Diesel fuel availability

Jim Posz

I just took delivery of a new Silverado 2500 with Duramax diesel. It's the first diesel vehicle I've ever owned and I have a few stupid questions about fueling on the road.

It requires the new ultra low sulfur diesel. Is that pretty much the only thing being sold in the US and Canada or do I have to watch out to find the right stuff?

Can I fill at the pumps the 18 wheelers use, or do we need to look for diesel fuel in the automotive area?

Are there areas in the country where diesel is particularly hard to find?

I pull a 3300SK Sundance, and hope to spend less time in the creeper lane than I did with my 6.0 gas truck.

Ray LeTourneau

Senior Member - Past Moderator
Jim, Welcome to the Forum and the Heartland Family. You won't have any trouble finding ULS fuel. I don't know about the newer trucks but my 04 Chevy fills very slow. When I fuel up at the truck islands, the large nozzle doesn't fit well and I pretty much have to hold the lever open. The first notch on the nozzle is to high a rate of flow and it kicks off. Maybe the newer truck have a larger fill tube??? Not too sure about Canada either as far as sulpher content.

buckeyebob

most statins are ultra low sulfur,however all the marathon stations in amish country (mid ohio) were low sulfur,not ultra low.my tank fills fast and dont worry you wont be in the slow lane unless you want to !!!!!beware of fuel jelling in winter and add an anti jelling additive if its below 32.my fuel filter jelled up 3 times in ohio last winter. buckeyebob

klindgren

Retired Virginia Chapter Leaders
most statins are ultra low sulfur,however all the marathon stations in amish country (mid ohio) were low sulfur,not ultra low.my tank fills fast and dont worry you wont be in the slow lane unless you want to !!!!!beware of fuel jelling in winter and add an anti jelling additive if its below 32.my fuel filter jelled up 3 times in ohio last winter. buckeyebob

Just goes to show you Buckeybob, if you'd move to the sunny south, you wouldn't have that problem My fuel filters never jelled up. :):)

If at all possible I try to use the "big" truck islands at gas stations. The regular auto islands with a diesel pump, usually have the small nozzles and the fuel comes out as slow as "jellied fuel in Ohio in winter.":D My truck handles the bigger nozzles quite well.

Keith

truknutt

Committed Member
I just took delivery of a new Silverado 2500 with Duramax diesel. It's the first diesel vehicle I've ever owned and I have a few stupid questions about fueling on the road.

It requires the new ultra low sulfur diesel. Is that pretty much the only thing being sold in the US and Canada or do I have to watch out to find the right stuff?

Can I fill at the pumps the 18 wheelers use, or do we need to look for diesel fuel in the automotive area?

Are there areas in the country where diesel is particularly hard to find?

I pull a 3300SK Sundance, and hope to spend less time in the creeper lane than I did with my 6.0 gas truck.

First, congrats on the new truck. You should notice quite a difference in towing power over your 6.0L

Second, while ULSD is available just about everywhere there are some stations that sell BOTH ULSD AND LSD. Check out this diesel listing for Flying J and notice that some stations carry both but at the same price! :eek:

Third, if you haven't noticed already, diesel fuel tends to be a bit "foamy". I spend just as much time at the car islands waiting for the foam to subside in order to get a FULL tank (to the brim) as I do at the truck islands with the big nozzles. This is a great time to let the blood return to your toes after that last long driving stint. :p If you do become accustomed to using car islands, make darn sure your Sundance fits under the overhang or you may end up in a YouTube video!!!! :eek:

Best advice is to thoroughly read your owner's manual since this is your first diesel. Have fun and enjoy the new ride. ;)

P.S. Even though I'm a "Blue" kinda guy, we all love to see pics of new trucks!! :rolleyes:

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
If you want real confusion, get to a pump with stickers for ULSD and LSD on it! Asked the hayseed which one it was and all he knew was that it was "premium diesel." It was a stand-alone pump, away from the auto islands. Guess it was OK, haven't had any problems (only needed half a tank). Even though my truck is new, I still add 4 oz. of Diesel Kleen after every 1/2 tank fill up. Purrs like a kitten, it does.

truknutt

Committed Member
If you want real confusion, get to a pump with stickers for ULSD and LSD on it! Asked the hayseed which one it was and all he knew was that it was "premium diesel." It was a stand-alone pump, away from the auto islands. Guess it was OK, haven't had any problems (only needed half a tank). Even though my truck is new, I still add 4 oz. of Diesel Kleen after every 1/2 tank fill up. Purrs like a kitten, it does.

Now now now.. "Hayseed" is a little strong. He did have a job and probably was told to just "...go put this new ULSD label on that thar pump." Management probably never told him to remove or cover the old label. Obviously they failed to follow up on their job tasking!!! :rolleyes: Take that you managers!! :D

But then again, they could have dumped ULSD into the tank that still had a little LSD in it so therefore "Hayseed" would have been correct in that the tank/pump had BOTH!!! :rolleyes:

boatto5er

Founding VA Chap Ldr (Ret)
Now now now.. "Hayseed" is a little strong. He did have a job and probably was told to just "...go put this new ULSD label on that thar pump." Management probably never told him to remove or cover the old label. Obviously they failed to follow up on their job tasking!!! :rolleyes: Take that you managers!! :D

But then again, they could have dumped ULSD into the tank that still had a little LSD in it so therefore "Hayseed" would have been correct in that the tank/pump had BOTH!!! :rolleyes:

Back when I was in college (we won't put dates here:eek:) LSD was quite popular!:D

Peteandsharon

It's kinda interesting how I can find creative new ways to be thick headed. My '99 Ford F250 short bed could only use the automotive diesel pumps because the fillup port was restricted in size so that only the skinny nozzle would fit in there. So..... I purchased my new F250 which does not have that restricted fillup. However, after almost 11 years of looking for the automotive diesel it never registered with me that I no longer have that restriction. I circled a gas station the other day looking for the one automotive diesel pump since in my mind, that was the only one I could use. Just this morning, I read this posting and pictured my trucks fillup in my mind. Then the light came on that I am no longer restricted to the skinny nozzle. Filling up a few dozen times didn't make that light come on.

We were on Washington Island off the tip of Door County wisconsin yesterday and a lady on the island owned ostriches. She was explaining that the ostrich has a brain about the size of a grape. I have this feeling that I was meeting a few of my relatives.

Oh well, what can I say.

Pete

jmgratz

Original Owners Club Member
Don't strickly go by pump color. I have seen diesel pumps with green and yellow nozels and gasoline ones with green and yellow. Be sure you are putting diesel in your truck. It helps to put some Diesel Kleen in your truck. Helps lubricate your turbo and the rest that need lubrication. ULSD has less lubrication in it. Diesel Kleen also helps prevent gelling and helps clean injectors. One of the most damaging things to a diesel engine is dirt so be sure to regularly change the oil and keep the air cleaner changed often. I have 230000 on my F350 7.3 and hope to get another 230000. BTW I have found Flying J to be a great place to fuel up. They have a special island for RVers. Also get your RV discount card from the Flying J for a 1 cent a gallon discount. Congratulations on the new ride.

Delaine and Lindy

I know first hand about different color pump handles. People often give me strange looks when I smell the pump handle! I have been around Diesel engines all my life, and I made the mistake while in a hurry and pumped 27 gals of gas in my Duramax at a BP station and all the handles were green. Had it towed to the GM dealership and they removed the gas and put in Diesel never had a issue ($535.00 ). I have never had a problem finding ULSD, and in most major Truck Stops you shouldn't have a problem. The 2006 Freightliner we have doesn't have to have ULSD and I don't have to worry about idle time. However we try to use Flying J's as much as possible but they have sold out to Pilot which in my opinion usn't good Diesel price will go up. GBY......

wdk450

Fueling

I won't get into the USLD, LSD, etc. discussion. I did want to say that on a recent thread I posted that I believe that it is best to fuel when the trailer is unhitched, if you can. Do your fueling before you hook up in the morning or after you unhitch in the evening, if you can. It's a lot easier than trying to manuever 60 feet of rig through a gas station.

santafedave

Santafedave
Diesel Boss dot com

Hey. Go to Dieselboss.com and check out the different stations. They actually have a list of ULSD and LSD and which station has both. I have noticed in California that the yellow handles at the Tesoro station are for Biodiesel at 5% blend and it is about .20 cents cheaper per gallon. Good luck with your new rig. D.

gdog

gdog
Since you are on the diesel questions what about diesel purchased in Mexico?
I have a duramax (07) Lbz engine.
Thanks
gdog

Delaine and Lindy

Almost forgot we don't have a problem with fueling to often, our FL has two 80 gal tanks. So we don't have to fuel very often. But when we do, its Ouch time. I use Diesel Boss on every trip, and know were we will get fuel and the best price. GBY....

tweber

Founding Wisconsin Chapter Leader-Retired
I can imagine LSD was popular back then, but it did not go in a diesel buel tank. I seem to remember it may have caused some people to try and fly.