CPAP Power

k6fn

K6FN
For those of you that use a CPAP machine for sleeping like I do, I needed a way to power my unit from 12 volt battery while dry camping.. in our 3100RL I removed the front closet light fixture and added a length of 2 conductor wire (# 16 gauge is good) taking notice of which wire was the plus (positive 12 V), then ran the wire inside of the closet and down the side under the trim and out to my side of the bed to the CPAP unit with the proper plug for the CPAP.. perfect ! I reinstalled the light and all is good.. if anyone needs more details just contact me and I will be happy to elaborate.. another way is to use a small 12V inverter to power the unit with the 120 volt supplied power supply, but the inverters are power hogs and eat battery power fast so I try to stay away from them whenever possible.. Good luck.. happy camping. jerry

jimtoo

Hi francisjohnson,

Welcome to the Heartland Owners Forum and hopefully to the family of owners. We have a great bunch of people here with lots of information and all willing to share their knowledge if needed.

Yes, you will find all kinds of information on the forum and lots of great people.

Enjoy the forum.

Jim M

jpdoggett

For those of you that use a CPAP machine for sleeping like I do, I needed a way to power my unit from 12 volt battery while dry camping.. in our 3100RL I removed the front closet light fixture and added a length of 2 conductor wire (# 16 gauge is good) taking notice of which wire was the plus (positive 12 V), then ran the wire inside of the closet and down the side under the trim and out to my side of the bed to the CPAP unit with the proper plug for the CPAP.. perfect ! I reinstalled the light and all is good.. if anyone needs more details just contact me and I will be happy to elaborate.. another way is to use a small 12V inverter to power the unit with the 120 volt supplied power supply, but the inverters are power hogs and eat battery power fast so I try to stay away from them whenever possible.. Good luck.. happy camping. jerry

Thanks for the info I have had a BIPAP for many years but never needed 12v for it but now I may fix my RV so I can run it both ways, Again Thanks

ICamel

I set up a dedicated battery system for my CPAP by installing two RV/Deep Cycle Batteries under the main bed. I found a plastic tote that exactly holds the two batteries, and hooked up a charger/maintainer for the batteries which keeps them charged(but not overcharged) while on shore power. I also hooked up a pure sine wave inverter for my CPAP/Humidifier running off the two dedicated batteries. I can run for 4 nights without having to charge the batteries, and not worry about running down the RV batteries with my CPAP. When extended dry camping, I will run my Honda generator during the day to charge the dedicated batteries and the RV batteries. I also make sure that the bedroom has sufficient air ventilation when charging the batteries. Life is good!

WYWendinger

Thanks for the great mod tips, my husband got one last Fall and he is miserable with it and without it. He likes to sleep on the easy side of the bed but the outlet, etc, is on "my" side. We were planning on building a little shelf or something and he asked me to look up to see what others had done.

RollingHome

Jerry, This question has been asked and answered several times. Look in the med section... But, since you asked, most of the breather machines need 12 Volts DC. There is none better then 12 VDC supplied by any 12 DCV wet cell battery - the kind in your RV, Car, Truck, Boat, Plane, Jumper Pack etc. etc. I had the RV place install 2 12 VDC cigarette type receptacles in our bed near the top (pillow area). Then I bought 2 adapter cords with 12VDC cigarette ends. When Patti and I retire we plug in, sleep, get up, make coffee and go play. You can make it more complicated if you desire but for me... I keep it simple :) Happy camping and go grab some zees dude & dudette :)