Sprayer in Black Water Tank

timdebs

How does the sprayer work inside the black water holding tank? Does it just spray water on the bottom of tank or does it spray the sides, etc.?

sharmulst

When the black water is emptied, Steve hooks up the spray and closes the valve and runs water into the tank via the sprayer. He does this 2 or 3 times and the last time it is mostly clear. He always saves the other 2 holding tanks to use to rinse the sewer hose. As far as where the sprayers are in the tank, ask a customer service engineer. Hope this helps.

Bobby A

you have to be very careful if you close the valve while flushing your black water tank. If you get sidetracked or a neighbor comes to talk, you could have a REAL BIG MESS !! This happened to me yesterday, good thing I NEVER close my valve while flushing. If you do close the valve you can hear a change in sound when the tank starts to fill up. Thats when its time to turn off the water to your flusher and go in side and fill up the rest of the tank by holding your foot on the pedal. Just my opinion.

jmgratz

Original Owners Club Member
I think the question was where does the sprayer spray. I am not sure. Someone from the factory would have to answer that one but I would hope it would have some type of fan spray pattern which would get the sides top and bottom of the tank.

timdebs

That is what I was wondering if it sprays the whole tank. My last camper I used a "King Flusher" , and Bobby I know what you are talking about, it does make a big mess when time slipped by, not to mention hearing it from the wife, (bad part is I deserved it, but don't let her know I said that). I am just trying to make sure tank stays clean. Thank you for your replys.

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
I'm reasonably sure the sprayer is mounted to the side of the tank and puts out a rotating fan pattern. If it were mounted on the bottom, it could catch "stuff" that you were trying to flush out in the first place.

thomasinnv

the brochure on heartlands website for my model shows a picture of it, and it is mounted on the side of the tank. it sprays a fan pattern across the tank, which gets the sides and the bottom. on mine, the sprayer is mounted on the oposite side of the sensors so they get cleaned off when you flush.

Del600

Iowa Chapter Founding Father
You get side tracked enough to fill a 40 gallon tank..... WOW. That would be a mess.

timdebs

It is amazing how quick the tank fills up when you are not standing there watching and waiting for it to fill. If I let it happpen on our new camper Debbie will @$#@#%@! me!

MurrayN.

I just got back from a 17 day trip in my new Sundance and it was great. At my last stop I filled up my black tank from the flusher connection while going into the bathroom every minute to open the toilet to release any pressure build up (Don't know how the tank is vented). You could here the water running into the tank every time I hit the toilet pedal until the tank was almost full, then the sprayer nozzle was covered and it was quiet. Then I opened the black valve and got a good clean tank. So I don't know if there is a spinner to spray the water or whether it just dumps in water from the top of the tank but it is definitely towards the top of the tank.

mountainlovers76

Mississippi Chapter Leaders
You get side tracked enough to fill a 40 gallon tank..... WOW. That would be a mess.

Yes it is a mess. I found out the hard way two weeks ago. Blew the gate valve right out of the tank. At least it did not rupture the tank. Thank goodness I had just dumped and flushed the tank very well so the "mess" was not to bad. It is quite an experience to be in a RV resort in the mountians, sitting by your coach, reclining in your chair with the dog on your lap, talking to the DW and suddenly hear a loud thud and see Niagra Falls flowing our from under the coach. I was lucky, very little water went back up through the commode to the inside, it was contained almost totatlly underneath where cleanup and repair was not to bad.

Due to this mishap I have since come up with an overflow warning device idea. It is simple and should give enough warning so you can shut off the water before anything happens.

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
Care to share your device? I would like to get as much warning as possible.

From the sounds of it, it might be a short chain to padlock your hand to the tank valve handle. Every time you try to leave, you automatically open the valve. When I'm working as the "sanitation engineer," I don't leave the UDC. I put a small shut-off valve on the inlet to the tank flush, just so I can shut off the water right there.

boatto5er

Founding VA Chap Ldr (Ret)
From the sounds of it, it might be a short chain to padlock your hand to the tank valve handle. Every time you try to leave, you automatically open the valve. When I'm working as the "sanitation engineer," I don't leave the UDC. I put a small shut-off valve on the inlet to the tank flush, just so I can shut off the water right there.

All three of these are great ideas:). I'm slapping myself in the forehead for not thinking about the shut-off valve!

jmgratz

Original Owners Club Member
Yall don't feel too bad I have overflowed ours 3 times. Only once was it messy. I guess you can say I am a slow learner. Now after getting my a.. chewed out real bad I have learned to stand by the valve and not talk to anybody. If I have to talk to anyone I turn off the water first. BTW it does not take that long to overflow the black tank. Incidently the toliet bowl holds just over 2 gallons of water so 21 bowls full will fill up the tank.

boatto5er

Founding VA Chap Ldr (Ret)
Yall don't feel too bad I have overflowed ours 3 times. Only once was it messy. I guess you can say I am a slow learner. Now after getting my a.. chewed out real bad I have learned to stand by the valve and not talk to anybody. If I have to talk to anyone I turn off the water first. BTW it does not take that long to overflow the black tank. Incidently the toliet bowl holds just over 2 gallons of water so 21 bowls full will fill up the tank.

Jim, That sounds like a load of crap to me! (sorry, I just couldn't resist:D)

chris60

about 8 minutes, & the water starts pouring down the stairs.. I guess you must not have kids .. Myself, I need to leave note to remember to get up some mornings!

Oldlthrneck

Just an Old Jarhead
I don't close mine off. I just let the water run and it seems to clean everything fine. The indicator always gets cleaned off and reads empty. I know that I am easily distracted and don't ever want to have an overflow, yuck.
Fred

todalake

Open valve

I agree with oldlthneck, just leave valve open when running flusher. I think there is a note to leave valve open when running flusher. If the object is to hit the solids with water from flusher then that is defeated when tank is filled with water with closed valve.

chasdvorak

In the past I used the King Flusher to back-fill and flush....usually 3-4 cycles kept it really clean and I only did that every 2-3 flushes. I like the idea of the built in flusher, but I still can't get to empty.....keeps hanging at 1/3. I've tried with the valve open and closed. What would be really nice is to have a second indicator panel in the UDC.