Axle/Suspension Concerns

janitor1

Dear Heartland

We have mixed feelings about our Heartland Bighorn 3600RE. With it only being a year after purchase, we are concerned with how many problems seem to have had. We have already had issues with a broken (misaligned) slide out, leaky sink, leaky bedroom slide out, broken DVD player, etc. (By the way, when we went to get our DVD player fixed, we were told by Samsung that because we weren't the original purchaser - Heartland is - Samsung won't warranty the product!)

Our current problem is that after reading a post on this forum titled I just found this--you should check yours t//heartlandowners.org/showthread.php?t=9134 it appears that the suspension on the off-door side of the RV is bent and has been slightly rubbing on the tires also the shock was really loose I am going to send some pictures to heartland to see if they can help me i like the trailer but my wife would like to sell it we have 3 week trip to Yellowstone planned in the next few weeks because we spent a lot of money on it and we are losing our trust in it , a few days ago we were traveling and someone was interested in a Heartland like mine and asked me how I liked it and I was honest too in saying I don’t think I would buy another one .

To check out photos of the problem, follow this link http://s680.photobucket.com/albums/vv161/Cortamphotos/RV///heartlandowners.org/<a href=

RV

Pulltab

One thing you really have to be careful about is when backing the rv, try to never push the rv into the spot at a 90* angle or really any angle probably beyond about 50 degrees. It just pushes the coach sideways on the suspension. I'm not saying that is what has happened but that can be the result. I have seen many a people try to manuever their rv this way. Heartland kindof does itself no good when advertising the 90* turn clearance. Outside of that , lippert frames seem to be notorious about this. Remember Heartland build the rv not the frame. :)

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
janitor1, with it being a year after purchase, those items you mentioned should have been covered under warranty. Including your Samsung DVD. How old is your rig? I noticed that the tires were weather cracked in the tread area as well as showing a lot of wear. One other thing I noticed is that there is no evidence of greasing at the Zerc fittings on the Trail Air. I'm thinkin along the lines of another post about regular inspections of the coach. Anyway, I hope you get your issues resolved. Keep us posted.

Peace
Dave

Bob&Patty

Founders of SoCal Chapter
Janitor, sorry your having problems. Addressing a letter to Heartland on this forum may not be the answer. This forum is monitored by Heartland but not owned by Heartland. You should call Heartland customer service and explain your problems to them. Just who told you that your DVD player was not a warrenty issue. I also am assuming that you bought this coach new??? Is your BH over a year old?? Did you call Heartland service about your problems? Have you called Lippert about your suspention problems? All the phone numbers are listed on the portal page. Before you dump your trailer, you might want to visit some other brands forums and see some of the issues that they are having. Make some phone calls and see what happens. Bob

janitor1

Cookie i don't know what pictures tour looking at or maybe you need to get your eyes checked but this trailer only has 2000 miles on it and was buildt in 4/24\08 and you better talk to samsung as I did before you assume about warrentys As I called heartland and got the run around about the sound system

Last edited:

jimtoo

Have you contacted your dealer? He is the one that should go to bat for you.

I was looking at the pictures and do not see a loose nut on shock, or any evidence of grease on the fittings. Also the tires appear to be Good Year, are they the same size or the next size larger? I do not think Good Year makes the same size as what comes on the units. It is normal for the tires to rub on the shocks a little when on a tight turn or backing into a site with a tight turn with oversize tires. The rub on the tires in the pictures is nothing to be concerned with in my opinion.

If you have contacted your dealer with no results, you should contact Heartland customer service, 877-262-8032. Have your VIN number and purchase date and they will want pictures, maybe better than what you have posted for us to see.

Jim M

Bob&Patty

Founders of SoCal Chapter
Janitor1, I am really confused now. In you original post you said that your coach was "with it only being a year after purchase" and then you state you bought on 4/24/09. This means, if my math is correct, you have had this coach 3 1/2 months. Is this correct?? Then you say that HL and everybody is telling you that you have "NO" warrenty. Something just does not sound right or add up. BTW, I looked at the pix you posted and I did see somethings that didnt look right. But maybe I need my eyes checked also. But getting in peoples faces here on the forum will not get your coach fixed. We only own them we dont fix them. You want help, we can give you advise. Your fight is with Heartland, Lippert and samsung not us. Remember that this forum is "NOT" owned by Heartland. Its owned by Jim Beletti. This forum is for owners helping other owners with advise and support. Bob:confused:

jayc

Texas-South Chapter Leaders
Janitor1, I am having problems with my Samsung TV. The power module has apparently gone out because it will not turn on at all. I have scheduled a service trip to the dealer for removal of the television for tomorrow. I called Samsung Direct, hoping to avoid a trip to the dealer, and was told by them that my television is out of warranty through them but if Heartland would furnish them with the bill of sale, proving when I bought the trailer, they would honor the warranty with Heartland. What this means is that they sold the tv to Heartland over a year ago, so the factory warranty of one year is expired but I still have my warranty through Heartland. Camping World will furnish my purchase date and get it covered with Samsung.

Pulltab

Janitor1, I am really confused now. In you original post you said that your coach was "with it only being a year after purchase" and then you state you bought on 4/24/09. This means, if my math is correct, you have had this coach 3 1/2 months. Is this correct?? Then you say that HL and everybody is telling you that you have "NO" warrenty. Something just does not sound right or add up. BTW, I looked at the pix you posted and I did see somethings that didnt look right. But maybe I need my eyes checked also. But getting in peoples faces here on the forum will not get your coach fixed. We only own them we dont fix them. You want help, we can give you advise. Your fight is with Heartland, Lippert and samsung not us. Remember that this forum is "NOT" owned by Heartland. Its owned by Jim Beletti. This forum is for owners helping other owners with advise and support. Bob:confused:
I wasn't gonna say that but glad you did Bob. Pretty hard to get some one to stop and help you change a tire if you flip them off when they attempt :rolleyes:

CrazyScotsman

One thing you really have to be careful about is when backing the rv, try to never push the rv into the spot at a 90* angle or really any angle probably beyond about 50 degrees. It just pushes the coach sideways on the suspension. I'm not saying that is what has happened but that can be the result. I have seen many a people try to manuever their rv this way. Heartland kindof does itself no good when advertising the 90* turn clearance. Outside of that , lippert frames seem to be notorious about this. Remember Heartland build the rv not the frame. :)

Pulltab, it's a trailer it should be able to withstand continuous 90deg. turns. How do you think semi trailers stand up, heck 45,000 lbs + on them and constantly getting backed into a dock at 90 degrees plus.
A fiver should be able to stand up to it to.
Just my opinion.:)

Pulltab

Pulltab, it's a trailer it should be able to withstand continuous 90deg. turns. How do you think semi trailers stand up, heck 45,000 lbs + on them and constantly getting backed into a dock at 90 degrees plus.
A fiver should be able to stand up to it to.
Just my opinion.:)
I am speaking of backing the trailer and having your truck jack knifed, you are doing nothing but pushing the axles side ways, semis are MUCH more reinforced than these trailers and the wheels are all the way in the back not near the center. Just look under it and you will see the spring hangers are merely 1/4" steel bent channels. You can push yours all you like I don't mind at all, I am just giving a friendly personal opinion. Sooner or later you will look under your trailer and see the middle spring hanger bent to one side or the other. there is a lot of leverage there. I know this from experience from my Fleetwood when I had only done this a few times. That is why if you look at your frame rails you will see a reinforcement plate welded in the corner. that is to keep from bending the frame itself and comprimising the strength.

CrazyScotsman

Well, Pulltab. I have backed many a 53' trailer in a dock at a 90 degree angle with the tandems slid almost to the middle.
I am not saying that the fiver is made stronger like a semi trailer, but they should withstand regular backing at excessive angles. The way i have to jackknife mine in the cul de sac puts a lot of strain on it, but in my book it should be able to stand up to that. Believe me where I park mine at the house is a Royal pain in the you know what. jackknife it this way, then that way, then straight, then jackknife again, my axles should be laying in the cul de sac by now . :)

boatdoc

Have you contacted your dealer? He is the one that should go to bat for you.

I was looking at the pictures and do not see a loose nut on shock, or any evidence of grease on the fittings. Also the tires appear to be Good Year, are they the same size or the next size larger? I do not think Good Year makes the same size as what comes on the units. It is normal for the tires to rub on the shocks a little when on a tight turn or backing into a site with a tight turn with oversize tires. The rub on the tires in the pictures is nothing to be concerned with in my opinion.

If you have contacted your dealer with no results, you should contact Heartland customer service, 877-262-8032. Have your VIN number and purchase date and they will want pictures, maybe better than what you have posted for us to see.

Jim M

I completely disagree with you on your statement about tire rubs. Tires are designed to be rubbed on the tread and NOT on the sidewall. The springs on our trailers are a complete joke and dangerous to boot. They don't work on that angle and should not be on the trailer. They are nothing but a sales pitch for Lippert. What other vehicle that uses shocks actually has them in the way of tire movement of one way or another, NONE period. Take those cheap shocks off, if you can get through the rust, and throw them as far as you can in the landfill.