PAC brake on diesel versus brake controller

None Hey everyone, We're back with another question.

We just traded up on our tow vehicle - went from a 2008 1500 Dodge Big Horn Ram (4.7L V-8) to a 2009 2500 Dodge Ram (Heavy Duty) Quad Cab with a 6.7L Cummins Diesel pulling the load. We hauling a 2010 North Trail (32RED) - loaded weight is 6700 lbs.

The diesel should not even notice it's back there.

We're heading out west this fall (actually, at the end of August) and I'm wondering about stopping this monster.

The truck has an engine brake (PAC Brake) installed, with a manual over-ride for up or downshifting while climbing hills as well as heavy-duty power disk brakes.

I'm wondering if I'm going to need an after-market brake controller as well. We plan on spending time in the high country (around the "14'ers") in the Rockies as well as the Tetons and Yellowstone. So I'll be pulling up a lot of hills (hence, the diesel). But it's coming down I'm concerned about.

Any suggestions?
Thanks.

Pulltab

You should always use an electric brake. It will help control the trailer in stopping and save wear and tear on your truck brakes. As for coming down hills the pac brake will do you just fine, it should be programed in with the transmission, so just tap your brakes on the way down hill and let it take over. You have the perfect setup!

branson4020

Icantre Member
Like Pulltab says, you gotta have working trailer brakes. In a panic stop you dont want the trailer steering the truck. You're gonna love that truck for towing. With the tranny in Tow-Haul mode and the exhaust brake turned on I can hold my 13,000 lb Bighorn at any speed I want on a 6% downgrade without touching the brakes.

jnbhobe

As Tab says, don't even think of pulling with out trailer brakes !!! Have you ever seen a trailer go into a swaying situation ? Usually happens on a downhill, there is only one way out, manually applying the trailer brakes to pull the rig straight. And if that don't work steer straight and open the throttle WIDE OPEN. If that don't work hangon and start PRAYING !!. JON :eek: :eek: :eek:
PS. I never Had to pray, But I did have to clean my pants.!!!!!!!!!!!:(:(:(

Ray LeTourneau

Senior Member - Past Moderator
Get a controller!!! I'm pretty sure every state in the Country has laws requiring them for trailers over a certain size and yours will certainly fall into that category. Not to mention the lives of you and your family and anyone else for that matter. Nuff Said!

pmmjarrett

Not just tired..... RETIRED!!!
:eek: Pac brake or not you HAVE to have trailer brakes, it's not an option.

Be pretty dumb to risk life and limb or tear up $70,000 worth of truck and trailer because you didn't install even a cheap $50 low end brake controller.