2nd Air Conditioner - Ducted or NOT

SilverRhino

In another thread someone mentioned that when you install a 2nd air unit......be sure to have it tied into the existing duct work.

Can this be done on a 2010 BC3250TS??

If the second unit was tied into the existing duct work...it seems to me that it would then truly be assisting the main unit.

So in summation....can this be done?? can it be done with a 15k unit?? or woutd a 13.5 be large enough??

grizzlygiant

The second unit normally is NOT tied into the duct system. You would have quite a remodel job to get to the ducting and little would be accomplished.

Pulltab

Hmmm, that seems like it would be pretty tough to do unless it was set up from the factory for that. I think someone was misinformed. Please provide the thread if you can find it.

SilverRhino

The post was entered by NavyAZ1 to a thread titled "Height of Unit with 2nd Air" I did not know how to quote from one thread into a new one so I copied the thread:

"We installed the same low profile unit in our BH it actually made the unit shorter, since we had a MaxAir cover over the vent and it is 9" tall and the new Carrier A/C is only 7" tall. Be sure and have them cut the new unit into the vent ducts it is a great way to keep the coach cool with little noise. We use both A/C's until the coach is cooled down then we use only the bedroom A/C so we don't have all that noise from the main A/C."

So unless I read something wrong...........but either way....this is where I got the idea.

Pulltab

Interesting but would appear to be quite the job, especially on the new roof systems. Not sure it is a possibility. Rather than got thru all that just install the second air in the bedroom, it will assist the cooling just fine.

Pulltab

Their unit is an older one and they could have possibly done it, would have been a bear I can only imagine. I don't think you will have that option if they are laminating the new roofs like the floors are done.

B

bwwalczak

Thank you for your post.

Fact is that here at the factory, when a coach is prepped for 2nd A/C that includes the wiring and prep (bracing) for a second unit. This does not include ducting into existing ducts. Similar to two fans blowing against each other, ducting the second air would cancel out air blowing out of the main 15k A/C. With this limitation on airflow, it could cause the primary unit to limit airflow and possibly freeze.

All second airs when provided from the factory are 13,500 btu. This is also the suggestion when installed after market by a dealer.

2nd A/C is a personal preference usually in southern states.

I hope this helps answer your question.

Last edited by a moderator:

SilverRhino

Bryan;

Thanks for the information.......after reading your reply.....had to hit myself in the side of the head! Makes total sense that the opposing forces would be a problem.

We will just go with the second air....I'm sure that whatever extra cooling we get it will make a difference during the Texas summers!

Thanks again for your input.

KENNY COCHRAN

MCNEESE STATE COWBOYS #1
"2nd A/C is a personal preference usually in southern states."

BRYAN - PLEASE CHANGE YOUR THINKING ON THE ABOVE, THE 2ND AC IS "MANDATORY" IN THE SOUTHERN STATES. ANYTHING BELOW THE MASON DIXON LINE NEEDS THE 2ND AC UNIT. PERIOD, END OF DISCUSSION. YOU COME TO SOUTH LOUISIANA WITH 96' HEAT, AND HUMIDITY AT 90+, AND I KNOW YOU WILL AGREE WITH ME. KENNY

Last edited by a moderator:
Carrier Low Profile 15,000 BTU unit (installed by me)

Hi,

We live in Texas and our 3250TS Big Country is excellent in every way ... except ... our unit could not be made cool enough. I purchased a Carrier Low Profile unit (online) and with minimal help from my better half was able to install the unit with very little trouble. Removal of the power vent over the bed provided the exact opening needed. The only problem came when attempting to use the Carrier supplied bolts to hold the upper and lower unit together and tighten them down. (Too short) Home depot was able to fix me up with 1/4" all thread and some stainless steel lock nuts. A little bit of hacksaw exercise got the length exactly correct. The rest of the install was a piece of cake. Finding the coiled wire in the "attic" was fairly easy too. Our new A/C does a great job and now our trailer can be kept cool even in the hottest of our Texas summers. (Carrier makes a 13,500 BUT unit and a 15,000 BTU unit. We opted for the max capacity, but probably could have used the smaller one. Ducted units probably require more skilled labor to install. We're happy with what we did. Good Luck!

tweber

Founding Wisconsin Chapter Leader-Retired
We also put the Carrier low profile AC in the bedroom, but added the heat strip. Went with the Carrier because it was a few pounds lighter and a few inches shorter than other units. Very satisfied with the unit.

jgallego

We live in Texas and we too had to add the Carrier 13.5 BTU low profile unit. Unit works great and easy to install.

Jaime