Water Tank

ramman222

As I have read on other posts, most people are unsure on the hoses hanging under the trailer. Under my cyclone I have 3 hoses, 1 under the forward step and one one either side of the front axle. They run water when the tank is full and conyinue to run long after the water is shut off. First question is why 3 hoses and if they are in the top of the tank, a siphon should not be a problem. As for asking my dealer I would get the same answer out of my 12 year old daughter and trust it more! So can you tell me why the 3 hoses.

timk

ramman,
If your tank is the same as ours, it has 4 vents, one at each corner, very near the top of the tank, but they are mounted on the side of the tank. One of the vents goes to the fill port area, and the other 3 exit behind the axles.
TimK

ramman222

TIMK. When you travel with your trailer, does it spill water constantly. We leave with a full tank and end up at 2/3 when we arrive. I am not always pulling this thing down a paved highway, some roads have a 12 to 15 percent grade to them but I did'nt have this problem with my old Montana.

timk

Ramman,
It used to leak, untill I put the valves on the vent tubes. Not a drop now. Its just too ez of a fix, not to do it.
TimK

Last edited:

dieselengineer

Charter Member
This item does not make sense to me. I understand the four connections at each corner of the fresh water tank for venting needs. But why if they are vents, the lines are routed down and out like drains? Anybody knows in the plumbing world, vents go up and drains go down. The easy fix is to manifold the lines together with the line that comes out next to the fill point. No valves or caps to mess with. No water loss. One happy working system. :p

timk

Dieselengineer,
The vents are in the side of the tank, but very near the top of the sides. There is one vent that runs to the fill area. I just keep my three closed with the valve and it works just fine. You can open the valve when filling if you want to know when the factory wants you to stop filling. Yes they could have came up with a better system. On our rig its pretty easy to get to the back of the tank, but to get to the front of the tank to do your manifold idea, would require cutting underbelly, but its a great idea. Are you listening Heartland??
TimK

dieselengineer

Charter Member
Timk
My underbelly was easy to remove without cutting. The self tapping fastners are installed from the bottom up into the frame. Just remove the fastners and roll back the material.

timk

Dieselengineer,
When I had my underbelly down, it was easy till I got to the axles. My water tank sits just about centered above the axles. I could get to the back of the tank ok, but didn't have any place to roll up the underbelly with the axles in the way.

I like your manifold idea, if you can get to the pipes, I would go for it.

TimK

Just another thought, with the vents running down, it also keeps you from filling the last couple of inches of the water tank. You might want to put some more support under the tank first.

Wild Wind

Water Tank Sipon Problem

It became very clear why we have water siponing problems after a tour of the Hartland factories this last weekend, during the rally. I saw many unit frames in the plant showing Harland's careless attitude about pointing the 90 degree side elbows straight down and letting the 3 vent/overfow hoses running haphazard along beside the bottom of the tanks resting on the bottom cover over by the left axles. Also the water fill & vent hose is allowed to run haphazard along the bottem of frame/joist area, lopping up and down, then finally up to the fill/vent cap, instead of tied up under the floor area. This is why some of us have trouble filling our water tanks only to have the water siponed out later. I ask the Plant forman about the tank hose routing and sloppy workmanship, the foreman replied that, "they always straighten up the hoses and tie them up better later down the line. During the plant tour, I did some Q.C. Inspecting down the line and found this to be untrue, and then decide that I could not trust anyone but myself to do the water tank venting repair right.
On Sunday after the Rally, I layed under my trailer for 5 hours, opening up the bottom and rerouting the vent and fill hoses and tieing them up properly (see pictures). LSI had our Bighorn for a month and still did not have time to fix the water and then just before the Rally, Joe of LSI, tryed to talk me into installing valves on the three vent hoses. Two months ago, at the Heartland Service Center, Randy told us Hartland has a fix for the siponing of the water tank, "just fill the tank 1/3 full (25 gallons)".
One reason we bought the Hartland product was because the specfications, said "75 gallons of water".
Atfer correcting another one of Hartland's problems on my vacation time, at 9:00PM Sunday night, and then delivered the Bighorn to LSI more repairs, we headed for home without our trailer again, very tired and dishearted. Pat & I, got home 12:30 AM Monday Morning. Watch for the pictures of the frames/tanks and our repair.
Pat & I had a very good time at the Rally and the Harland Company where excellent hosts.

Attachments

• DSCN0545.JPG
    DSCN0545.JPG
    76.7 KB · Views: 149
  • DSCN0547.JPG
    DSCN0547.JPG
    72.2 KB · Views: 136
Last edited by a moderator:

Scott

Clarence's valves apparently were not turned correctly - which was a mistake on our part - and one that we will make right. Beyond that, I have to say that I don't agree with his other comments, or his assertations about how much we care about our coaches or our workmanship. Nor do I belive for one minue that he "inspected" coaches on our line and found our line foreman's statements to be "untrue". I was standing right there; as were many of you. Tell me just how Clarence was "inspecting" this area of the coach further along - down the line - as it is completed sealed with the underbelly below and the floor above - after the second station in the line? Did Clarence remove the underbelly of the coaches to see the things he is claiming in his statements? Becasue he didn't.
Sorry - it's just not a valid statement or correct overview of our plumbing system design and employees.
Sorry - 1 + 1 doesn't make 3.
ST

Wild Wind

Scot, you and Heartland where a great host this past weekend, and the factory tours where great I succeded in getting the reaction I wanted from you, I am only trying to make constructive commits to improve your product and to stop the Heartache Pat & I have had for the past 8 months, and manybe save other owners from Heartache owning Hearland product!
Scot, I know that you would have fixed my unit. Obisously, you did not read my post all the way, because as I said above, "I layed under my trailer for 5 hours,." reworking the vents, it was because of the reseponses from Randy, and Joe of LSI, and I know that when I talked to you about this on the tour, you said that you would take care of this. Scott, you are the only one that seems to care. I worked for Inland Scholz Housing Systems in the 1970's and after 4 years they went bankrupt because of this attitude and QC problems, where you even born then? I was their trainer/general forman, and hired 2,000 people to get 600 workers also! We love our #3055 Bighorn, but are fed up with all of the problems. Scott, how much has Heartland spent on my trailer at LSI so far fix all of our problems? How much will you spend in the next two weeks fixing the rest of the problems? lSR was suppose to fix our TV cables during the last month, and said that they did, all weekend our TV did not work!! ISR sent two younger people over on Saturday to try to fix the cables, but they did not know what they were doing, and I told them to leave. After the major, major repair in our bedroom for the past month, now our toilet door will not stay latched !! Won't worry about it I will fix it my self!
Scott it has been 8 months since my trailer was built with the elbows pointing down (in 6th grade elementry school I learned about siponing and siponing gasline), why is Heartland still sitting the same tank in those frames, why were the elbows still pointing down, why does Heartland waste so many feet of hose, when they could lope straight uo and straight down and out of the bottom through a neat round little hole? I have also spent hours rerouting wires and hoses to make things look neat, and easy to work on!
The right 2 pictures on my post is my simple fix, the left 4 pictures is the Heartland's mess of wires and hoses. Good Plumbers, Elecricians, HVA techs, take pride in runing lines stright and neat. This an Elkart metallity.
I did not like the quick response and attitude of your Foreman in front of the group, which everyone witnessed. I felt, a cover-up was in progress, therefore, I did take off from the group and found that elblows and lines were not changed up to the final placement of floor deck!!.
Scott, I do not like temperly fixes, our new toilet has worked great for the last 4 days,even without vasline, and our black water tank seems to drain well now. PS. Our shower door still leaks!
Scott, you should walk around some of the finished units, cut the bottoms open and check the venting of the water tanks.
Scott thanks for listening and responing, no one does that better then Heartland on the forum!

jbeletti

To all forum members,

Rare is the time that I would ever consider editing a members post. The dialog going back and forth between Clarence (Wild Wind) and the Factory (Scott) is one that I am getting involved with - a bit.

Clarence has issues with his trailer. This is not in dispute. He asked me to add his images to his post and I did this and had no problem doing so. I did not however review the images closely.

Four of the 6 images were taken inside and outside of the Heartland factories and 2 images were of his coach. I just removed the 4 images of coach frames in partial states of construction.

The reason I did this is first, I should have been more aware of what I was posting and second, partially built coach pictures are not indicative of final build processes.

Allowing pictures to be taken during factory tours is sort of a double-edged sword for manufacturers (of anything). Yet, we were allowed to do it. I just ask that we use the pictures for our own personal edification and be careful of what point we are trying to make when posting them online.

Clarence, as a personal note to you, I extend my apologies for not looking at the images closer before I added them at your request. I accept the responsibility.

Thanks all,

Jim

Scott

Clarence, feel free to contact me via email regarding any future comments you have. I refuse to engage with you in a public dispute of what you may or may not think you know. You call your comments "constructive". I will let others be the judge of that.
By the way - for the record, I was "born then.."; I am just one of many who care here at Heartland; and your conspiracy theory about a cover up at Heartland is just plain goofy.

kuldaddy

Bravo Scott!! I think the thing to learn from this thread is that ramman222's original question was promptly answered by caring forum members prior to this hijacking.

BTW, while our unit has not been perfect we have built a great relationship with our dealer (ExploreUSA) and they have gone out of their way to make our trailer right. Obviously, Heartland is providing the appropriate support to ExploreUSA and they are passing this customer support on to us!!

Thanks again!!

Loco

3795 water tank fix

I have a 2007 cyclone and had the same trouble. Loaded mywater tank and had only 1/3 tank when we got to where we were going. I am a fire truck dealer and mechinc (27 years) I found the right fix for this and talked to factory about it and advised them they better do it to all units. I ran 1/2 hose to all vent ports on tank using a tee fitting at each port and then ran hose up to fill station vent port. It works great. This is the way it should have been done at the factory. I sent them pictures of before and after. I have fixed many things I did not like on this unit. I love the unit But it has many things that should have never left the factory like this . I will make it right. But many of you may not be able to do it yourself like I can. I have pictures if any of you would like them. Just send me a e-mail. I am in touch with the factory about my fixes and trying to help them make a better unit. They are close to having a really nice unit. They just need to get the **** you do not see behind the walls right! Jason at heartland has been great and he likes the input from me. I just want to help them get things right. We love our rig and I love working on things like this. I like to see if I can do it better than they can.

Last edited:

jpmorgan37

Loco;
Can you keep the four letter words out of the post? Some of the ladies that read the forum may not appreciate them, and though I'm no lady, that includes me.
John

Wild Wind

I agree, and I find more & more & more & more & more ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------ & more hidden stuff everyday, I don't know how the Heart poeple can sleep at nite !