Lippert replacement springs OK?

branson4020

Icantre Member
It looks like I have joined the spring chicken crowd. I don't like the looks of my leaf springs and I'm afraid to trust them for another trip. Especially after what just happened to Larry & Deb. We're still under warranty and when I called Heartland, they told me to deal directly with Lippert. Before I do that, I'm wondering if anybody out there has some miles on their replacement Lippert springs. Are they holding up OK? Are they just the same parts as the ones that failed? Should I just write this off and replace the crappy Chinese 4-leaf springs with a little heavier-duty and better quality springs?

Pulltab

Honestly, you are going to get the same springs. They just replaced ours while they were installing the Centerpoint system. I saw the springs when they brought them in. Stamped CHINA. Go to your local spring and axle shop and buy some good ones. Heck I think even the ones from Etrailer.com are USA made. They are not that expensive. You might have $150 in a full set for dual axles. http://www.etrailer.com/c-dels.htm

SilverRhino

I am fairly new to the forum and the Heartland Family. We have recently purchased a BC3250ts.......I have found the forum to be very informative and enjoyable...but....it has also scared me!!!

Having read a # of posts concerning the axles and springs on HL products....is my trailer a ticking time bomb? If the Lippert products have been such a problem why hasn't HL done something about it?? Have there been any law suits due to property damage or personal injury?

I am growing more and more concerned about risking my safety as well as that of others on the road. After spending a considerable amount of money....it does not seem right that I have to take a new product in to have key parts replaced before it is ever really used

Pulltab

I think what you are seeing is the people who have had problems, granted it seems like a lot but considering the number of people who have heartlands it is a minute amount. So unless you have an issue you most likely are not going to mention the springs on your rv. Rest assured if you do they will take care of it. It is kind of a lopsided deal like the news, you never hear the good stuff only the bad. :)

What it teaches you is to be aware of everything on your rv to look out for possible issues. If suddenly you think your rv is sitting crooked you have an idea of where to look. I don't think we really want to have a forum where no one tells anyone else about problems to warn you. The good side to all this is that Heartland learns at the same time and tries to correct the issues on upcoming models, for you if you have a problem, your warranty will assist you.

I can guarantee you that if you owned a previous make of rv that Heartland will outperform them in service every day of the week. There is truly not a better company to have on your side. While the product may not be perfect, they strive to make it that way. I am a lifer with this company! :D

Oldlthrneck

Just an Old Jarhead
Well said, Pulltab. Elizabeth and I are seriously looking at a Cyclone. The other day I was speaking to the Heartland dealer here in SE Houston. They recently picked up the Heartland line, so their lot inventory is limited, at best. Since he didn't have the model we wanted he tried to turn me to an SOB. I stopped him and told him not to waste his breath. Elizabeth and I would never consider owning anything but a Heartland. Sept 22nd will be two years we have lived fulltime in our Big Horn. We have had a few minor problems (other than the china bombs) but nothing compared to the multiple horror stories that we hear from owners of other brands. The biggest difference, that I hear all the time, is that the factory will have nothing to do with the individual owners, they will only deal with their dealers, and we all know what a hit or miss deal that is. Resolutions of problems do not happen overnight, but every time I have seen problems cropping up on the threads on this board, Heartland steps in and not only corrects the issues, but will evaluate how to keep these issues from occurring on future units.
Rhino, I know how you feel. When I first bought my rig and started reading these boards, every time I read about a serious issue, I would run right out and check that on mine. Not saying that is a bad thing, it doesn't hurt to keep a weather eye on things, but every day that I own this rig, my confidence in Heartland and their product increases. Enjoy you rig. I know Elizabeth and I sure enjoy ours.
Fred

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
SilverRhino, I am not concerned about risking my safety as well as others on the road. I have had my springs replaced. I noticed them sagging durring one of my routine inspections. They were replaced. I do know that some go bad, on Heartland and on SOB's. But I don't think that they just explode. That is why I regularly inspect tires, lights, springs, brakes, lug nut torque and a slew of other things. You do to......right?

Peace
Dave

boatdoc

We also think are 09' 3670 is the cat's meow and have NEVER spoke a bad word about Heartland's product BUT untill JimB whispered something to somebody, my phone calls were returned and I was turned over to Lippert, yuk. They sent me new springs, voided the rest of my 3 or 4 months warranty on the springs and said your on your own bro. Yes the springs are the same ones, CHINA painted on them no matter what anyone tells you. It was said on a recent but closed thread that they were from Canada but I can read and spell and you don't spell Canada, CHINA. Less then 200 miles after the install, allmost no arc. Now granted they're not broke but they sure don't look good. Next ones are going to be a spring shop special and I'll know what origin they'll be. Remember, I am NOT bashing Heartland but they could use a more reliable undercarrige company to deal with. They MUST be under some kind of contract with Lippert and can't get out of it. In my mind, they KNOW there is a problem but have to use Lippert for some reason. Flame suit on all you na-sayers out there but I like to take care of problems at my shop before I'm in the middle of no-where and untill your rig is laying on the side of the road with it's guts trailing 200 yards behind it, you'll never know how it feels. We just passed a 5th wheel yesterday going the other way and the death trail was all over the their side of the road and thank goodness yelp had already arrived. All the wife and I saw was an axel that didn't look like it should be where it was and I might add, it was not a Heartland product. Please everybody get out there, get under your rig and look at those springs and shackles. Compare them with your truck, see a diif??? Of my soap box now.

dieselengineer

Charter Member
Air ride!

Working on an air ride setup for my Bighorn. I have the details almost engineered. Then it is to the fab shop to build and machine the parts.

branson4020

Icantre Member
SilverRhino, I am not concerned about risking my safety as well as others on the road. I have had my springs replaced. I noticed them sagging durring one of my routine inspections. They were replaced. I do know that some go bad, on Heartland and on SOB's. But I don't think that they just explode. That is why I regularly inspect tires, lights, springs, brakes, lug nut torque and a slew of other things. You do to......right?

Peace
Dave
This is good advice. I've been checking the condition of my springs at the end of every day of travel since I first noticed one sagging. They're gradually getting worse. Now I've decided its time to take care of the problem. No hand-wringing required.

So, Dave, did you get those springs replaced with Lippert springs, and if so, have they held up OK?

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
branson4020, yes I did get them replaced by Lippert. I have 6,000 lb. axles, but I had them replace the springs with the 7,000 lb. six leaf springs. My GVWR did not change, because I still have the 6,000 lb. axles. That was one year ago and so far they look good. I was just crawling around under there this afternoon, getting ready to repack the bearings tomorrow.

Peace
Dave

Pulltab

Gary, I am with you, the springs I saw for my rig most definitely said China. I have sent an email to Etrailer.com asking them about their warranty and most importantly the manufacturer of their springs. If USA springs I will just buy a set from them eventually.

SilverRhino

I think what you are seeing is the people who have had problems, granted it seems like a lot but considering the number of people who have heartlands it is a minute amount. So unless you have an issue you most likely are not going to mention the springs on your rv. Rest assured if you do they will take care of it. It is kind of a lopsided deal like the news, you never hear the good stuff only the bad. :)

What it teaches you is to be aware of everything on your rv to look out for possible issues. If suddenly you think your rv is sitting crooked you have an idea of where to look. I don't think we really want to have a forum where no one tells anyone else about problems to warn you. The good side to all this is that Heartland learns at the same time and tries to correct the issues on upcoming models, for you if you have a problem, your warranty will assist you.

I can guarantee you that if you owned a previous make of rv that Heartland will outperform them in service every day of the week. There is truly not a better company to have on your side. While the product may not be perfect, they strive to make it that way. I am a lifer with this company! :D

I fully agree with everything you said.....I too want to deal in reality not just the fluff, but also the truth even if it might be bad.

Thanks for getting my head back in the game....I too have a fairly lengthy check list that I go over, pre, during & post travel. What this forum has done for me is re-affirm just how important preventative maintenance is.

As usual.....the HL "family" is there if we start to falter....Thanks everyone!

Pulltab

Good to her Rhino, unfortunately a lot of people buy an rv and don't realize it is not a trouble free endeavor. Rv's are actually a constant work in progress. Check and recheck is a must. Welcome to the family!
thumbup.gif

jayc

Texas-South Chapter Leaders
Branson4020, to answer our question, we came back to Texas on the new springs that Lippert installed. Our's were flat on one side so they replaced both sides and installed the wet bolt kit. We haven't experienced any further problems since the install if that makes you feel any better.

TravelTiger

Founding Texas-West Chapter Leaders-Retired
Can someone who has replaced springs tell me exactly what they used and cost? We are considering doing this.

E

lwmcguir

We used Lippert springs but 500 pounds heavier rated. No problems with them in over a year. Cost ranges from 50-70 dollars per spring plus shipping.

branson4020

Icantre Member
It's not so much a matter of who you buy them from as where they are made. Lippert does not make their own springs. My original "Lippert" springs were made in China. Other "Lippert" springs are USA-made and clearly of better quality.

TravelTiger

Founding Texas-West Chapter Leaders-Retired
Springs NOT OK.

The big-rig trailer shop just told us our driver's side springs are flattned too much (only 1" from spring hanger eyes to ubolt plate), the other side is headed that way. This is after 9K miles and 15 mo of ownership. Having them replaced, with something more heavy-duty.

E

lwmcguir

It's not so much a matter of who you buy them from as where they are made. Lippert does not make their own springs. My original "Lippert" springs were made in China. Other "Lippert" springs are USA-made and clearly of better quality.

I looked at ours but couldnt find any country of origin. We have 1 3/4 of bow and seems to be holding. So they could well be US made.

Mr.D

Dave, I'm also now sitting with "flat" 4 leaf springs on a 2010 3410. Did you make any special contact at Lippert to get them to upgrade your springs??? What might that contact be???