Heartland Factory Tour

moose53

Jan and I retired in June and plan to slowly travel to the west coast and back starting in late August. We would like to tour the Heartland factory if they have tours. Also would like any info on routes and sites that are must see's and one to avoid.

Thanks,
Harvey

TRAVELER07

Founding New Mexico Chapter Leader
Hi Harvey and Jan,If you are going to visit the heartland factory you may also want to see the RV hall museum in Elkhart In;also If you have time a must see is Henry Ford museum,Greenfield village and the Ford F150 factory tour that is in Dearborn Mich a suburb of Detroit a very nice area campground is Sterling state park that is on I 75 in Monroe Michnot a far ride from the Ohio turnpike in Toledo Ohio.We also liked seeing the Badlands and Custer State park in S Dakota

jmgratz

Original Owners Club Member
Heartland gives their factory tours on Friday. Contact them for exact times and dates available.

wdk450

Big Subject

Moose53
welcome to the ranks of retired and Heartland owners and Retiree's.

Here is a link I Googled on the Heartland tour: http://www.roamingtimes.com/factorytours/heartland.asp

I hope thinfo is current as it is from a 3rd party source, but it includes a phone # to call.

Your request on the "West Coast" is pretty big. It is a question of time, how much you want to see, and how much time you have. If you are starting in August I would recommend you start at the north end of the Coast to keep the temperatures down. August in inland California (and Washington/Oregon east of the Cascades) can be pretty warm.
I would use Woodall's online and RV park Reviews websites to scout out places to stay.
Seattle/Puget sound has lots to see/do and lots of scenery. Mt. St Helens is an informative stop at the Southern end of Wa. Explore Portland and dont miss a trip inland through the Coumbia River Gorge.
We have fallen in Love with Oregon and plan to stay a month at Casey's RV Resort on the upper Wilammete river east of Eugene. We recently attended a rally at Winchester Bay RV resort at the mouth of the Umpquah river, and highly recommend it. It is within easy driving distance of 3 or 4 Oregon coastal towns with a lot of visitor attractions.
The coastal drive down US 101 is gorgeous, and the cities of Gold Beach and Brookings has an RV parks right on the ocean.
We stayed at a county fairgrounds park in Ferndale, Ca. (near Eureka) for a minimal cost, and the town has a great supply of well-kept victorian homes/businesses.
Stay off US 1 North of San Francisco as it is too twisty for a big rig. The Daily City (SF southern suburb) to Santa Cruz section is a little twisty challenge between Pacifica and Montera (devil' slide area) but is gorgeous after that.
There are RV parks in San Francisco, but don't expect landscaped forest - rather a place to park. SF Tahoe, and Yosemite, etc. all have a lot less tourist crowds after memorial day. Same with the Southern California attractions.
Have a great trip, and maybe visit us at Casey's.

moose53

McMinnville

WDK450,

One of my goals for this trip was to see the Spruce Goose in McMinnville, Oregon. I see that Casey's RV Resort is south of there. Looks like a nice place. Thanks for the other info.

Harvey

jbeletti

If you call in advance to make arrangements, we can usually accommodate a tour most any time of the day, M-F. Call 574-262-5992 to inquire.

Jim

SmokeyBare

Moose,

Your going to enjoy Evergreen Aviation Museum !!!

Here are a few photos to spike your interest...

Attachments

• IMG_0159.JPG
    IMG_0159.JPG
    391.5 KB · Views: 15
  • IMG_0140.jpg
    IMG_0140.jpg
    397.2 KB · Views: 15
  • IMG_0144.JPG
    IMG_0144.JPG
    701.1 KB · Views: 18
  • IMG_0155.JPG
    IMG_0155.JPG
    605 KB · Views: 18

ricatic

I have also been to the Evergreen Museum. It has a nice assortment of all types of civilian and military aircraft. I was disappointed though about the Spruce Goose. After paying an admission to the museum itself, to see anything but a 12 by 12 area in the fuselage of the Goose requires an additional fee. When I was there a young mother was there with a 8-10 year old son who badly wanted to see the rest of the plane. The place was nearly empty. The mother told her son she did not have money for the additional tour. The tour guides heard this but did not offer to accomodate the young man. A missed opportunity to spread aviation to a youth. She refused my offer to pay.

Ricatic

kampfirekid

We were there two weeks ago at the North Trail factory. Heartland does tours Monday thru Thursday, but we showed up on Friday and the accommodated us without any questions. There is no tour of the main Heartland Factory, per say, but tours of the specific trailer lines at their particular building. We wnt to the North Trail factory, which also build the Edge, which is next door to the Sundance line.