Fifth Wheel Hook-Up Aid

SilverRhino

After installing my over the rail toolbox, I found that I could no longer see the hitch plate when backing up to the trailer. Wanting my 30+ year marriage to last, I knew that had to be a better way than having my wife guide me.

I picked up a round magnet at the local home store, attached a "L" bracket to it, then added a short piece of aluminum angle. To the opposite end of the angle, I attached an old bag phone antennae.

Painted in contrasting colors, now I can just look in my rear view mirror and perfectly align the hitch plate to the king pin, which makes my wife very happy ;)

( I hope the photos come out....first time trying to attach pics )

Attachments

• P7070069.JPG
    P7070069.JPG
    680.6 KB · Views: 271
  • P7070073.JPG
    P7070073.JPG
    674.2 KB · Views: 235

talley

Have been interested in some sort of backing aid for some time. Your version fits the bill nicely!!! I placed a reflector on the front edge of the pin box for contrast, but could not easly see the plate. Just goes to show... if you wait long enough someone will solve your problem :D:D

Thanks, Jerry

wdk450

My Hitching Solution - Tape Lines

Group:
I also had the hitching-aiming challenge even before I added my custom painted toolbox. I used bright yellow vinyl tape to put a center stripe on the trailer above the hitch pinbox and used white vinyl tape to extend this line over the center of the pinbox. I then cut orange vinyl tape lengthwise into a 1/8 inch wide strip about a foot long. I put this thin strip down the center of my truck rear window, using a measuring tape.
Now when I back to the trailer, I simply use my mirror and line up the truck line with the trailer lines. Some people might want to add a thin tape line on the truck cab mirror in the right spot aligned with the trailer & window lines as seen when hitched up.
This system works every time for me.

grizzlygiant

Group:
I also had the hitching-aiming challenge even before I added my custom painted toolbox. I used bright yellow vinyl tape to put a center stripe on the trailer above the hitch pinbox and used white vinyl tape to extend this line over the center of the pinbox. I then cut orange vinyl tape lengthwise into a 1/8 inch wide strip about a foot long. I put this thin strip down the center of my truck rear window, using a measuring tape.
Now when I back to the trailer, I simply use my mirror and line up the truck line with the trailer lines. Some people might want to add a thin tape line on the truck cab mirror in the right spot aligned with the trailer & window lines as seen when hitched up.
This system works every time for me.
I use this system too. I can hit the pin dead center every time.

fvanassen

Fiver hitch aid

I have a Fold a Cover on my Ford and it makes seeing the hitch difficult at best. I solved it by putting a 6 inch long strip of Yellow tape in the middle of the cover. Then I installed 6 inch strip on the fifth wheel hitch on my fiver. Now all I do is align the two strips in my rear view mirror and back right up to the hitch. It stays in perfect alignment. After a couple of times practicing I knew where to stop and then adjust the height. One more backup to latch and done. Best thing about the solution is that it's really cheap and easy. The tape fades after a while (a few years) but it's easy to replace. Good luck.

Boca_Shuffles

Plenty of great ideas here for me to try.

My current method is to stick a 2 ft long 1 1/2" PVC pipe into the receiver hitch and back up until the pin gets near the pipe. I then remove the pipe, lower the pin to the proper height and complete the hook up.

The only problem is that my arms are too short to reach across a GMC dually without having to climb on the tires. The solutions offered here are alot easier.

SilverRhino

I use a short piece of fine decorative chain to make a gauge to use when hooking up to the trailer. Hated getting in and out of truck, little lower, no little higher.

All I did was determine the height of the trailer so that the fifth wheel would accept the king pin.....then I attached a 2" piece of 3/4" dowel to one end of the chain ( for weight )....on the other end I attached a small snap ring clasp. Hook the hasp in a convenient place under the bedroom and make the chain just long enough for the dowel to touch the ground ( should stand straight up ). From then on...to hook up....attach your chain to your anchor point.....lower until the dowel touches the ground.....hook it up without having to get in and out of truck!

I also found that screwing a lag screw into the bottom of the dowel helped to keep the chain from swinging in the breeze. You set the length once......then no matter what type of grade you are on......you can set the height and it's correct the first time...no trial and error.

Used this system for 10 years on our old fiver and it worked every time. Need to determine where to install the hook or eye on the new BC.....will probably do this the next trip out.

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
Clever ideas all around :D. I don't let the wife guide me, I get the truck close and then guide her. Using a pair of free Cobra radios, I can direct her easily. We use them (me driving) to back up the rig, too. But by myself, it's in and out, in and out. With a roll-up bed cover, I can't see the hitch, but I have a pretty good idea of where center is. I put one of my old AFRES unit stickers on the nose, centered over the king pin, for reference.

wdk450

Highth Challenged

Plenty of great ideas here for me to try.

My current method is to stick a 2 ft long 1 1/2" PVC pipe into the receiver hitch and back up until the pin gets near the pipe. I then remove the pipe, lower the pin to the proper height and complete the hook up.

The only problem is that my arms are too short to reach across a GMC dually without having to climb on the tires. The solutions offered here are alot easier.

Boca:
I am also "highth challenged" and can't get to my hitch latch without "people extender". I initially used the foldup ladder I bought at Lowes, configured as a short stepladder, but that is heavy and must be kept in the trailer storage. I tried one of the fold flat stepstools you can get at RV supply places, but that was too short. Finally, I got a 2nd fold flat stepstool and a piece of 3/8 inch plywood a little larger than the foot outline of the stepstool. I put 4 drywall screws into one side of the plywood matching up with the 4 inside corners of one of the stepstools, with about 1/2 inch of the screw left protruding from the board. This makes a tight holder for the base of one stool. On the other side of the board I drill in 8 drywall screws protruding in a similar manner around the 4 corners (2 screws at each corner) of the TOP of one of the stepstools. The screw sides/heads hold the 2 stepstools in place, but the board snaps on/off the stools easily. This sounds rickety, but is very solid, along with the fact I test the assembly with one leg before getting up on it.
I like the fact that this setup is so lightweight, and stores easily in my truck tool box between the cab and the hitch. The flat folding stools are about $12 each.

truknutt

Committed Member
Have you guys considered a tire step similar to this one from Cabela's? I have a different version I got from Harbor Freight that we used on last TV/fiver. When in camp I hung it on the fivers tire and used it as a seat/shelf next to the entry door.

So as not to discriminate against you "Big Truck" owners like Seamo with "Big Mama", they make one for your needs, too. LINK HERE :D

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
I'm not exactly vertically challenged, but the tailgate on my GMC is a bit high. So I keep a two step folding ladder bungeed to the rear cargo hook in the bed. Set it next to the gate and getting up and down (like when loading) is no longer a "stand in the door and jump" exercise. It's easy to get at with the trailer on the hitch, so I don't have to climb on the tires.

The one time I was in a hurry getting into the bed and didn't use the ladder, I darn near broke my shin bone when I miscalculated my move. Pain and agony :eek: