Blows my mind

CrazyScotsman

Well, the fridge has started acting up again. We left the fridge on electric ever since we got back home from the Rally, it stayed between 36-38 degrees on level 4. Yesterday we hooked up and drove 50 miles and by the time we got to CG the temp was showing 60. It was hot and humid, but it has been that way at the house to. Here it is 6.30am next day and temp has only dropped to 40 after me kicking it onto level 5 last night.
So my question is, why will it keep a descent temp while plugged in at home, but get hot enough to cook a hamburger in, when we hit the road. ?
Could it be because the slides are closed at home, and outside heat isn't penetrating the fridge as much? If thats the case what is the cure?. I thought that the guys at the Rally had this problem solved. Maybe the fridge itself is bad. :confused::confused::confused::confused:

Pulltab

Do you run the propane while traveling? Some people don't like to and that is everyones choice. If you choose not to, they sell a little air circulator to help keep it cool. If you do travel with the fridge off maybe next time try putting a frozen milk jug in the fridge to help cool. Just thinking out loud

CrazyScotsman

Pulltab, I do run the LP while travelling , and have a small fan inside fridge circulating the air. I even put a bag of ice in there last night to try help cool it down. I forgot about the ice untill a few minutes ago when I went into fridge to get the dogs chicken out. I was greeted with a waterfall when I opened the door :( duuuuhhhhhhh

katkens-DW

Founding Illinios Chapter Leader-retired
Hi Ken , Please say hi to Elaine for me our refrigerator works very good it stays at 36 no matter what the temp is out side sounds like you got a lemon to me we had the same problem with the one in our SunnyBrook we had they did fix it something had fallen down and covered the fan once we got that fixed it worked good. I hope you can get it fixed soon Kathy:)

Last edited:

wdk450

Well, the fridge has started acting up again. We left the fridge on electric ever since we got back home from the Rally, it stayed between 36-38 degrees on level 4. Yesterday we hooked up and drove 50 miles and by the time we got to CG the temp was showing 60. It was hot and humid, but it has been that way at the house to. Here it is 6.30am next day and temp has only dropped to 40 after me kicking it onto level 5 last night.
So my question is, why will it keep a descent temp while plugged in at home, but get hot enough to cook a hamburger in, when we hit the road. ?
Could it be because the slides are closed at home, and outside heat isn't penetrating the fridge as much? If thats the case what is the cure?. I thought that the guys at the Rally had this problem solved. Maybe the fridge itself is bad. :confused::confused::confused::confused:

Scotsman:
Your post brings up some interesting items. We have the double door refrig/freezer, and it has two undocumented rocker switches on the top door frame. I have figured out that the "climate" switch is to be turned on in high ambient heat conditions, and the other switch is to be turned on when the outside temps are near freezing. Do you have these?
Your comment about the slides being closed at home, yet the temperature rising while you drive seems to infer that you drive with your slides out. I'm sure that wasn't your intention.
This whole temperature rising in a few hours seems to contradict those who maintain that you can drive all day with your propane off (for safety reasons) and still have a cold fridge in the evening.
I guess I would ask if your door seals tightly and has no chance of coming open/ajar while going down the road.
As a test of your propane system, you might try running on propane at home and compare to electric operation. The propane system is tricky with flame size adjustment, mixture, etc. Did your propane come on at all? Was the "Check" light lit on the fridge at the end of your trip (Before you connected to shore power)?
Last of all, I have collected a bunch of the blue ice bags and hard packs over the years (Walmart has them), keep them in the garage freezer at home, use them in an ice chest when I transfer cold food to the (pre-cooled) refrig in the BH at the storage yard, and move them into the BH freezer, or the top shelf of the refrig (cool air sinks) if it is too warm. If we need to move them out of the freezer for more room, its back to the ice chest in the storage compartment.

I hope you get this problem solved. It might be worth the expense of consulting a professional RV appliance repair expert.

Sandi

I have a question.....our 2009 Big Horn has an 2007 Dometic refrigerator and the noise that comes from that refrigerator is driving me crazy, does anyone else have the same problem? It sounds like a fan is iced up but I am told it doesn't have a fan from the company we took it to. They said there is nothing wrong with it, but we have the same problem with it not cooling down, but the freezer is just fine. This last trip even the freezer didn't work well. Thank you

CrazyScotsman

Kathy... elaine say's " Hi ", back .

Bill, Yep I run down the road with the slides open, it helps slow me down going down the hill's on hwy 65 towards Branson. LOL
All joking aside, I only have the single door , and don't have the switch that I can see you were refering to. wife and I were sitting here talking about what was put in fridge, there was a bunch of warm soda etc. put in before we left, so that may have something to do with it. As of now temp is sitting at 41 outside temp probably in high 80's with high humidity.
The fridge was flashing that it was on LP before I hooked up to electric here at the CG.
Anyhoo we shall keep a close eye on it today, and see what it does.

Bobby A

HI Ken, what did they do at the Rally to fix it ?? and what did they say was wrong ?? Since we have the same coach and pretty close to build dates I would like to know what they did. Also, since I posted last week on my fridg coals freezing up, I figured I would give you an update. After doing a defrost and cleaning out the fridg, I turned the fridg on 5 for several hours to get it cool, than I turned it on 3 and it seems to maintain a 40 degree reading on the digital readout on the top of the freezer. I hope nothing is wrong with your fridg.

CrazyScotsman

Bobby, Thay had to put more insulation above the fridge and also a baffle so it forces the air away from the back of fridge when fan kicks on.
The fridge has sat at around 41 all day today on level 5, outside temp got into the mid 90's today, and the humidity was out of this world. Thought I was in the Rain Forest.
So the problem was probably warm item's getting put into the fridge. Well, I hope thats what the problem was.