Cummins Onan generator

The Bird

We took delivery of our new 3010 on June 10th.We are having generator problems. My husband did some troubleshooting and came up with Engine Stopped Fault - Code #36.
1. Gasoline Models - Check and fill the fuel tank as necessary ( Note: The genset fuel pickup tube is probably higher up in the fuel tank than the vehicle engine pickup.)

Engine stopped without command by controller. It is a gas model and the fuel tank is 3/4 full. We cannot hear the fuel pump working when pushing the primer button. Sometimes we can get it to prime and then it runs for about 1 minute and stops.

Any suggestions before we take it back to the dealer???????

Thank you for your time!
Robin and Dan Mack

porthole

Retired
Since my 3010 will be finished today I will be following this thread.

Have you check for a fuel shutoff valve - either at he tank or at the genset?

truknutt

Committed Member
We took delivery of our new 3010 on June 10th.We are having generator problems. My husband did some troubleshooting and came up with Engine Stopped Fault - Code #36.
1. Gasoline Models - Check and fill the fuel tank as necessary ( Note: The genset fuel pickup tube is probably higher up in the fuel tank than the vehicle engine pickup.)

Engine stopped without command by controller. It is a gas model and the fuel tank is 3/4 full. We cannot hear the fuel pump working when pushing the primer button. Sometimes we can get it to prime and then it runs for about 1 minute and stops.

Any suggestions before we take it back to the dealer???????

Thank you for your time!
Robin and Dan Mack

Robin,

Are you priming and starting from the genset or from inside at the monitor panel? From my panel I cannot hear the fuel pump so I rely on the button lamp. On my 3210 (same length as your 3010 so I assume similar fuel line distance) I have to press the Prime button 3 times (press wait for lamp to go out, press, wait, press) before the Genset will start and stay running. Then it clears its throat and you can hear the transfer switch kick in.

On my last genset I had a debris blockage in the fuel line. I hooked up a small piece of line and ran it directly into a fuel can and the genset ran fine proving to me that the fuel pump and fuel filter were okay. Luckily, I was able to clear the blockage with an air compressor. If you don't want to fool with it and you're close, that's easily a dealer fix.
Hope this helps.

Dave

Mike Aplin

I ask that you please check with Heartlands customer service when it comes to all service questions. You could also notify Onan as they are the manufacturer of the generator. Mike

viking4545

I had the same problem on my 3795 and as it turned out it was a bad fuel pump. The dealer did the repair and havent had a problem since.

NewCyclone

Did the dealer run the generator when you did your PDI? If not, you may have the same thing ours did, a bad carburator. When I first moved to California in 2008, I went about three months without running my generator. During that time the fuel gummed up and messed up the carborator. I took it in and it was replaced and now it runs great. Each month my wife and I start the generator and let it run under load for about two hours.

Northern Virginia
If the fuel pump has a stake on fitting for the positive wire (most do) you can pull this a part and run a jumper wire from the battery or the positive connection on the starter solenoid. You should hear the fuel pump. If the pump is working, I would loosen the fuel line at the nut where it enters the carb and see if it is pumping fuel to that point. Report back what you find.

John

jimtoo

This is a kinda old thread. It was started in July and the OP has not been back on the forum in 4 weeks.

We need to be very careful taking a fuel line loose and jumping electric power to check fuel pump. Sparks, or potential of, and gasoline do not mix.

Jim M

Northern Virginia
Yes, you are right Jim-that is an excellent point. I meant that as two separate steps and should have made that clear.

I didn't notice the OP date and that he hasn't posted for a while. Guess I am a little late.

djcash

Just came home from taking my 2010 Cyclone to the Onan service dealer. They have handed me a jar with gas from my tank with shavings of some sort in it. They state that the shavings blocked the filter and ruined the pump. They handed me a bill for $650 for four hours of service, a new filter, and a new pump. Not covered under warranty because it is a installation issue. My issue is that I initially took the camper to RCD RV in Ohio and asked them why the generator never worked since picking it up at Holman Rv in Cincinnati. They checked it and said the problem was with the Generator and I needed to take it to the Onan dealer for service. They gave me a bill for $50. I have only had the camper since July and the generator has never worked. I still have to get someone to empty and clean the tank. I am counting on Heartland to help me get this resolved. I am out $700 at this point.

jbeletti

dj,

Please contact the Heartland Customer Service Department directly, by phone at 877-262-8032. Explain the matter to them. Have your VIN ready too.

Thanks,

Jim