test the 7-pin box?

Hi:

New to site. I was wondering if anyone knows of a way to test the 7 way pin box on the truck. I can test the flat hook-up with the 4 pins because my truck came with the converter to convert from 7 pin to 4 pin and I used a small 4 pin tester I purchased at princess auto (found the fuses for the signal/brake lights blown!). Can you get a 7 pin tester? I could not find one. I would like to see if the electric brake is working because my trailer is stored far away from where I live. I had to replace the 7 pin box because the one on my truck got busted over the winter on the extremely bad roads I travel on. Any help on how to check the electric brake pin?
Also, Anyone who may be travelling through Churchill Falls, Labrador, Canada, and needs any help, or wants anything, just drop me a line and I will help all I can. The road through here has been known to play havoc on some unsuspecting travelers.

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
labradortow, you will need a multimeter or simillar voltage tester. Then go to THIS site and you will find what you are looking for. Note, that the diagram is of the back side of the plug.

Peace
Dave

truknutt

Committed Member
I keep this little tester in my kit bag. It's called the DE-BUG™ PLUG 7-WAY AND 4-WAY CIRCUIT TESTER and it's available from JC Whitney, Sears, or eBay.

As far as test your brake output, this tester will only indicate if your connection is good. You'll have to use cookie's method to see if the correct voltage is being supplied.

Attachments

• Debug tester.jpg
    Debug tester.jpg
    24.3 KB · Views: 8
Thanks for the info. The link that Cookie provided shows the wiring but not how to test the brake wiring on the truck side. I will try to find the DE-BUG suggested by truknutt. thanks again.

DMitch

Take a DC Volt meter as Cookie suggested and put the red lead in the brake wire hole and ground the black lead to the truck or into the ground wire hole on the 7 pin plug. Have someone try the brakes and you should see voltage on the meter when the brakes are applied. The amount of voltage may vary depending on the type of brake controller you have.