. Its not like I'm going way beyond the retraction / extension point. I now use 2 leveling blocks per side and extend the snap jacks to about hole 6/7. I've talked to other 5th wheel people at the camp site and they said that they don't have this issue with their LGs. Hmmmm:confused:
John Boy, retracting the gears fully is like trying to push a load against an irresistible wall. It will stall the motor and overload the 12v system and pop the breaker. Try painting a red line or putting a piece of tape around the legs at a point just short of full retraction. When the legs get up to that point, STOP. It will end the problem. I don't think all manufacturers of these landing gears have the same system.