Remote Thermostats

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
Along the topic of changing the analog thermostats to the Hunter digitals, we've got someone with a remote thermostat being installed in a new 3670. The remote needs to be pointed at the A/C unit to function. Looking at the Dometic site, all they show are the regular analog model and their digital control center. Anybody got a different brand (other than Dometic/Duo-Therm) of thermostat as OEM in their rigs?

mrcomer

Past Ohio Chapter Leaders (Founding)
Hey John,
I believe what has happened is that there are some Carrier units being installed the reason being from what I have heard is that Dometic had a fire in one of their plants and has had a major affect on getting AC units among other things. I do believe that Carrier does have a remote Tstat but from what I have gathered over the years is that the remotes type units are poor performers and most people end up getting a hard wired remote Tstat installed.

Mark

itsbeertime

I've got a Carrier AC and digital thermostat in mine. Although everyone (HL, Carrier, etc.) wants to keep telling me it's a remote 'stat it is not. There are said to be problems with the remote ones "catching up", mine has problems knowing what temp it is. It's about 6-8* off.

JohnDar

I've got a Carrier AC and digital thermostat in mine. Although everyone (HL, Carrier, etc.) wants to keep telling me it's a remote 'stat it is not. There are said to be problems with the remote ones "catching up", mine has problems knowing what temp it is. It's about 6-8* off.

Is there anything on the wall like a thermostat, beside the one for a FanTastic fan? Or does the receiver in the A/C also work the furnace?

FWIW, the Hunter digital reading agrees with the other two thermometers I have inside and does a pretty good job of maintaining a fairly constant temperature.

mrcomer

Past Ohio Chapter Leaders (Founding)
clearing up a possible misunderstanding - FYI

"remote" doesn't necessarily mean wireless.

You can have a remote tstat that is hardwired mounted on a wall or you can have a remote tstat that is wireless.

These terms sometimes get mis-used and mis-understood so I thought I should try to clarify.

Mark

Fordsd250

We have a 2006 BH with the wireless remote control for the AC. I was able to wire the furnace to a Hunter controler. but cannot figure out the AC. I bet a new board has to be installed in the AC unit. The remote unit is not very accurate, and sometimes hard to use.:(

itsbeertime

Is there anything on the wall like a thermostat, beside the one for a FanTastic fan? Or does the receiver in the A/C also work the furnace?

FWIW, the Hunter digital reading agrees with the other two thermometers I have inside and does a pretty good job of maintaining a fairly constant temperature.
Yes, there is a regular Carrier digital thermostat on the wall right next to the remote Fantastic controller I had added. It controls both the AC and the furnace. I actually called HL and they didn't know much about it since they recently started using Carrier, they had me call Carrier who told me it sounded like an issue with the sending unit or something in the AC and to have my dealer call them and they'd walk them through it so at least it's a little closer temp wise than it is now.

mrcommer said:
"remote" doesn't necessarily mean wireless.

You can have a remote tstat that is hardwired mounted on a wall or you can have a remote tstat that is wireless.

These terms sometimes get mis-used and mis-understood so I thought I should try to clarify.
Thanks. I understand. No, they are insisting it's one you can remove from the wall, like my Fantastic remote. But it isn't. Well, I guess if I took the screws out I could remove it from the wall, but what would that accomplish. :D At any rate, it's not an issue. I don't need a wireless thermostat. Just one that I don't have to turn down to 68 to get it to be 75 in the coach would be nice.

JohnDar

Hmmmm?? So, if you have a wireless remote for the thermostat, I'm guessing that the little thing you're holding onto just remotely makes changes to the thing on the wall...which is most likely hardwired to the A/C and furnace. Removing the screws that hold it to the wall may reveal the wiring that needs to be connected to a better thermostat. Why a remote? Even with a 38 ft. trailer, the thermostat is no more than 14 ft. away. With the Hunter, you put in the heat or cool set point, and it tries to maintain it pretty close. Once I set it, I forget it. More so than the OEM analog slider with the one inch temperature scale.

itsbeertime

Lol, now I'm getting confused. I don't have a wireless remote for the A/C and furnace. It is hardwired to the wall in the hallway right at the top of the steps outside the bathroom. But, it is a digital thermostat, not analog. I looked at the Carrier website and they don't show this thermostat of course, I'll have to take a picture, but the picture below is the wireless one everyone seems to THINK I have, which I do not. I really don't mind not having a wireless. That's not an issue. My issue is when the thermostat reads 76* and the A/C shuts off it is really more like 84* in the coach. That's how far off it is.
Btmairv.jpg

boatto5er

Founding VA Chap Ldr (Ret)
Some thermostats have a "Thermostat Heat Anticipator" in them. I don't know if the Carrier has anything like this in it, but by taking off the cover you may be able to see an adjustment lever or slide. If you have one, you may be able to re-calibrate your thermostat so the reading equals the actual temperature. Most older analog therostats had these - I'm not sure the digital models do.

itsbeertime

Some thermostats have a "Thermostat Heat Anticipator" in them. I don't know if the Carrier has anything like this in it, but by taking off the cover you may be able to see an adjustment lever or slide. If you have one, you may be able to re-calibrate your thermostat so the reading equals the actual temperature. Most older analog therostats had these - I'm not sure the digital models do.
Thanks, I called Carrier and he said there were no calibration adjustments. He said it sounded like it was the sending unit in the A/C itself and my dealer could call them and they would explain how to correct it. Maybe I'll actually get to my dealer before Summer is over at this rate. :rolleyes:

rick_debbie_gallant

That is the same one that I have in my 2010 3670rl. However, I am able to remove the darn thing from its holder and take it to my easy chair. Why, I don't know but I can.

JohnDar

Ah, there's the difference. Rick's design looks like it does pop out of the holder (note the two "clips" on the side of the picture) and can act as a remote. IBT's is hardwired.

rick_debbie_gallant

I think the reciever at the a/c unit it self. There is a little light visible and when you adjust or change the thermostat you hear a little "beep". I will try and take a picture of it. Looks like I will have to live with it. So far no problems..

JohnDar

Rick, yours may work just fine. Changing the Dometic analog thermostats was a good thing because all you had for temperature reference was a one inch long scale. And they didn't seem to hold a close tolerance on the setting (if you could figure out what it was). With the digital Hunter, it holds pretty close and you can actually see what the temp is.