Waxing

4ever

What is the scoop on waxing the decals on our fiver. Have a new 2010 3410RE. Have heard that you should not wax decals. What do you all say?

Thanks

Pulltab

Hmmmm, I don't wax very often but when I do I also wax the decals. I had never heard such a rumor. Will be interesting to see the opinions.

It took me 2 days to wax my Sundance 2998RB. Also, I waxed the decals. It would take to much time to not wax the decals. I used Maguire Marine wax with a Porter Cable orbitor. It still took me 9 hours. Next time I'm going to find scafolding. Good Luck

SilverRhino

I know it's not wax......but has anyone tried 303 Protectant?? It is supposed to work great on protecting fiberglass as well as vinyl (Decals) with great UV protection. I have used it on bed covers in the past and on vinyl awning with great results.

lhetsler

Waxing decals

I have always waxed the decals on my units. I have never had a problem. If you use an orbital buffer, go easy so as not to heat up the decal glue and cause them to loosen. I like to do the decals by hand. Good luck, it is quite a job.

Tom of Ypsi

According to the Heartland factory you are not suppose to wax the decals. If you have gel coat do not use a Carnuba wax it causes yellowing of the gel coat.

Use 303 on Decals

My understanding is that any "stuff" containing petroleum distillates should not be used on decals. I use 303 Aerospace Protectorant, a product developed by Boeing , and it will protect your decals from UV rays.

Tom of Ypsi

I am not sure who said it, want to say Jim Fenner and/or Steve Kennel, when I was there for some work. I was pointing out the shrinkage of some of my decals and this was brought up. Like I said not sure who.

SilverRhino

303 is a great product......no petroleum to cause problems.....just finished coating the BC.....looks great! The 303 will make it much easier to remove dust and dirt as time goes on. Great on your awnings too.....if vinyl!!

SouthernNights

Past South Carolina Chapter Leader
Here is a link I just googled up that was interesting on the subject.
http://www.carwash.com/article.asp?IndexID=6636659

That is a really good article. Thanks for posting it.

The last section is describing a product that I use called Poli-glo. I am sure there are other brands out there.

The first time I used it on a boat it was very labor intensive. But it lasted for over a year-and no waxing once this product is on.

I have it on my BC. The cleaner used with this product is called POli-prep. Spray it on the black streaks and the streak just disappers. Once the Poli-glo is on, I still got black streaks but they wash off with a hose. Same with bugs on the front cap.