Using USB Datacard near US Borders

Terry H

Past Texas North Chapter Leader/Moderator
Staff member
For those of you who have a USB data card with a cellar carrier. Be careful if you decide to use it in the US near the borders of Canada of Mexico. It is possible for you to be connected to a Canadian or Mexican Cell network. I was staying in Sault Ste. Marie, MI for 4 days and using my USB data card for Internet Service. If you do connect to one of these networks you will be charged the international data rate which is very expensive.

I have service with Verizon, they called me on Thursday (the day I left Sault Ste. Marie) to tell me that I had used 250KB on the Canadian Cell Network and the fee for that was $ 500.00. :eek: They said I could upgrade to The Global Data Plan for $129.00 a month and that would wipe out the $ 500.00 charge. I took them up on the Global Data Plan.

I am glad Verizon called me so that it would keep me from a big shocking cell phone bill. Because of Verizon calling me about my data charges and letting me upgrade to the Global Plan and saving me from a big cell phone bill, I plan to stay with them for a long time.

Terry H

Staff member
Yes, they did. That is why I plan to stay with them for a long time.

Oldlthrneck

Just an Old Jarhead
A friend of mine that lives on Whidbey Island (which is up by Seattle, WA.) was using his cell phone and it connected with a tower in Victoria, BC which is on Vancouver Island in British Columbia. He ended up with a $4000.00 cell phone bill, because of the International rates that he was charged. He called his cell phone company and they reversed all of his charges and did not have him sign up for a more expensive program. If I am in the US and use my card, I don't care how close I am to the border, I should not have to sign up for a more expensive international program just to avoid charges that their system can't deal with. My plan covers usage in the US, and I expect to pay exactly what my plan says that I should pay, as long as I am in the US, regardless of what tower it connects with. That sounds like they have a problem, not me.
Fred

Ray LeTourneau

Senior Member - Past Moderator
Even here in central WI, I get a message that I'm "roaming" and may be charged $20.58 per MB. As soon as I saw this I called Verizon and said "what's up with this". After determining where I was the cust service guy made a note on my account file and assured me I wouldn't be charged. While we were in the U.P. I got the same message. My bill was the normal $60. Did you get a similar message Terry?

Terry H

Staff member
Ray,

I did not get that message, because the USB modem was connected to Cradlepoint Router.

In a few weeks I will change from the Global Data Plan to the US Data Plan.

jmgratz

Original Owners Club Member
Alex at the 3G store once advised about this at a seminar. He also said that most of the companies will let you sign up for an international roaming plan on a temporary basis if you will be traveling close to a boarder area. What do you folks who live close to the boarder do?

Ray LeTourneau

Senior Member - Past Moderator
Ray,

I did not get that message, because the USB modem was connected to Cradlepoint Router.

In a few weeks I will change from the Global Data Plan to the US Data Plan.
You're right, I remember now I didn't get that message till I plugged it into the computer. I was having trouble with a connection so I removed it from the router to trouble shoot. That's when I got the message.

TXBobcat

Fulltime
When I was in the UP I got the VZGlobal notification. If you would connect the air card to your computer before you bring it up on the routher it will give you a notice of what system you would be connecting to. When I was in Wisconsin Rapids I got the same message as Ray. Here in ND I checked and Verizon is the normal system.

Terry. Before you cancel your international service be sure you have been on the service for at least a month. If you convert back before the billing date of the service your charges will revert back to the original charges. I am familiar with this because I use to set up Verizon for the company I worked for. Check it out before you change back.
BC

vangoes

I agree with Oldlthrneck...................Verizon should have adjusted the charges completely without doing the "bait and switch routine"! It is their technical inadequacy that this happens. After all, in this day and age they can pinpoint your exact location and determine that you are in the US. Just does not seem like very good customer service to require you to sign up for a more expensive plan when you should not need it to begin with!

kakampers

Past Heartland Ambassador
We spent all of last winter, six months to be exact, right next to the border of Mexico in the RGV. The actual border is no more than a 1/4 mile from our lot and we too have Verizon with the cradlepoint router...never had any problem...bill remained the same the entire time...$59.99.

phranc

We camped a couplemof weeks ago at Wellsley Isle Ny , Just about straddles the Can border. Got text on the cell from verizon saying we were in Can.called cust servive , they said 'not to worry, just call when you get next bill and they will adjust.. And they did, Oh yes,Verizon BTW.. basicly they told me the same thing OldLeatherneck said..