Height of Unit with 2nd Air

SilverRhino

We are considering a second air conditioner in the bedroom of our BC.

According to the HL web site....the BC - BH & LM .....are all 12' 11" high. I am under the assumption that this figure does not include the bedroom air. Wondering how much a 13.5 unit adds to the height of the coach??
Has anyone actually measured theirs??

Oldlthrneck

Just an Old Jarhead
It would really depend on what unit you put in. I have not measured mine yet, as I don't plan on moving for a bit. But will measure it the next time I get the BH hooked up to the truck. The Carrier web site, which is the one that I had installed, lists the height of the unit as 13". You best bet is to measure the height when you have your rig hooked up to the truck. That will give you the most accurate measurement of your actual height.
Fred

jgallego

I had a carrier low profile 13,500 btu installed on my BC and it appears that the 15,000 btu is still a bit higher than the new low profile a/c. I did not measure it I simply climbed the ladder and looked at it from that level.

Jaime Gallego

Last edited:

navyAZ1

I had a carrier low profile 13,500 btu installed on my BC and it appears that the 15,000 btu is still a bit higher than the new low profile. I did not measure it I simply climbed the ladder and looked at it from the level.

Jaime Gallego

We installed the same low profile unit in our BH it actually made the unit shorter, since we had a MaxAir cover over the vent and it is 9" tall and the new Carrier A/C is only 7" tall. Be sure and have them cut the new unit into the vent ducts it is a great way to keep the coach cool with little noise. We use both A/C's until the coach is cooled down then we use only the bedroom A/C so we don't have all that noise from the main A/C.

SilverRhino

We are considering a second air conditioner in the bedroom of our BC.

According to the HL web site....the BC - BH & LM .....are all 12' 11" high. I am under the assumption that this figure does not include the bedroom air. Wondering how much a 13.5 unit adds to the height of the coach??
Has anyone actually measured theirs??

Might not have been clear in the original post......what I am interested in is the overall height of the trailer....NOT the height of the ac unit.....I have a clearance issue with my covered storage! :confused:

SouthernNights

Past South Carolina Chapter Leader
The highest point on my trailer is the A/C in the L/R. I do not have a bedroom unit. The height is 12' 8" sitting on 265/75/16 tires which are 1" in diameter larger than stock.

TXBobcat

Fulltime
I am going to measure my BH while I am stopped here. I have the same questions as the OP. Another addition to that question is... How do you measure your trailer height. You need two persons of course.

I was thinking of taking an 8ft 2x4 attaching a tape measure to it and get on top of the trailer with a level. Extend the 2x4 over the side, get it close to level and have person no. 2 read the height to the ground.

I know if your hitched it would give you a better measurement but my trailer is level when connected, so if it is level at the site I should have a good measurement.

Any comments??
BC

SouthernNights

Past South Carolina Chapter Leader
As long as you sit level on your rig, sitting level in a site is the same thing.

I actually measured mine with a transit-but that was just messing around and is not necessary. Nothing wrong with your method Bob. All you want is distance from point A to point B.
How you get there does'nt matter-just an accurate end result.

branson4020

Icantre Member
You can easily do this with one person. Use 4 ft straight edge or 2x4. I just use my 4 ft level. Standing on a ladder, rest one end on the highest point of the trailer. Holding the straight edge level, measure to the drip edge of the roof. Now you can stand on the ground and measure from the drip edge to the ground. My BH measures 12'11", just like the specs say.

Also, if you do this from both sides and split the difference, it compensates for any out-of-level.

Last edited:

Oldlthrneck

Just an Old Jarhead
We installed the same low profile unit in our BH it actually made the unit shorter, since we had a MaxAir cover over the vent and it is 9" tall and the new Carrier A/C is only 7" tall. Be sure and have them cut the new unit into the vent ducts it is a great way to keep the coach cool with little noise. We use both A/C's until the coach is cooled down then we use only the bedroom A/C so we don't have all that noise from the main A/C.

Are you saying that you bought a ducted model for the bedroom and connected it to the duct that runs in there? I sure wish that I had thought of that. It never crossed my mind.

jmgratz

Original Owners Club Member
We have 2 ACs with the bedroom AC being a 13500 low profile Duo Therm. I measured our unit yesterday, hooked up, and it measured 12'11". So to be on the safe side I added 2 inches and I will go with 13'1". I have cleared a 13'6" underpass without issues. Hope this helps. Oh yeah, we do have the Mor-Ryde IS with adds about 2".

Nabo

Southeast Region Director-Retired
When we got our BC in 07, we had the dealer add a 13500 low profile duo therm to the bedroom. After getting it home and trying to figure out if it would fit in the shed, we measured the height as being 13' 7" tall, therefore we had to dig out the flooring over a foot (more like 2 feet) to get the new rig in :( . We did, regraveled and now the BC is happy under the shed when we are not traveling. Sorry i have tried to uploan a pix but keep getting an error.

Last edited:

hankie419

Hi,
The dealer installed a carier high profile AC unit in the bedroom of our 2008 BC 3300 RL. We have measured from the top of the front AC using a 2x4 & level to the ground & measure 13'7". We make it a policy to not try going under anything less than 14'.

azbound

I have the 2nd AC, I have never measured my BH, but I believe I read somewhere a couple years ago that the BH was 13'1" with the 2nd AC. Please don't hold me to this measurement.

timdebs

We are in the process of getting 2nd a/c now. I measured 2009 Pinehurst yesterday and the right now the tallest point is the a/c in the living room which is 12'11". Measuring from the fantastic fan over the bedroom I am 12'7" (the vent and cover are about 7" tall from the roof). The height dimensions on the Brisk Air Duo Therm 13500 (which is what we are planning on adding) is 12 3/4". If my measurements are correct then that is going to make my Pinehurst approximately 13'1" to 13'3" (giving a little). The height dimension on the low profile penquin is 9 1/2". That 3" could come into play somewhere down the road. My question is the low profile penquin as good as the duo therm?

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
timdebs, I have a Carrier Air V low profile 13500 btu up front. I think that they are all good. Personally I would go with a low profile model. I have seen a few rigs that didn't have a low pro and it looks like they have had no problems with height because they were still attached to the roof. :) I have gone under bridges marked 13'-6". So having a rig at 13'-3" would be a little shakey for me.

Peace
Dave

timdebs

I checked with Camping World this morning and unfortnately they do not know when they will be able to get the low profile units (something about the factory). They do have the regular size units available (Dometic Duo Therm Brisk Air 13500). We are going to be in the camper quite a bit in August and think we will really need the 2nd unit. Right now the plan is to take our camper to Camping World in Colfax, NC (200 miles from home) on Saturday and drop it off and pick it up later in the week or the following Saturday. I am hoping it will not be TOO HIGH. Does anyone know how high the Tunnel is in VA.?

jmgratz

Original Owners Club Member
Don't try the NY Thruway as they have many bridges below 14 feet. Stay in the left lane and you should be alright. We have cleared 13'6" in our Landmark without problem. A recent measurement put us at 13'1". I say 13'5" to be on the safe side.

phranc

The majority of the tractor trailers on the road are 13'6" .. There are thousands that travel the NY Twy every day without incident.. Unless you know of a specific bridge
on the TWY that is marked lower , changing lanes may be a hazard .